[FiiO M5] Compact and Versatile Hi-Res Music Player
Aug 7, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #331 of 773
My M5 arrived from Amazon US this afternoon. I've been playing with it at work this afternoon. So far kind of disappointing. I will not be able to update the firmware of the player until I get home so maybe it will improve but the overall lag with the M5 is pretty bad. I'm not just talking scrolling through music, it is with all the settings too. Way too long between touching something and waiting for the screen to change or the setting to be changed. I am using the M5 with a 128gb sandisk memory card that has about 12,000 mp3's encoded at a variable 256 bit rate. It's basically my whole music collection. The sound is a little brighter than what I am used to from Fiio actually and it's pretty good. As a BT receiver it worked fine with my Android Oneplus 6t phone. It connected using LDAC and sounded good. I will play with it more when I get home tonight after I update to the new firmware. Just wanted to give a brief first impression.

I'm honestly not that surprised. It's a $100-ish unit, and even expensive $500 Android-based DAP's tend to be slow and clunky more often than not. Personally I want it most for the bluetooth receiver/transmitter stuff. Anything else I'd consider a bonus.

Aug 7, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #332 of 773
BUYER BEWARE: I ordered the M5 from BrightAudio Store yesterday. Once I placed the order I sent messages to the store to ask if I could pay for expedited shipping, and would I receive the watchband that FIIO said could be included.

The Aliexpress system indicates they read my messages, but they did not answer the messages, and shipped the order non express. I will not deal with this seller BrightAudio again on AliExpress....

FWIW ... And why am I not surprised... but my order arrived today, and of course, no FIIO M5 Watchband included. My guess is that you must order from the FIIO Store on AliExpess to get the watchband. I did not know FIIO had a store on AlixExpress. I do know BrightAudio will never see another nickel of my money ever again.

Aug 7, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #333 of 773
One thing that would be interesting beyond Ibasso DC02/DC01, is if Audeze cypher cable with Anker usbc adapter works with the M5. I read the cypher cable holds onto the eq settings set in the ios platform. So the M5 can potentially support 10 band eq of the cypher cable and do balance on the cypher 2 cable. The 2 pin is 0.78 so Fiio iems are supported by the cypher cable. If this works that is.

With a 0.78 to mmcx adapter. I sound like the professor I had, who can make no mistake.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #335 of 773
Curious if anyone has used these as a makeshift gym situatuon like the Shure version. I would think you couod clip thisbto your collar with the fiio short cable and have a similar experience but your wired instead of BT. Thoughts? Any recs on shoet cables othet than the $12 fiio one?

Aug 8, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #338 of 773
One thing that would be interesting beyond Ibasso DC02/DC01, is if Audeze cypher cable with Anker usbc adapter works with the M5. I read the cypher cable holds onto the eq settings set in the ios platform. So the M5 can potentially support 10 band eq of the cypher cable and do balance on the cypher 2 cable. The 2 pin is 0.78 so Fiio iems are supported by the cypher cable. If this works that is.

With a 0.78 to mmcx adapter. I sound like the professor I had, who can make no mistake.

Currently USB dongles do not work (at least for me), i have tried to get the player to recognize the anker adapter with the cypher cable and google's usb-c adapter, so far the player just does nothing. I know that recently the Shanling M0 just got support for dongle/adapters so maybe in a future update it will happen.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #339 of 773
My M5 arrived from Amazon US this afternoon. I've been playing with it at work this afternoon. So far kind of disappointing. I will not be able to update the firmware of the player until I get home so maybe it will improve but the overall lag with the M5 is pretty bad. I'm not just talking scrolling through music, it is with all the settings too. Way too long between touching something and waiting for the screen to change or the setting to be changed

This player has a GREAT potential for speeding up the GUI (I can optimize graphics, fonts, binaries, remove unnecessary ones, etc.), but it is very limited of custom firmware support, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #340 of 773
Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #341 of 773
Why no sound out of.coax.while.streaming with bt?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1565351942425.jpg
    FB_IMG_1565351942425.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 0
Aug 10, 2019 at 3:12 AM Post #342 of 773
I think my biggest grip with the player so far is there is NO, and I mean ZERO way to navigate a large media library fast. There needs to be a A-Z indicator on the right side for scrolling or ever a scroll bar that one can grab and quick scroll with. Another major annoyance with the software is the swipe left from the now playing screen, it takes you back to the beginning of all the songs NOT where you last were: so if you scroll super far and pick a song it goes right back to the start..... UGH. Again no fast way to navigate.

The now playing screen needs to have the scroll bar with the navigation buttons and the shuffle, add to fav, and add to play list needs to be on the other screen. I do not want to keep swiping between screens to scroll in a song or in a audio book. I like the tap to hid controls and swipe for next and previous songs, however, it needs to be a setting or feature that can be turned on or off with a time-out for hiding the controls or always show.

So far all of my complaints are software and so far I can say the M5 sounds better (a little) than the M0 but, the M0 has a custom EQ which almost makes up for the sound gap (for me at least) and the M0 can navigate much faster. Software wish lists from users on head-fi for the M0 have already been almost filled. But, however good the M5 sounds makes the toss up between sending it back and getting something else, or if we have to wait who knows how many months down the road to get the features that should have been released with the player in the first place. I'm patient but not that patient. like the M0 it took almost a year to get the custom EQ that was promised almost at launch idk.... Just rambling now and being mad.....*sigh*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back