[FiiO M3K] Probably the Most Cost-Effective Hi-Res Music Player, Discrete HiFi DAC Chip, Supports up to 384K/32B
Jun 6, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #391 of 636
Thank you for your comment, what I want is that you really hear better than a smartphone. I read some reviews that do not believe that the m3k, shanling m0 or even the m6 is better than your phone, I also do not know if they had one with dedicated DAC but I really want a notable difference in sound, I do not want to hear a little better, I want let the difference be noticed.

Also depends on what phone you own. I don't own an lg with a dedicated DAC. So that's important to keep in mind.

Jun 6, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #393 of 636
Also depends on what phone you own. I don't own an lg with a dedicated DAC. So that's important to keep in mind.

I would recommend you find out what is the highest bitrate that your phone supports. Install a player like Poweramp from the play store. Go to audio settings and check the experimental features setting under the audio output options. From there select the highest bitrate supported in the hi-res output section. If your device supports hi-res upto 384 khz then you will be well and good with what you have. But if it is under 192 khz.
Buying the m3k is a definite upgrade. I own a realme 2 pro for your acknowledgement and it supports only upto 48khz

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #394 of 636
I would recommend you find out what is the highest bitrate that your phone supports. Install a player like Poweramp from the play store. Go to audio settings and check the experimental features setting under the audio output options. From there select the highest bitrate supported in the hi-res output section. If your device supports hi-res upto 384 khz then you will be well and good with what you have. But if it is under 192 khz.
Buying the m3k is a definite upgrade. I own a realme 2 pro for your acknowledgement and it supports only upto 48khz
Hello, by default I leave the option of 192khz (experimental), but I can change it to 384khz.

Jun 6, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #395 of 636
Then in terms of quality of audio output it won't be much of an upgrade. But overall spatial representation of instruments etc. It might be better. Still can't tell for sure because I don't own the note 7.

If I were you, I would get it mostly for the battery. And as a replacement device for when I want to stay away from any radio signals near my body.

Also you will want to change the output to 384khz on your phone

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #396 of 636
Then in terms of quality of audio output it won't be much of an upgrade. But overall spatial representation of instruments etc. It might be better. Still can't tell for sure because I don't own the note 7.

If I were you, I would get it mostly for the battery. And as a replacement device for when I want to stay away from any radio signals near my body.

Also you will want to change the output to 384khz on your phone
So it is not worth this m3k if my phone reproduces 192hz, a Fiio M9 would be a better upgrade or what other options do I have?

Jun 6, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #397 of 636
So it is not worth this m3k if my phone reproduces 192hz, a Fiio M9 would be a better upgrade or what other options do I have?

If you are willing to go that high on your budget. No doubt the m9 will be better.

With great price (usually) comes great quality.

Your buying decision should be based on what is important to you.

Sound, battery, features etc. If it's purely sound you are looking for a dedicated DAC will definitely be better than your note 7 DAC. Another good way to check if the DAC being used on your phone is the same model, older or newer than the one in the player. And what's changed in terms of noise floor, output power and tonality between them.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #399 of 636
Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #400 of 636

Also this.

Jun 6, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #401 of 636
I would choose between ap80 and m6. Ap80. Well within your budget

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #402 of 636
I would choose between ap80 and m6. Ap80.
I had seen the comparison of the fiio m6 against the Hidizs AP80, if I remember correctly I liked the m6 but I read many comments that the system is slow. And about the AP80 Hidizs there is something I do not understand, it has the same dac as the shanling m0 but with a metal body and worth 40 or 50 more, is it really worth it?

Jun 6, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #403 of 636
I had seen the comparison of the fiio m6 against the Hidizs AP80, if I remember correctly I liked the m6 but I read many comments that the system is slow. And about the AP80 Hidizs there is something I do not understand, it has the same dac as the shanling m0 but with a metal body and worth 40 or 50 more, is it really worth it?

It's really not the same sound output. Here is an article that would clarify that.

https://headfonics.com/2018/10/fiio-m3k-review/

All 3 DACs are compared.

Jun 6, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #404 of 636
I have the M11 for inside critical listening but for music on the go you cant beat the M3K. Light with great battery life and starts right up playing music from where you left off seconds after turning player on. Down side is screen and controls are small with odd learning curve. I find keeping random play always engaged and just playing it without paying attention to the screen after you initially set it up is the way to go. I also use the new custom eq but only for lower frequencies since treble is perfect. Once again set the eq and forget it.

Jun 6, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #405 of 636
It's really not the same sound output. Here is an article that would clarify that.

https://headfonics.com/2018/10/fiio-m3k-review/

All 3 DACs are compared.
Thanks, so I understood the m3k has better treble than the shanling m0 and better battery than the Hidizs AP80 and m0, the double better. The other one that I thought is to wait for the fiio m5 that still does not know when it will come out and has the same functionalities and more than the m3k. Although you do not know the price yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back