[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Feb 28, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #3,151 of 3,610
Man, this blows. After trying several different versions of installing Google Account, Service Framework, Play Service, and Play, it's always the same. First two install. Once Play Service is installed, the Service Framework goes into a loop of stopping. Luckily one can either restart in Safe Mode or click quickly between modal dialog boxes and uninstall the Play Service.

If UAPP publishers would just deliver an unlock app like some other players I purchased in the past, Play would be unnecessary. :frowning2:

EDIT: with all those many posts above the last few days, and time spend on getting UAPP to work today ... Man, what a waste of time!

I finally got my Mojo to both take a charge, start, and found the right combination of USB C, A, and micro B adapters and cables, that I could stream over USB from the M6 to the Mojo. It displays the sample rate using the color of the power light.

Lo and behold, the M6 is NOT resampling to 48kHz and is passing everything up to 24-bit 192kHz to the Mojo!

I'm thrilled. Just wish I turned my attention to that this morning instead of trying to get Google Play and the UAPP working on this thing first. Ugh & lol. Still, pretty thrilled tho!!!

Yeah, I tried the same tricks on the M11 and everybody over there has tried everything to make it work. Unfortunately, it's just limited by the android version. UAPP would be killer on the M11(let alone the rest of Fiio's devices) but it's just not in the cards with the current chipset.

Mar 2, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #3,152 of 3,610
Hey all, I've got a problem with my Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones and my new M6. If I use LDAC in Sound Quality First mode, the audio skips so badly that it's unusable. I also get skipping/stuttering audio if I use LDAC-Standard. The only LDAC mode that does NOT stutter is Connection First. This is happening while streaming Tidal set to Master quality. Since LDAC support was the main reason I bought the M6, this is not good, and I'll be sending the device back if I can't get it resolved. I'll be using it to stream Tidal almost exclusively, so I haven't tried it with local music files yet, because even if I don't have the problem with local files it won't matter for my intended use.

I'm experiencing this problem both at home and at work - two different and very capable Wifi networks. I've updated the M6 to the latest firmware (1.02). I've updated the Tidal app to the latest available version. I still get terrible stuttering and skipping using LDAC in any mode other than Connection First.

Anyone else here having troubles like these?
Yes I have exactly the same problem. However I can confirm that the sound quality is still exellent on “Connection First” and its a very stable connection.
I have been testing Tidal and Deezer HiFi and both sound brilliant on the Sony WH 1000XM3 and the In ear Sony WF1000 XM3 even though the latter are not LDAC and the Fiio has no AAC so its interesting.

Mar 2, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #3,153 of 3,610
Hey all, I've got a problem with my Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones and my new M6. If I use LDAC in Sound Quality First mode, the audio skips so badly that it's unusable
Same with my Samsung Note 8 to Audeze Mobius. Dont hold it against the M6. I blame the LDAC standard or implementation's inability to operate at max quality in a real world noisy RF environment and real world distance between source and headphone.

Mar 3, 2020 at 12:05 AM Post #3,154 of 3,610
Same with my Samsung Note 8 to Audeze Mobius. Dont hold it against the M6. I blame the LDAC standard or implementation's inability to operate at max quality in a real world noisy RF environment and real world distance between source and headphone.

Unlike my V30 and S9 the M6 works at adaptive connection only. True. But it sounds damn good, vrtually no difference in perceptual sound quality. A nuisance yes, but a joy too. Bluetooth is compressed by nature but LDAC adaptive is still a great codec.

Mar 4, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #3,156 of 3,610
So. Is UAPP worth it on the M6, compared to just using Tidals own app? Will SQ improve?
Speaking for myself, nothing to do with the streaming services ... I wanted it for when my M6 acts as a USB Audio Out USB source.

UAPP and their custom driver proved far superior to Neutron when streaming from my Note 8 to my PDV2 for me. I expected the same on the M6. But, not sure there. (I did not try the trial)

That's primary. Secondary is there are certain FiiO Music UI & UX quirks I dislike. UAPP is an alternate UI & UX to it I like better.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #3,157 of 3,610
Speaking for myself, nothing to do with the streaming services ... I wanted it for when my M6 acts as a USB Audio Out USB source.

