[FiiO M5] Compact and Versatile Hi-Res Music Player
Nov 11, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #571 of 773
I've got it work just now with the FiiO X5II as DAC.
Had to set SPDIF to D2P instead of DoP and the volume at maximum on both devices to hear something acceptable - volume is very low.
Still not working with Sabaj Da 2 - this one makes some noise like a buzz but that's all. DoP or D2P same thing.

Also I had to reset M5 after all these tests. It was unable to play more than a song from any folder on the card. When passing to the second... it just freeze.
After reset works normally again. Don't know what happened.

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #575 of 773
I got mine few days ago.
I've checked very easy the version - I think it was less than 10 clicks, but very fast ones. I had some problems with the 2 clicks to power on the display and until I clicked twice very fast it didn't work too. I've activated later the 2 Taps on the screen in settings to avoid this ( should be enabled by default )

Now, my impressions about this are mixed. Very good sound for the price, but very bad firmware ( as usual ). And I put the latest. This is my 3-rd player from FiiO and all of them had firmware problems. Some solved later, some... never.

Even the FAQ on their site is confusing.
For example - https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/262120.html - it says "Swipe from left to right ", even twice, but if you want to get the Lyrics screen you have to swipe from Right to Left. The OTHER Left FiiO !!
And.. surprise - if the song has no lyrics included, even if you have selected English language you get... something in Chinese.

There are problems with cue files. If in a folder with flac songs there is also a cue file, the first "real" song "01" doesn't appear in the list, but it appears when I scroll - taken from the cue file. But it will not play - none of the songs displayed from the cue files won't play.
Worst, if you have a full album flac - some big 4-500 Mb file and a cue file for it with the song, it will read the songs and display them, you can play from the first file, but if you want to skip to next song, or from start you choose another song than the first the M5 just stop working - need to press 10+ seconds on the power to close it. So I have to avoid any cue file or albums based on it.
Also I have to rename the songs of an album with their order number first so they can play in the right order. Even if the player gets some info from the file it seems it doesn't get the right song order.

Funny things too - FiiO Music seems to not see this on BT. Also on a windows tablet I had to install the USB drivers in order to get AptX - with the default drivers put by Windows it worked only in SBC.

And something I didn't succeed until now, even some reviews says it's possible - to connect an other USB DAC to it, on the USB port and play through it. Tried with a Sabaj Da2 and a FiiO X5II.
Dear friend,

Thanks for your kind feedback. Yes, that FAQ is incorrect, we will fix it soon.
As for the problem with cue, we will report to the engineer for checking first.
Does the music of your album include the track number?
The M5 is not supported in FiiO Music app-Fiio Bluetooth control.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 14, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #576 of 773
Dear friend,

Thanks for your kind feedback. Yes, that FAQ is incorrect, we will fix it soon.
As for the problem with cue, we will report to the engineer for checking first.

Best regards
I have a small feature request. It would be very nice, if an option to boot into bluetooth receiver mode exists.

Nov 14, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #577 of 773
Dear friend,

Best regards

1. Yes, all of them. And I had to put the track number in front of each song so they play in order.
Same songs - without the track number in front - plays fine and in the right order on my older X5II.
2. I know. You should add support for it.

Also please fix the Chinese characters in the Lyrics screen when using English Language and no lyrics are present.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #578 of 773
Anyone else have a low sound quality coming out from the bluetooth transmitter in M5?
I've tried connecting it to my 1more true wireless which is aptx and trn bt20 which is sbc. and the quality is like a low bitrate sound.
The bt receiver on the M5 itself works fine. From my phone to the m5. Aptx, ldac, sbc, all have good quality.

1.3.2 firmware and 1.1.1 bluetooth firmware.

Nov 14, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #579 of 773
Anyone else have a low sound quality coming out from the bluetooth transmitter in M5?
I've tried connecting it to my 1more true wireless which is aptx and trn bt20 which is sbc. and the quality is like a low bitrate sound.
The bt receiver on the M5 itself works fine. From my phone to the m5. Aptx, ldac, sbc, all have good quality.

1.3.2 firmware and 1.1.1 bluetooth firmware.

I have this issue also. Very bad quality on BT transmitter.

Nov 15, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #580 of 773
Don't know if this subject has been mentioned in a previous post but how do you connect the m5 to the computer via usb to drag and drop files, installed the Samsung driver but it still just wants to charge and not come up as removable device, help appreciated as i have it in the screw down watch case as it's a pain having to take out the player to access the micro SD card.

Nov 15, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #581 of 773
Here's my video review of the M5 if anyone is interested.

Nov 17, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #582 of 773
Don't know if this subject has been mentioned in a previous post but how do you connect the m5 to the computer via usb to drag and drop files, installed the Samsung driver but it still just wants to charge and not come up as removable device, help appreciated as i have it in the screw down watch case as it's a pain having to take out the player to access the micro SD card.
What Samsung Driver ?!?

If you want to use M5 as external storage just go in settings to the USB port and check "Storage" instead of "DAC". Then connect to your PC.
No driver needed for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back