[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Feb 15, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #1,231 of 3,610
@FiiO

please can I have a response to the above?

Also ref the folder view, why is the text truncated ? And why have the folder icon taking up valuable real estate? the width should be used in its entirety to MAXIMISE the folder text. Even the play buttons for each folder is superfluous; short press to open folder, long press to play, for example.

Also in album view, it would great to see the Artist also as a subset of the information

These "little" things would make the player so great!

Or simply whitelist some 3rd party players, like UAPP for example.

I confirm the same bad behavior on my M6 and also on my mobile phone.
I also did the same test, looking for Genesis.
Actually, it's not clear why you can not search for albums, maybe because there's the album search, but what we want is to search by Artist / Album ...

Feb 15, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #1,232 of 3,610
yeah, I have one on order from Amazon.ca and I'm waiting anxiously for the 21st...but I'm pretty sure I won't be getting a notification of shipment! lol...

Bestbuy.ca shows the M6 available for sale "online only" now, fulfilled by a company called audiosource. Never heard of them but they don't have the M6 listed on the audiosource site. So they must be doing what avgearshop does for amazon.ca and fulfills the Best Buy orders before selling the products from their site.

Feb 15, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #1,233 of 3,610
Cool, but unless there is a huge difference from A45 to A55 the Sony will have more coloration than the m6- m6 is quite neutral, and on the thinner sounding side, the Sony is more v shaped and a bit more exciting/musical/fuller sounding. The m6 is more linear, flatter, accurate, more neutral whatever you want to call it.

He probably will like the sound of the Sony- Most Sonys have that warmth and v shaped kind of sound- except for the wm 1A and to a lesser extent the ZX300. Oh,and the m6 sounds different from mo. :wink: Treble and bass are more in line and the mids are more present., and the stage is wider.

Yes warm sound for a long time was considered premium sound, the warmer the better. Times have changed in that regard but old timers like me still look for that warmer sound. It is disappointing that after the A35 stores in Toronto stopped carrying the A series. I would like to compare the A series DAP sound to other DAP's to see if it is still worth considering the A55. It is still not listed on the sony.com site so who knows when or if it will be available here.

Feb 15, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #1,234 of 3,610
Yes warm sound for a long time was considered premium sound, the warmer the better. Times have changed in that regard but old timers like me still look for that warmer sound. It is disappointing that after the A35 stores in Toronto stopped carrying the A series. I would like to compare the A series DAP sound to other DAP's to see if it is still worth considering the A55. It is still not listed on the sony.com site so who knows when or if it will be available here.

I think there is a danger when one says the M6 is not warm compared to the Sony's. I have had many Sony music players and do agree that some can be warmer. But the FiiO M6 has enough musicality, smoothness and even sophistication to make it a wrong comparison. Maybe it is better to say what the M6 is not. It is not thin, it is not dry, it is not muffled, it is not lacking, it is not cool at all. There is enough reality, richness, and impact to enjoy. It is one of those players that likes a bit of Wellie and the volume up. I listen to it every day for three or four hours. It's warmth is in the musicality, feeling and realism it conveys. Using the adjective warm may imply the M6 is relatively cool. It is just not cool at all. What is for sure you have to listen to the FiiO M6 to know it.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #1,235 of 3,610
I think there is a danger when one says the M6 is not warm compared to the Sony's. I have had many Sony music players and do agree that some can be warmer. But the FiiO M6 has enough musicality, smoothness and even sophistication to make it a wrong comparison. Maybe it is better to say what the M6 is not. It is not thin, it is not dry, it is not muffled, it is not lacking, it is not cool at all. There is enough reality, richness, and impact to enjoy. It is one of those players that likes a bit of Wellie and the volume up. I listen to it every day for three or four hours. It's warmth is in the musicality, feeling and realism it conveys. Using the adjective warm may imply the M6 is relatively cool. It is just not cool at all. What is for sure you have to listen to the FiiO M6 to know it.

That’s a pretty good way of putting it, when I say it isn’t warm I guess I mean the bass is accurate and the treble is well extended but not peaky or exaggerated. You definitely get more powerful and more rumbling bass with the Sony A45. Not that m6 bass is lacking it’s just different.

Feb 15, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #1,236 of 3,610
That’s a pretty good way of putting it, when I say it isn’t warm I guess I mean the bass is accurate and the treble is well extended but not peaky or exaggerated. You definitely get more powerful and more rumbling bass with the Sony A45. Not that m6 bass is lacking it’s just different.

Hello Abitdeef

What I find interesting about the M6 and the M9, even though they have different chipsets is that they, at least to me, present a very real musical experience. Warmth can often be a way of replacing the realism of music. It lasts about 5 minutes before something sounds missing. I haven't yet felt that about the M6 and have had it about a month. It definitely represents the best value for money I have ever had in a music player. It keeps me 'warm' inside.

Feb 15, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #1,237 of 3,610
Hello Abitdeef

What I find interesting about the M6 and the M9, even though they have different chipsets is that they, at least to me, present a very real musical experience. Warmth can often be a way of replacing the realism of music. It lasts about 5 minutes before something sounds missing. I haven't yet felt that about the M6 and have had it about a month. It definitely represents the best value for money I have ever had in a music player. It keeps me 'warm' inside.

