[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Feb 28, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #1,531 of 3,610
hmm if not needing wifi, bluetooth or music apps I don't know why anyone would even bother looking at the M6...

mine hasn't arrived yet. I'm in Winnipeg and it shipped last week. Canada Post tracking says they have the package so I assume all the bad weather out East has messed things up and it's delayed. hopefully today...

Feb 28, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #1,532 of 3,610
hmm if not needing wifi, bluetooth or music apps I don't know why anyone would even bother looking at the M6...

mine hasn't arrived yet. I'm in Winnipeg and it shipped last week. Canada Post tracking says they have the package so I assume all the bad weather out East has messed things up and it's delayed. hopefully today...

I don't care for that either. :wink:
I think what he ment by "music apps" is spotify, tidal etc. - I only wanted a tiny player with sd card support and andeoid on it. With android you don't have any limitations with library tagging like my beloved AK Jr has. Now the only thing I need is a better music app on the dap :p

Feb 28, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #1,533 of 3,610
I don't care for that either. :wink:
I think what he ment by "music apps" is spotify, tidal etc. - I only wanted a tiny player with sd card support and andeoid on it. With android you don't have any limitations with library tagging like my beloved AK Jr has. Now the only thing I need is a better music app on the dap :p

Yes I assumed he was referring to spotify and the like. It just seems to me that those features are pretty much what sells the M6 at it's price point. I assume there must be options available for even less money that would suffice if those features are of no interest...although I guess android might be the tricky thing.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #1,534 of 3,610
Yes I assumed he was referring to spotify and the like. It just seems to me that those features are pretty much what sells the M6 at it's price point. I assume there must be options available for even less money that would suffice if those features are of no interest...although I guess android might be the tricky thing.

Like me he could try the M3K which sounds pretty much the same and just plays your music from a mini sd card.

Feb 28, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #1,535 of 3,610
Yes I assumed he was referring to spotify and the like. It just seems to me that those features are pretty much what sells the M6 at it's price point. I assume there must be options available for even less money that would suffice if those features are of no interest...

I thought so too, but no, there isn't. I searched really all around the internet for an answer, but even though the player itself is great, in the end it has some kind of limitation. My library has really alot of music and I'm used to the iPod (Classic) generation... where you can just have a ton of music with you without even thinking of running out.

The M6 has almost everything I wanted - small (!), touch screen, an easy interface, the possibility of customisation from the community, and no limitations when scanning for music. And that for a few bucks. I wish I could use my old iPod like today, but even after modding it, and having 500GB in it, the lack of USB (C) is making me crazy. And all of a sudden FiiO introduced the M6 and since it was so new, the only (!) answer I needed was giving in this thread here - if it has a 10.000+ song limit and it hasn't. :wink:

I also would've sticked with the AK Jr, but since it has no big fanbase or open OS, no one really cared for a hack / mod to change the song limitation. When I'm listening to music on the DAP, I'm always on the move. No wifi around and at home I can listen to my sound system. :wink:

Feb 28, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #1,536 of 3,610
I thought so too, but no, there isn't. I searched really all around the internet for an answer, but even though the player itself is great, in the end it has some kind of limitation. My library has really alot of music and I'm used to the iPod (Classic) generation... where you can just have a ton of music with you without even thinking of running out.

The M6 has almost everything I wanted - small (!), touch screen, an easy interface, the possibility of customisation from the community, and no limitations when scanning for music. And that for a few bucks. I wish I could use my old iPod like today, but even after modding it, and having 500GB in it, the lack of USB (C) is making me crazy. And all of a sudden FiiO introduced the M6 and since it was so new, the only (!) answer I needed was giving in this thread here - if it has a 10.000+ song limit and it hasn't. :wink:

I also would've sticked with the AK Jr, but since it has no big fanbase or open OS, no one really cared for a hack / mod to change the song limitation. When I'm listening to music on the DAP, I'm always on the move. No wifi around and at home I can listen to my sound system. :wink:

Interesting. For myself, I use Spotify but I download most of my music for offline use. However, I like having the wifi access so I can browse if I want to. I have all sorts of options at home for accessing the service - laptop, ipad, Iphone...even my PS3 really. But I find the Iphone is the most convenient so even at home that's what I often use. But it's still a pain at times...when i'm texting with someone or a call comes in. Plus my phone's battery isn't great anymore and I have to charge it too often. Oh, and then there's the fact that I need the dongle to connect buds directly to the thing...although I use a BTR1k for the bluetooth. So the M6 seems like a great option. I'm not worried about the lossless/lossy issue. If there is a note-able difference between high bitrate lossy and lossless my ears aren't good enough to hear it! lol...

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #1,537 of 3,610
That really sucks.Mine arrived last week and it was used(no plastic on box, fingerprints all over it,Fiio label box upside down). I got to use it for a bit before I sent it back for not being new.I was put off by start up time and fact that I don't need Wifi,Blutooth or music apps. Just wanted a basic player so got the M3K instead. I must admit the M6 is a fantastic looking DAP with a great screen.

