[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Jul 1, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #2,476 of 3,610
Dear friends,
Sorry for the delay. The engineer are trying their best in working the new firmware. And they have tried to add some third party apps such as Audible in the white lists. We will try to release it soon.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 1, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #2,477 of 3,610
Dear friends,
Sorry for the delay. The engineer are trying their best in working the new firmware. And they have tried to add some third party apps such as Audible in the white lists. We will try to release it soon.

Best regards

Thanks for the update, since the M7 firmware update should be a simpler update without the need for 3rd party app support any chance it might be released before an M6 update? In all fairness the M7 has been on the market quite a bit longer and should be updated by now.

Jul 1, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #2,478 of 3,610
Hi, could someone please tell me if you can use the buttons on the side to navigate through artist and album lists? I wanted to upgrade from my Shanling M1 but I wear gloves a lot when I'm outdoors so navigating solely through touchscreen might be an issue.

Jul 2, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #2,480 of 3,610
Hi STeve!

Got some insight from FiiO on the newly whitelisted apps in the new firmware - in another thread:
"Hi,many new apps will be added to whitelists,such as DS audio, MediaMonkey, Poweramp, Online Radio Box, KMPlayer and so on."
Just when I thought of selling my M6 (I prefer to listen on my Xiaomi Mi A1 + Topping NX4 DSD stack lately, and thus my M6 isn't used that much as of late), and then I read your post. I guess I'll keep my M6, then. :p Hopefully they fix the current version of FiiO Music Player app first (as in the one currently available on Google Play Store), as the current version had the gapless playback broke and also for some odd reason, song information doesn't have scrolling animation anymore, and put that fixed version in the upcoming firmware update.

Also, here's the post @greenflash had been referring to: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-all-in-one-thread-to-address-any-inquiries-to-fiio-product-lineup-丨future-plans丨product-functions-and-features.903431/page-11#post-15028865

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #2,481 of 3,610
Just when I thought of selling my M6, and then I read your post. I guess I'll keep my M6, then. :p Hopefully they fix the current version of FiiO Music Player app first (as in the one currently available on Google Play Store), as the current version had the gapless playback broke and also for some odd reason, song information doesn't have scrolling animation anymore, and put that fixed version in the upcoming firmware update.

Also, here's the post @greenflash had been referring to: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-all-in-one-thread-to-address-any-inquiries-to-fiio-product-lineup-丨future-plans丨product-functions-and-features.903431/page-11#post-15028865
What about pulsar ? I really like this player which is already working.

Jul 2, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #2,482 of 3,610
What about pulsar ? I really like this player which is already working.
Well. hopefully @FiiO considered putting Pulsar in the whitelist in their upcoming firmware update, as most people (including me) have tested Pulsar via greenflash's modded APK file on the M6, and it's great so far. Would still like to see the likes of HibyMusic, even though its chances are pretty slim; at least they mentioned PowerAmp in the next update, in which I also consider good. I hope that we could use the paid version of PowerAmp, though.

Jul 2, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #2,483 of 3,610
Well. hopefully @FiiO considered putting Pulsar in the whitelist in their upcoming firmware update, as most people (including me) have tested Pulsar via greenflash's modded APK file on the M6, and it's great so far. Would still like to see the likes of HibyMusic, even though its chances are pretty slim; at least they mentioned PowerAmp in the next update, in which I also consider good. I hope that we could use the paid version of PowerAmp, though.
Yeah Pulsar seems to work very good really. That should be a no brainer. Paid versions seems to be a no go for the lack of Google Play Services unfortunately. I think with all the problems lately with that (Huawei for example) developers should really consider alternative ways of activating their software.

Jul 2, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #2,484 of 3,610
Hello, is there any chance of implementing a YouTube? It would be good for some meetings and each one put the music he wants, I know it is Spotify but it does not have all the songs in the world.
I think the best choices there are YouTube Vanced and its companion app or even better prolly, NewPipe. It's really thin and doesn't need your gmail account (saves favorites and such in your device)

Jul 3, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #2,486 of 3,610
I might have discovered something awesome here. I've been able to install apps with their own icon on the dashboard, without having to change the AndroidManifest.xml package name.
You still need to decode and repack the APK, but I've even found some that install without doing any prep work!

If you wanna try it out, here's the general battleplan. Please note, I don't take any responsibility if your player breaks!
I'm running Arch Linux, but I'm sure the tools necessary also work on Mac and Windows, but you'll have to do that homework yourself.
Might go without saying, but all of this is taking place in the terminal/commandline.

Tools you need:
apktool
jarsigner
keytool
adb

Google is your friend :)

First off, enable USB Debugging on your M6. Go to Settings > General > About Device, then tap Build Number until it says "You are now a developer!". Go back to Settings, hit Developer Options and enable USB Debugging.

