Fiio M9+A5 Amp vs. Fiio M11
Jun 19, 2019 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

SkaKidCaleb

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone this is my first post, so please let me know if this isn’t the correct place or if I’m doing something wrong.

So, about a month ago I got a Fiio M9 and I have it paired with my A5 amp. I use an HD6xx and the Tin T2 IEMs with it and I love the sound. However, the M11 came out shortly after and I’m wondering if there’s there’s any major incentive to sell my m9 and get an m11. I know the m11 is faster, has a bigger screen, and is supposed to have some improved sound quality, but because of the size of the m11, it wouldn’t really make sense to use the A5 with it. The M9+A5 fits together PERFECTLY with the included rubber bands so it’s quite the compact DAP/Amp combo. Basically, would someone who has both devices share their thoughts on how the M9+A5 sounds vs the M11 on its own, and if it’s enough of a difference to upgrade players. Thanks in advance:)

Nov 22, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #5 of 10
Hi - I have the M11 and have been using it without amp on my Sennheiser HD800 headphones - the best sound ever (well for me anyways). I also have the Fiio X5II married to the Fiio A5 amp. Let me just say that once I began listening to the M11 I have not picked up the X5II and sadly it is gathering dust.

Mar 4, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #6 of 10
Hi everyone this is my first post, so please let me know if this isn’t the correct place or if I’m doing something wrong.

So, about a month ago I got a Fiio M9 and I have it paired with my A5 amp. I use an HD6xx and the Tin T2 IEMs with it and I love the sound. However, the M11 came out shortly after and I’m wondering if there’s there’s any major incentive to sell my m9 and get an m11. I know the m11 is faster, has a bigger screen, and is supposed to have some improved sound quality, but because of the size of the m11, it wouldn’t really make sense to use the A5 with it. The M9+A5 fits together PERFECTLY with the included rubber bands so it’s quite the compact DAP/Amp combo. Basically, would someone who has both devices share their thoughts on how the M9+A5 sounds vs the M11 on its own, and if it’s enough of a difference to upgrade players. Thanks in advance:)

Did you ever get the M11? Did you ever pair it to the A5?
I have a X5iii+A5 and I am wondering if I should get the FiiO M9 or sell everything and get the M11. Please let me know

I have Aeons 2 Closed and iBasso IT01 (maybe Tin T4 +balance cable coming soon)
I use my setup both on desktop and portable

Mar 4, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #7 of 10
Update- I did end up selling my M9 back in September and getting the M11 and I love it! Not only does the M11 sound better than the M9, the user interface is so much snappier and intuitive. I still held onto the A5 however, and find that it does provide more gain than the M11 alone can provide. The only time I ever use the A5 amp+M11 is if I'm listening to some very low volume music with my Sennheiser HD6xx's. I mostly listen with the Tin T4 IEM's with a balanced connection and can't get enough of the sound! I know the M11 pro and M15 are out now, but I can't see myself upgrading. For the price and what you get, the M11 is a win in my book!

Mar 4, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #8 of 10
Excellent!! This is exactly what I wanted to hear.

I am keeping my A5 and selling my old X5iii to get the M11. - I am also getting the Tin 4 as balanced so you just answered like 4 of my questions for me! I appreciate it.
I want to keep my A5 to use my planars (Aeon 2C and HE560)

From what I read there is really no point in getting the M11 Pro and I am not willing to spend that much on an M15.

Is the size difference too annoying when you stack them?
Have you tried the M11 as USB dac?

Mar 4, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #9 of 10
Excellent!! This is exactly what I wanted to hear.

I am keeping my A5 and selling my old X5iii to get the M11. - I am also getting the Tin 4 as balanced so you just answered like 4 of my questions for me! I appreciate it.
I want to keep my A5 to use my planars (Aeon 2C and HE560)

From what I read there is really no point in getting the M11 Pro and I am not willing to spend that much on an M15.

Is the size difference too annoying when you stack them?
Have you tried the M11 as USB dac?

Awesome, I'm glad I could help:) I got my Tin T4s back when they released on indegogo and they are now my number one listening IEM.

As far as the size when the A5+M11 are stacked, I would definitely say it makes it a lot less "portable" in the sense that you aren't just going to slip it in your pocket. I really only use the two when I'm at home and I can sit down and listen to the HD6xx and set the stack down on a desk or something.

One thing that took me forever to figure out is that in order to really make the unit work properly as a USB DAC, you have to mess with some computer settings. When I plug the M11 and put into USB DAC mode on my macbook, it defaults to a sample rate of 44.1/48k output. I'm not sure why this is, but it makes the audio lag and lose sync when playing video. You have to go in a setting on the mac called Audio MIDI Setup and change the M11's sample rate to 192 or higher in order for audio and video to sync up.

Mar 6, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #10 of 10
Awesome, I'm glad I could help:) I got my Tin T4s back when they released on indegogo and they are now my number one listening IEM.

As far as the size when the A5+M11 are stacked, I would definitely say it makes it a lot less "portable" in the sense that you aren't just going to slip it in your pocket. I really only use the two when I'm at home and I can sit down and listen to the HD6xx and set the stack down on a desk or something.

One thing that took me forever to figure out is that in order to really make the unit work properly as a USB DAC, you have to mess with some computer settings. When I plug the M11 and put into USB DAC mode on my macbook, it defaults to a sample rate of 44.1/48k output. I'm not sure why this is, but it makes the audio lag and lose sync when playing video. You have to go in a setting on the mac called Audio MIDI Setup and change the M11's sample rate to 192 or higher in order for audio and video to sync up.

Thanks for all the help. I would probably only use my A5 when with my Aeon 2 Closed.
I have some T4s on my shopping cart right now and IDK if I should pull the trigger it has some bad reviews about the cable but I don't mind getting a nicer MCMX cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back