[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Jan 24, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #3,106 of 3,610
OK got it. Yep the M6, with the headphone jack on top, fits a shirt pocket well. Sink mode means the M6 is being used as a receiver. It will show LDAC if it can use that mode. If it shows SBC that's basic bluetooth mode. LDAC is really good. Way better than APTX and noticeably better than APTX HD too. I used to use Spotify connect, but in a different way.

Ah, I think it shows 'SBC' on mine. So when it shows 'SBC', is it using AptX or AptX or some other codec? I think in the setting I've got it set to 'LDAC first' or something similar.

How do you use Spotify connect exactly?

Jan 24, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #3,107 of 3,610
Ah, I think it shows 'SBC' on mine. So when it shows 'SBC', is it using AptX or AptX or some other codec? I think in the setting I've got it set to 'LDAC first' or something similar.

upload_2020-1-25_10-28-33.png

Jan 25, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #3,108 of 3,610

I don't know what phone or DAP you use? Check in Android developer options if your phone can output LDAC. Android 8.1 onwards does I think. Set it to the lower adaptive LDAC rate to start with. You may have to try a few times to get the M6 'sink' showing LDAC. Bluetooth SBC vs LDAC is no competition. With familiarity LDAC is way different.... way better. You could choose aptx or aptx HD if you prefer but if is SBC showing as the sink output will not stand up to the sound of LDAC.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #3,109 of 3,610

I don't know what phone or DAP you use? Check in Android developer options if your phone can output LDAC. Android 8.1 onwards does I think. Set it to the lower adaptive LDAC rate to start with. You may have to try a few times to get the M6 'sink' showing LDAC. Bluetooth SBC vs LDAC is no competition. With familiarity LDAC is way different.... way better. You could choose aptx or aptx HD if you prefer but if is SBC showing as the sink output will not stand up to the sound of LDAC.

I can't remember completely but Spotify on the M6 was unique to me for 'discovering' my wireless WiFi Arcam Airdac which can output DLNA. This meant I could get higher quality WiFi as opposed to 'compressed Bluetooth to my HiFi amp. That's a different capability of Spotify. I also used Spotify Connect to change from listening one DAP to another as they we're linked by Spotify. Nowadays I have a larger iFi Zen Blue DAC which receives LDAC from my phone or the M6 and gives a great LDAC sound to my amp and speakers whilst I lazily sit on my settee drinking tea or wine.

Jan 25, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #3,110 of 3,610
The only weakness for the M6 for me now is the somewhat flaky wifi performance making streaming via Roon a frustrating experience. The Wi-Fi will drop usually half way through an album.

otherwise it’s a very good little player packed with features.

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #3,112 of 3,610

Thanks much for this. Explains a lot.

I use my M6 with my Huawei Nova 2i phone (model from a couple years ago). Not sure if it can output LDAC, will check the dev settings later. I wonder will it show aptx/aptx HD on the M6's 'sink' display if I choose it as the codec of choice (in case LDAC is not available on my phone)?

I can't remember completely but Spotify on the M6 was unique to me for 'discovering' my wireless WiFi Arcam Airdac which can output DLNA. This meant I could get higher quality WiFi as opposed to 'compressed Bluetooth to my HiFi amp. That's a different capability of Spotify. I also used Spotify Connect to change from listening one DAP to another as they we're linked by Spotify. Nowadays I have a larger iFi Zen Blue DAC which receives LDAC from my phone or the M6 and gives a great LDAC sound to my amp and speakers whilst I lazily sit on my settee drinking tea or wine.

Ah yes, ok. Great use of the Zen Blue. I have the Zen DAC...great little unit.

Feb 4, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #3,113 of 3,610
Hey all, I've got a problem with my Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones and my new M6. If I use LDAC in Sound Quality First mode, the audio skips so badly that it's unusable. I also get skipping/stuttering audio if I use LDAC-Standard. The only LDAC mode that does NOT stutter is Connection First. This is happening while streaming Tidal set to Master quality. Since LDAC support was the main reason I bought the M6, this is not good, and I'll be sending the device back if I can't get it resolved. I'll be using it to stream Tidal almost exclusively, so I haven't tried it with local music files yet, because even if I don't have the problem with local files it won't matter for my intended use.

I'm experiencing this problem both at home and at work - two different and very capable Wifi networks. I've updated the M6 to the latest firmware (1.02). I've updated the Tidal app to the latest available version. I still get terrible stuttering and skipping using LDAC in any mode other than Connection First.

Anyone else here having troubles like these?