I love the Bluetooth, going to the ES100 with LDAC it sounds magical. Sony magic again ‘LDAC’ :wink:

Feb 15, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #1,238 of 3,610
I love the Bluetooth, going to the ES100 with LDAC it sounds magical. Sony magic again ‘LDAC’ :wink:

I agree LDAC is in another league to even Aptx-HD and that is just streaming to HiFi, M9 LDAC to M6 LDAC, wired to Amp. I was tempted to get the ES100 but as I have both the M9 and the M6 I will try using the M9 to stream LDAC to the M6 in LDAC and hook up my Tin Audio T2's just to test the LDAC sound with earphones. I wonder if the M6 will stand up to the ES100?

Feb 15, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #1,239 of 3,610

That's just it depending on who is giving their review some say warm, some say neutral or cool, some say thin some say not thin. Some rate it better than others for sound quality, we all have our sound preferences and idea of what sounds good to us. Not to mention headphones used will have a big impact on how warm, or cool it sounds. So saying the sound is this or that needs caveats depending on headphones/earphones used, along with music genre etc.... Do you listen flat or use an eq yadda yadda yadda...

So I can't go by what someone says as to sound character unless we have the same headphones/earphones and listen to the same genre's of music and even the our definitions of sound character may still vary. No offence to anyone giving their opinion but only I can decide what I consider warm, cool or otherwise based on the DAP and headphones I use. This is the main reason I usually limit DAP's I buy to ones I can demo first. In a sense I will be taking a flyer on the M6 when I get it from the seller as I can't demo it before I receive. But for the price I am willing to risk it and if for some reason I don't like how it sounds I can probably sell it and make a little profit so no great risk. Especially if stock availability will be limited for awhile.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #1,240 of 3,610
I agree LDAC is in another league to even Aptx-HD and that is just streaming to HiFi, M9 LDAC to M6 LDAC, wired to Amp. I was tempted to get the ES100 but as I have both the M9 and the M6 I will try using the M9 to stream LDAC to the M6 in LDAC and hook up my Tin Audio T2's just to test the LDAC sound with earphones. I wonder if the M6 will stand up to the ES100?

I'm wondering as well.

Anyway I've heard the FiiO's DAP lags when using it as a USB DAC, Is it true for the M6 atm?

Feb 15, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #1,241 of 3,610
That's just it depending on who is giving their review some say warm, some say neutral or cool, some say thin some say not thin. Some rate it better than others for sound quality, we all have our sound preferences and idea of what sounds good to us. Not to mention headphones used will have a big impact on how warm, or cool it sounds. So saying the sound is this or that needs caveats depending on headphones/earphones used, along with music genre etc.... Do you listen flat or use an eq yadda yadda yadda...

So I can't go by what someone says as to sound character unless we have the same headphones/earphones and listen to the same genre's of music and even the our definitions of sound character may still vary. No offence to anyone giving their opinion but only I can decide what I consider warm, cool or otherwise based on the DAP and headphones I use. This is the main reason I usually limit DAP's I buy to ones I can demo first. In a sense I will be taking a flyer on the M6 when I get it from the seller as I can't demo it before I receive. But for the price I am willing to risk it and if for some reason I don't like how it sounds I can probably sell it and make a little profit so no great risk. Especially if stock availability will be limited for awhile.

That is what I was saying to you. You need to listen to them otherwise it's just word salad. At least I've listened to them and am taking empirically rather than just talk the talk. I prefer walk the walk otherwise it's just mental mumbling.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #1,242 of 3,610
I'm wondering as well.

Anyway I've heard the FiiO's DAP lags when using it as a USB DAC, Is it true for the M6 atm?

I'm right now listening to the FiiO M9 connected to and using the FiiO M6, with my T2s in, as an LDAC receiver (basic LDAC settings). I can't compare the M6 to the ES100 as I've never heard that, but I can say that the M6 sounds great as a LDAC receiver with my T2s. Anyone who has a mobile phone with LDAC and the M6 can try it although I can't get my Samsung S9+ to connect properly even though I've set it to LDAC in developer options.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #1,243 of 3,610
That is what I was saying to you. You need to listen to them otherwise it's just word salad. At least I've listened to them and am taking empirically rather than just talk the talk. I prefer walk the walk otherwise it's just mental mumbling.

Absolutely, you have to trust your own ears, I’m just giving my own opinion like everybody else, but I own or owned every dap I talk about and it’s pretty easy to get the general gist of a sound sig when you’ve heard so many units. Like the Sony A35, A45 had them both, they sounded almost indenticle with Sony’s nice stage and muscular bass and shimmery treble. It definitely has it’s own sound and that will carry over to any headphones, because it’s distinct.

M6 portrays things more a bit more linear and your headphones or Eq have more effect. To me it’s got that nice newer ESS sound. - opinion:wink:

Honestly There aren’t really any bad performing players anymore, just different flavours, and no sense into worring a lot about a 150 dollar player. It plays music very nicely and has great Bluetooth and streams music to boot. It’s a no brainer/winner in my book.

Feb 15, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #1,245 of 3,610
Honestly There aren’t really any bad performing players anymore, just different flavours, and no sense into worring a lot about a 150 dollar player. It plays music very nicely and has great Bluetooth and streams music to boot. It’s a no brainer/winner in my book.
Yeah I think it's better/smaller/cheaper SOCs/DACs etc and a lot of competition to force prices down. Because great stuff for 1000 dollars there's been for a while, but that's totally impossible for me :) That's the game that I like (more for less) and FiiO is helping on that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back