Yes I looked at the M3K for about a minute but LDAC bluetooth is a must for me as I have two Sony bluetooth speakers. I was looking at the M7 actually because I don't need wifi but that thread has died quickly and alot of post about software issues and the price in Canada is $50 higher than the M6 so it just doesn't make sense. For now my M0 is my best option, until Fiio shipments show up at amazon.ca

Feb 28, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #1,539 of 3,610
Interesting. For myself, I use Spotify but I download most of my music for offline use. However, I like having the wifi access so I can browse if I want to. I have all sorts of options at home for accessing the service - laptop, ipad, Iphone...even my PS3 really. But I find the Iphone is the most convenient so even at home that's what I often use. But it's still a pain at times...when i'm texting with someone or a call comes in. Plus my phone's battery isn't great anymore and I have to charge it too often. So the M6 seems like a great option. I'm not worried about the lossless/lossy issue. If there is a note-able difference between high bitrate lossy and lossless my ears aren't good enough to hear it! lol...

I'm still one of those guys who buys CDs. :wink:
I do rip them lossless into iTunes after I get them, but still... having a physical version of the stuff is (for me!) a big deal. Spotify and Tidal etc turns me pretty much off. And when I like to listen into an album just to test it before buying, spotify hasn't the album I want. I always have to go back to youtube for that. :/

The M6 is strange. I activated the developer mode and was able to go into the fastboot area, but not anymore. Hmpf. Since I'm only used to root phones, I don't even know if the thing has a bootloader that needs to be unlocked or not. You can root the FiiO X7 with Kingroot, but I didn't find any answer on the bootloader unlock topic. I'm not used to any all-in-one solution stuff, I always root my hardware over the terminal on my mac. And for that I need to unlock the bootloader first - does kindroot already does that? Not that it's working for the M6, I'm just a bit curious.

I think once the device is rooted, people can see the full potential of the hardware. I bet it can alot more than FiiO sells it for. :wink:

Besides... something that bugs me - the ES File Explorer APK is whitelisted. However the Premium Edition is not. Since I bought the app 7 years ago and the basic version of the ES File Explorer turned into a data miner bloatware monster, I used the premium version that's free of that stuff. But even that I'm unable to install!

I would like Solid Explorer on it thought. It's superior in every way and has no bloatware on it.

Feb 28, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #1,540 of 3,610
wow you must be into some pretty obscure stuff. I like a lot of fairly obscure music myself and there hasn't been much I couldn't find on Spotify...

I haven't bought a CD in more than a decade! I'm at the point now where I can't stand the clutter...I have a few boxes of CDs and DVDs still kicking around and they are just collecting dust really.

Feb 28, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #1,541 of 3,610
wow you must be into some pretty obscure stuff. I like a lot of fairly obscure music myself and there hasn't been much I couldn't find on Spotify...

I haven't bought a CD in more than a decade! I'm at the point now where I can't stand the clutter...I have a few boxes of CDs and DVDs still kicking around and they are just collecting dust really.

Not only. The latest Björk Album wasn't on there, or at least not possible to play. It was just a placeholder.

"Garbage - Not your kind of people" shows up in the search results, but with the wrong songs. It's just a playlist of old stuff Garbage did.

"Hiromasa Suzuki - High-Flying" isn't on there either. I don't know if it has something to do because I'm in germany or if spotify in general doesn't have those albums. :/

And the list goes on forever. Youtube has all of that.

I love CDs. :) I hate the thought that Vinyl is now the new CD and everyone gets back to it. But I'm not starting that topic now. I just hope that the next big hipster wave sees how nostalgic the CDs were and it gets a short comeback. :p

Besides it's nice when people come over and look at my CD collection and are like "whoa you're listening to that? Cool, me too, never thought I meet someone else who..." (and no, I don't let others on my computer. :p)

Feb 28, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #1,543 of 3,610
I never have people over. lol...

getting a little off topic here. Hopefully my damn M6 shows up today! :)

lol - well sometimes it's nice to have people over who like the same stuff as you do. :wink:

I bought mine over a seller in Italy. It was the only way to get it, since the M6 was everywhere sold out or not being listed (looking at you, Amazon)
But it arrived two days later without a scratch or anything. First thing I did was change the Wallpaper - you don't see it much in the video reviews, but the wallpaper isn't entirely black. It looks like the screen is broken lol, so I made a quick black wallpaper in the right size to just see black in the background.

Oh and after talking so much about root and the M6, I just emailed FiiO and asked them. Maybe they answer there how root works with the M6. And why is the kernel of the M6 called "dirty"? :p

Feb 28, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #1,544 of 3,610
I’d love this little thing rooted, I wish I knew how and the availability was better (in case I bricked it) :wink:. First thing I would load is Hiby music- no offense Fiio :wink:

Feb 28, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #1,545 of 3,610
I’d love this little thing rooted, I wish I knew how and the availability was better (in case I bricked it) :wink:. First thing I would load is Hiby music- no offense Fiio :wink:

Well, depending on the manufacturer you could get an unlock key for the bootloader. After that, the device is "unsecure" and able to get any kinds of apps. Since it's no phone, and there is no bootloader mentioned in the about section of the device, I'm not sure if it even has one.
I got into the fastboot process but wasn't able to use ADB oem unlock to unlock it. So there is at least some kind of protection going on.

Not as easy as my OnePlus phones. :/
There you just click on "unlock bootloader", reboot, type in "adb oem unlock", then "adb fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" and after that, all you need is to install Magisk or some other root app. It's a mystery to me how root stuff works outside the phone world lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back