[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Jul 13, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #2,551 of 3,610
Fish - I think your problem might be the Win7 stack (drivers). 10 works fine. And earlier comment re Linux Mint might solve all your problems. I use Mint (Cinnamon). It just works - including with M7

Yeah I still have switching to Linux on my too do list just haven't had a chance to do it yet. I haven't had any connection issues with Win 7 and my previous DAP's. Having to switch operating systems to fix a problem with a DAP seems extreme. So time will tell if the next firmware helps at all and whether I switch to another DAP before I switch to Linux. I would guess the M2X being Linux based would also be a good option.

Jul 13, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #2,553 of 3,610
Well I finally received m6. So far I’m really satisfied. My expectation was to have wireless, powerful enough player also suitable for my hard to drive cans and it did. It works quite well except for some minimal flaws such as quite seldom and really slight delays in responding while listening spotify as well as considerably short battery life (maybe due to my using it in LO mode which probably requires max output). Please note that I use m6 in line out mode along with pocket amp ( topping nx5) and yes they mathched perfectly ( i.e. fiio LO output&amp gain level) and drove my 300 ohm senn 650, to me, so sufficiently in quality as well as power wise (compared to my cowon d2 mp3 player&topping nx5) that I have no further concern to have pleasure of listening to my cans outdoors. I was hoping to have a flawless spotify wireless stream (with all spotify features utilized, i. e. downloading etc.) and it did without any trouble. But I also look for a fiio update to have i.e. a better player app with remedied flaws critisized herein and maybe some handy apps for video streaming, audio books etc. To sum, my 2 cents regarding m6 is that if you have a high-end and/or balanced can and/or amp, get a m9 or m11, if not, get this for the time being, it will satisfy you regardless of the input of your cans (if not extreme). I believe that major software flaws of m6 will be remedied (not to be disregarded in other words) soon, so I personally advice not to take it as a sole decision-making factor.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #2,554 of 3,610
Just doing my duty :D
FW update?
@FiiO

Jul 15, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #2,557 of 3,610
Well I'm tired of waiting for and update that may or my not fix some issues.
I’m starting to feel the same way. I got my M6 as soon as it was available, and hoped the niggles would be resolved with software updates, and I’ve been a bit disappointed in Fiio regarding this. I’m not sure the excellent sound quality is worth the hassle...

Jul 15, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #2,558 of 3,610
Yeah I still have switching to Linux on my too do list just haven't had a chance to do it yet. I haven't had any connection issues with Win 7 and my previous DAP's. Having to switch operating systems to fix a problem with a DAP seems extreme. So time will tell if the next firmware helps at all and whether I switch to another DAP before I switch to Linux. I would guess the M2X being Linux based would also be a good option.
No need to make the switch permanently. Just make a Linux USB boot drive and give it a spin. It won't affect your current Windows installation at all, nor will it delete or modify any of your existing files.

Jul 15, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #2,559 of 3,610
I'm hoping that it would be worth the wait and the delays regarding that upcoming firmware update, or else I might have to sell my M6, as I've been thinking of selling mine as of late, too (haven't used it much lately, as I preferred using my Topping NX4 DSD + a smartphone; yeah it's a bulky setup, but at least you got to use your own apps without having to rely on a whitelist/app spoofing).

Jul 15, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #2,560 of 3,610
I believe there are a few things to consider with the M6. First, yeah, the hardware is "sort of" limited - seeing what a Raspberry Pi can do these days with little hardware, not so sure.. but yeah Android can be more demanding. And specially the apps we want to run. Developers are at stake here, they started building more complex apps (Spotify vs Tidal to name one) and that's an issue. Still, I feel a lot of the issues people care for are related to the Music App itself, the very core of the player. I think the point is, people want more regular firmware updates; the software engineering is running behind. I would have released a transitional firmware update with the new Music App and maybe some safe and critical OS fixes.

I think also, the whitelisting is delaying the firmware update. See, having an Android device means apps, and most people wants a lots of apps, at least to try (in the end you let them go). So, I keep saying that my recommendation to FiiO is to allow a mode in the device to let you deploy any app. At your own risk.

Jul 15, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #2,561 of 3,610
I agree, white listing apps should not be a priority. Important is the core of the device the FiiO music app and bug fixes.

Jul 15, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #2,562 of 3,610
That's all I'm concerned about at the moment. Just fix the existing bugs and update to the current, much improved, Fiio Music app and I'm a happy camper.

I've actually been using the latest Fiio Music app as the default player on my phone and am very happy with it. Would love to use it on my M7....eventually.

Jul 15, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #2,563 of 3,610
That's all I'm concerned about at the moment. Just fix the existing bugs and update to the current, much improved, Fiio Music app and I'm a happy camper.

I've actually been using the latest Fiio Music app as the default player on my phone and am very happy with it. Would love to use it on my M7....eventually.

I've been using the new fiio app on the m11 and it's really nice, would be great to use it on m6.

Jul 15, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #2,564 of 3,610
Can the M6 be used as BT transmitter while connected as USB DAC? Does it support Aptx HD and LDAC in transmission mode?
Dear friend,

Yes. But it may be delay when using Bluetooth output and USB DAC function at the same time.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 15, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #2,565 of 3,610
Dear friend,

Yes. But it may be delay when using Bluetooth output and USB DAC function at the same time.

Best regards
Can we have some tentative timeline for the fw update please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back