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #3,114 of 3,610
Hey all, I've got a problem with my Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones and my new M6. If I use LDAC in Sound Quality First mode, the audio skips so badly that it's unusable. I also get skipping/stuttering audio if I use LDAC-Standard. The only LDAC mode that does NOT stutter is Connection First. This is happening while streaming Tidal set to Master quality. Since LDAC support was the main reason I bought the M6, this is not good, and I'll be sending the device back if I can't get it resolved. I'll be using it to stream Tidal almost exclusively, so I haven't tried it with local music files yet, because even if I don't have the problem with local files it won't matter for my intended use.

I'm experiencing this problem both at home and at work - two different and very capable Wifi networks. I've updated the M6 to the latest firmware (1.02). I've updated the Tidal app to the latest available version. I still get terrible stuttering and skipping using LDAC in any mode other than Connection First.

My experience is that the M6 struggles with the higher LDAC bitrates. Best adaptive works well. I do find it hard to hear the differences between best adaptive and 990 LDAC bitrates from my Samsung and LG phones to my HiFi. My M6 can't do 990 though.

Feb 5, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #3,115 of 3,610

Dear user,
The electromagnetic signal is too strong. The working channel of the Bluetooth signal is 2.4G, which is also the working channel of WiFi. Bluetooth and WiFi are so common on the cellphone right now. When in places like subway or shopping mall which are crowded, Bluetooth signals transmission will be severely affected by the 2.4G signals transmitted by a large number ofelectronic devices. In this case, please try to avoid using Bluetooth devices as possible. On the other hand, you can try to keep the transmitter and receiver as close as possible. For example, on the subway, you can hold your mobilephone in front of your chest.
Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 5, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #3,116 of 3,610
Dear user,
The electromagnetic signal is too strong. The working channel of the Bluetooth signal is 2.4G, which is also the working channel of WiFi. Bluetooth and WiFi are so common on the cellphone right now. When in places like subway or shopping mall which are crowded, Bluetooth signals transmission will be severely affected by the 2.4G signals transmitted by a large number ofelectronic devices. In this case, please try to avoid using Bluetooth devices as possible. On the other hand, you can try to keep the transmitter and receiver as close as possible. For example, on the subway, you can hold your mobilephone in front of your chest.
Best regards

Thanks for the info, but I'm not convinced that it's 2.4 GHz interference. There's something wrong here. I did some more testing, trying out your suggestions, and it made no difference at all. I still get MAJOR audio stuttering when trying to use any LDAC mode on the M6 other than Connection First. This is streaming Tidal FAR away from all Wifi sources, tethered to my iPhone's 5-bar LTE connection, holding the M6 AGAINST the headphone. Same issue as I described above. Defective M6? Defective WH-1000XM3? Poor LDAC implementation? I don't know, but if I'm unable to use full bandwidth LDAC on your device it's only partially functional IMO. I'm open to trying any other ideas you may have to try and resolve this.

Feb 11, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #3,117 of 3,610
Thanks for the info, but I'm not convinced that it's 2.4 GHz interference. There's something wrong here. I did some more testing, trying out your suggestions, and it made no difference at all. I still get MAJOR audio stuttering when trying to use any LDAC mode on the M6 other than Connection First. This is streaming Tidal FAR away from all Wifi sources, tethered to my iPhone's 5-bar LTE connection, holding the M6 AGAINST the headphone. Same issue as I described above. Defective M6? Defective WH-1000XM3? Poor LDAC implementation? I don't know, but if I'm unable to use full bandwidth LDAC on your device it's only partially functional IMO. I'm open to trying any other ideas you may have to try and resolve this.
Dear user,

The Wifi is off? Do you have another Bluetooth headphone for check?
Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 11, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #3,118 of 3,610
Dear user,

The Wifi is off? Do you have another Bluetooth headphone for check?
Best regards

Yes, the wifi was off, which in a real-world application isn't feasible. I did not have another pair of BT headphones that support LDAC to test with, so I returned the M6 to Amazon for a refund. Sorry.

Feb 11, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #3,119 of 3,610
I did use the M6 as a bluetooth receiver but mainly feeding a signal from my phone to the M6 and through the line out to my HiFi. I think I got an LDAC signal. I'm not sure of the sound quality of the BTR5, but because the M6 is not a whole lot bigger than the BTR5 it's certainly worth seeing how the M6 stacks up as a bluetooth receiver. I have the BTR3 (and the Radsone ES100) but I haven't really compared it's bluetooth and sound with the M6. The M9 had great sound but bluetooth is better on the M6 IMHO. I have used in the past an APTX receiver, an APTX-HD receiver, and now an LDAC receiver. I am very familiar with the differences in SQ. I am unable tell the difference between LDAC and wired. I could with the other codecs.
Have you compared SQ between the M6 and the BTR5 now? Wondering which of the two is best... Considering one of them, to use on the go. BTR5 would be used with my Galaxy S9 and the M6 standalone or as BT with my phone too. Tidal is the preferred player :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back