UAPP and their custom driver proved far superior to Neutron when streaming from my Note 8 to my PDV2 for me. I expected the same on the M6. But, not sure there. (I did not try the trial)

That's primary. Secondary is there are certain FiiO Music UI & UX quirks I dislike. UAPP is an alternate UI & UX to it I like better.
Alright. I don't really use any other sources then Tidal on the M6, so I think I'll stick with just the app...

Edit: When player Master-tracks in Tidal, it almost always skips at the beginning of the song. Have not noticed this when a song is "Hifi". Any idea what to to? I'm on Tidal 2.19

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #3,158 of 3,610
Anyone think the M6 has enough horsepower that it will get the new firmware update that includes the Play Store like the upper end M11 just got?

FiiO wrote this about a year ago ...

Dear friend,

In Android 7.0 or newer Android version, the Google play service is only supported after passing the GMS certification. Currently, Google has closed the channel of GMS certification for version before Android 9.0.
Since any development for the M11 should be based on the SoC used--Samsung 7872 and its Software Development Kit (SDK). But unfortunately, the supplier can only provide it in Android 7.0. So we can’t find a solution to upgrade to higher version while bypassing the provided SDK. Hope you can kindly understand.

But as it just got the Play Store I have to assume that has changed. Could it be in the works for M6 too? It uses the same SoC, right? So it would seem it should be imminent on the M6 too.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #3,159 of 3,610
Anyone think the M6 has enough horsepower that it will get the new firmware update that includes the Play Store like the upper end M11 just got?

FiiO wrote this about a year ago ...
But as it just got the Play Store I have to assume that has changed. Could it be in the works for M6 too? It uses the same SoC, right? So it would seem it should be imminent on the M6 too.

The M6 uses a 7270
M11 uses 7872
https://www.fiio.com/m11_comparisons

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #3,160 of 3,610
Mar 17, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #3,161 of 3,610
Just checking in.

I think I've found my Fiio M6 sweet spot. Nice little player if you can look beyond its initial shortcomings.

I use Pulsar as my player. I play my files locally. I encode to Ogg q8. Album art is in the same directory as the album named cover.jpg. Line out to an ifi xCan.

I've got a lot of complaints with the Fiio Music app but I guess that's for another venue.

Mar 17, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #3,162 of 3,610
I just wish there was someway of installing and using UAPP! @Davy Wentzler I hope you're listening :D

Mar 18, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #3,163 of 3,610
I remember reading in this thread last year that Spotify did not work for some when using the M6 as a transport to another USB DAC...is that still the case or is Spotify confirmed working? Also, is audio resampled to 48kHz per typical Android audio layer? Thank you much, been wanting to nab one of these and a CL06 cable for my Opus #11.

Apr 2, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #3,164 of 3,610
This may be a stupid question but I can't find the answer by searching online - when using the M6 as a bluetooth receiver can you simultaneously use BT headphones? Or is it the case that BT can only be used one way and you can only used wired headphones?

I want to stream music from my smartphone, use the M6 as a DAC and also connect BT headphones. I've tried but I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or it can't be done.

Thanks also to whoever pointed out above that you need to use LDAC connection first when using Tidal masters to avoid skipping/stuttering, I have the same issue with WH-1000MX3 and thought it was RAM related.

Apr 2, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #3,165 of 3,610
This may be a stupid question but I can't find the answer by searching online - when using the M6 as a bluetooth receiver can you simultaneously use BT headphones? Or is it the case that BT can only be used one way and you can only used wired headphones?

I want to stream music from my smartphone, use the M6 as a DAC and also connect BT headphones. I've tried but I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or it can't be done.

Thanks also to whoever pointed out above that you need to use LDAC connection first when using Tidal masters to avoid skipping/stuttering, I have the same issue with WH-1000MX3 and thought it was RAM related.
No
You are better of connecting the BT HPs directly to your phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back