Now, grab apktool by following these instructions: https://ibotpeaches.github.io/Apktool/install/
Then, put your apk in a folder. For this guide, I'll use "playerpro.apk" for the apk, "app" for the folder. Substitute with whatever you're hacking with.
Go into "/app", and run this command to install the framework:
"apktool if playerpro.apk"
Then decode the apk:
"apktool d playerpro.apk"
The decoded files will appear in "app/[apkname]", so in my case that'd be "app/playerpro"

This is where you'd usually edit "playerpro/AndroidManifest.xml", replacing the package name with a whitelisted app. No more!
Immediately after decoding, build it again:
"apktool b playerpro"
After a little while, it should spit out a bunch of text, ending with "I: Built apk..." - if not, your APK will most likely not work.
Copy or move the apk you just rebuilt from "app/playerpro/dist/playerpro.apk" into "app/playerpro2.apk" (the residing folder of the apk and decoded folder).

Here's where the magic happens. Run "keytool" to generate a keystore to sign the APK you just built.
"keytool -genkey -v -keystore fiio.keystore -alias fiio -keyalg RSA -keysize 2048 -validity 10000"
It'll prompt you for a password. You can enter anything, just be sure to remember it. It'll also ask you a bunch of things like Company Name and Country, just hit enter through it all for the default value of "Unknown". Note that, at the end, you're required to type out "yes".
Once you've got your keystore generated, you need to actually sign the apk with "jarsigner".
"jarsigner -verbose -sigalg SHA1withRSA -digestalg SHA1 -keystore fiio.keystore playerpro2.apk fiio"

When that's done, you just need one, final command to install it. Plug in your M6 with USB and run "adb install playerpro.apk". You need to be in the "app" folder for this, btw.

I don't actually know why this works, but either it's installing through ADB (unlikely, as it has failed before), the act itself of signing the apk again (why doesn't the original apk work?) or simply by naming the keystore alias "fiio".
In either case, this has been working for PlayerPro and Pulsar+. PlayerPro's DSP pack installs directly with "adb install" without any signing or decoding!

Give it a shot! Worst case scenario, it doesn't install. If you got any questions or errors, send me a PM.

Jul 3, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #2,487 of 3,610
I might have discovered something awesome here. I've been able to install apps with their own icon on the dashboard, without having to change the AndroidManifest.xml package name.
You still need to decode and repack the APK, but I've even found some that install without doing any prep work!

If you wanna try it out, here's the general battleplan. Please note, I don't take any responsibility if your player breaks!
I'm running Arch Linux, but I'm sure the tools necessary also work on Mac and Windows, but you'll have to do that homework yourself.
Might go without saying, but all of this is taking place in the terminal/commandline.

Tools you need:
apktool
jarsigner
keytool
adb

First off, enable USB Debugging on your M6. Go to Settings > General > About Device, then tap Build Number until it says "You are now a developer!". Go back to Settings, hit Developer Options and enable USB Debugging.

Now, grab apktool by following these instructions: https://ibotpeaches.github.io/Apktool/install/
Then, put your apk in a folder. For this guide, I'll use "playerpro.apk" for the apk, "app" for the folder. Substitute with whatever you're hacking with.
Then decode the apk:
The decoded files will appear in "app/[apkname]", so in my case that'd be "app/playerpro"

This is where you'd usually edit "playerpro/AndroidManifest.xml", replacing the package name with a whitelisted app. No more!
"apktool b playerpro"
After a little while, it should spit out a bunch of text, ending with "I: Built apk..." - if not, your APK will most likely not work.
Copy or move the apk you just rebuilt from "app/playerpro/dist/playerpro.apk" into "app/playerpro2.apk" (the residing folder of the apk and decoded folder).

Here's where the magic happens. Run "keytool" to generate a keystore to sign the APK you just built.
"keytool -genkey -v -keystore fiio.keystore -alias fiio -keyalg RSA -keysize 2048 -validity 10000"
It'll prompt you for a password. You can enter anything, just be sure to remember it. It'll also ask you a bunch of things like Company Name and Country, just hit enter through it all for the default value of "Unknown". Note that, at the end, you're required to type out "yes".
Once you've got your keystore generated, you need to actually sign the apk with "jarsigner".
"jarsigner -verbose -sigalg SHA1withRSA -digestalg SHA1 -keystore fiio.keystore playerpro2.apk fiio"

When that's done, you just need one, final command to install it. Plug in your M6 with USB and run "adb install playerpro.apk". You need to be in the "app" folder for this, btw.

I don't actually know why this works, but either it's installing through ADB (unlikely, as it has failed before), the act itself of signing the apk again (why doesn't the original apk work?) or simply by naming the keystore alias "fiio".
In either case, this has been working for PlayerPro and Pulsar+. PlayerPro's DSP pack installs directly with "adb install" without any signing or decoding!

Give it a shot! Worst case scenario, it doesn't install. If you got any questions or errors, send me a PM.

Wow. Respect. You young ones are so sharp. Old geezers like me rely on young bucks like you. Well done.

Jul 3, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #2,488 of 3,610

Tools you need:
apktool
jarsigner
keytool
adb

Then decode the apk:

"apktool b playerpro"

Awesome work!

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #2,489 of 3,610
-b?

Jul 3, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #2,490 of 3,610

Nope it's b. I deleted that bit, though, as that was not the magic, it seems to be about the ADB connection. This solution by junkdeck is quite more advanced than mine :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back