[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Jan 14, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #632 of 3,610
I've made a video about M6 vs R3. But don't expect an answer "which one is better"

Thanks
How about battery life and single ended performance between both.

Jan 14, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #634 of 3,610
Can the M6 give out good deep bass?

Well, I've listened to the M6 through my TRN V80 IEMs and Beyerdynamic DT250's 80Ohm cans.. And yes, the M6 manages to process really really deep bass. For testing bass quantity and quality I use a native super hi-res recording of Bach's church organ music, Mark Knopflers' "Sailing to Philadelphia" album and the Tomb Raider OST (with alot of bass heavy songs).
What impresses me most is the definition and quality of the bass. Especially with the TRN's. On many of my favorite rock music, I can now in many cases identify the type of bass guitar used. So for me this combination has the perfect balance between being somewhat analytical and straight on fun. Maybe the fact that the TRN V80 has 2 different size dynamic drivers has alot to do with that too.

Just my experience..

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #635 of 3,610
Hi again. Finally I was able to use the usb output to connect the M6 to the ODAC. The problem is the ODAC (usb powered) requires more power to work than the M6 is capable of giving. It doesn't work unless you cheat the M6 by using a powered USB hub between both devices. It even works when just placing a non-powered usb hub between them.

I still have another question to ask here. Has anybody tried using the M6 as an USB DAC and succesfully play DSD files not converted to PCM? What I'm trying to do is use Foobar2000 to play native DSD files directly to the M6. I wasn't able to do it. I think I have all the required drivers installed in foobar but no sound at all. PCM works perfectly. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #636 of 3,610
Hi again. Finally I was able to use the usb output to connect the M6 to the ODAC. The problem is the ODAC (usb powered) requires more power to work than the M6 is capable of giving. It doesn't work unless you cheat the M6 by using a powered USB hub between both devices. It even works when just placing a non-powered usb hub between them.

I still have another question to ask here. Has anybody tried using the M6 as an USB DAC and succesfully play DSD files not converted to PCM? What I'm trying to do is use Foobar2000 to play native DSD files directly to the M6. I wasn't able to do it. I think I have all the required drivers installed in foobar but no sound at all. PCM works perfectly. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
Did you try ASIO

Jan 14, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #637 of 3,610
I'm using Foobar2000 on windows 10.

I'm playing a SACD iso file. I have installed the SACD plug-in, and the Fiio DAC drivers. When I select PCM in the SACD menu it works, but when I select DSD, no sound at all.

Thanks for your help.

Jan 14, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #638 of 3,610
Got my M6 today, first impressions are very good, however I have two questions....

1) how do I get Spotify on to the Dap?

And

@FiiO

2) any ideas why the DLNA doesn't pick up my nas? The fiio app on my phone does perfectly yet the M6 doesn't see it at all (WiFi etc all connected correctly) - no media servers are found apparently

Cheers

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #639 of 3,610
Got my M6 today, first impressions are very good, however I have two questions....
1) how do I get Spotify on to the Dap?

Congrats I have one more month to wait!

Here you can get the apk :) you should upload it and install it via the File Manager
https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/139014.html

2) any ideas why the DLNA doesn't pick up my nas? The fiio app on my phone does perfectly yet the M6 doesn't see it at all (WiFi etc all connected correctly) - no media servers are found apparently

Maybe you might try via ES File Explorer? I'm curious about that too, would love to pick up stuff from my own NAS.

Jan 14, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #641 of 3,610
Thansk, I assume ES file explorer would also be a download APK?

Yep it's a widely used app in Android (I use it in my phone), it's fortunately whitelisted by FiiO, it's in the list in the same link I sent above.

Jan 14, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #643 of 3,610
Thanks, apologies for the questions - do I download the APK file to the root of the SD card and find it that way?

Do I delete the APK file afterwards?

No apologies this is all new stuff. As I don't have yet the M6 I'm in the dark in there. Someone indicated that you should run the apps in the M6 memory, not in the SD Card, so it runs faster (makes sense)
So I'd upload the APK to the M6 memory and install it from the File Manager.

Yep I'd delete the APK to preserve space. Again, all this by intuition and according to what I read until I get mine :D

Jan 14, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #644 of 3,610
I previously owned the BTR3, and liked the sound of this BT DAC very much, but was having connectivity issues when using the highest BT codecs (for more details, see this post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...hd-ldac-hwa-lhdc.886101/page-57#post-14703900)

I looked around for a DAP, which could play DNLA and Spotify and decided to go for the M6. The functionality is great, but sound-wise, I have the feeling it's not giving me the same as the BTR3 did.
The mids and highs are very good; clear and bright, but in the lows it sounds less .....eventfull?... almost flat. When listening to well produced rock or electro music it's not giving that OOMPH in the lows that puts a smile on my face when listening to this kinf of music.

Could this be because of a different DAC in both products?

I tried playing with the EQ in FIIO player, but the results are unsatisfactory....

Jan 14, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #645 of 3,610
Couple things i need to correct myself on. 1 - I said it heats up in USB DAC mode with laptop... it actually doesn't, like at all after several hours connected to my laptop watching tv. It must have been beforehand when i was messing about transferring songs and settings (tho it still was hot to touch). 2 - After concentrating solely on the M6 for 2 days it does actually have some decent weight in the sub bass, so i take that back. It's not super deep but still more than adequate... mid bass does still have bit more presence tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back