[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
May 26, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #3,961 of 5,690
Did you ever find a better adapter? My iPower Elite does not fit snug either. The iPower connector is longer than the stock M17 power adapter which means it bottoms out inside the plug and not on the outer housing of the plug. This makes it 'loose' even though it's connecting power just fine. None of the provided adapters were the correct length. I don't think it's a huge deal because it's still connecting just fine internally, it's just annoying that it can move around because the tip is too long.
Use a short extension. A few bucks on Aliexpress :)

...or even better, this adapter

1653615042236.png

Last edited:
May 26, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #3,962 of 5,690
Did you ever find a better adapter? My iPower Elite does not fit snug either. The iPower connector is longer than the stock M17 power adapter which means it bottoms out inside the plug and not on the outer housing of the plug. This makes it 'loose' even though it's connecting power just fine. None of the provided adapters were the correct length. I don't think it's a huge deal because it's still connecting just fine internally, it's just annoying that it can move around because the tip is too long.
Did you ask iFi support? I don't think the length needs to be flush because there is no locking mechanism that requires that. The plug is held in place by friction on the outer and inner barrel. On my iPower Elite, the amount of force I need to insert and unplug feels the same as the Fiio provided one, if not a little tighter. But to your concern, I do see a little bit of the metal barrel. Taking a quick survey of 4 other DC powered devices around the house, 2 are flush fitting and 2 show some amount of barrel sticking out. Personally, if something is flush fitting, I would be concerned the barrel isn't long enough to ensure the inner barrel makes positive connect with the central pin.

The only time I've ever seen locking DC plug was the custom DC plug that RME uses. That requires you to fit the plug into a key and rotate to lock in the key.

May 27, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #3,963 of 5,690
@FiiO
I’ve just got your UTWS5 and I am surprised to have noticed that the M17 has no support for Aptx Adaptive, or LHDC. These are flagship products that when connected to each other, should play at their maximum quality seamlessly. With that in mind, Will these codecs be supported in a future M17 firmware update?
And if that’s not possible, will the UTWS5 be able to support LDAC or Aptx-HD in a future firmware update?
it will be interesting for FiiO to elaborate as to why the M17 Bluetooth receiver supports SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX Low Latency/aptX HD/aptX Adaptive/LDAC but the transmitter only supports SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX HD/LDAC.
Dear friend,
We could not add the AptX adaptive for the M17 Bluetooth transmitter mode and Qualcomm has confrimed AptX adaptive would not be added for Snapdragon 660. So unless Qualcomm could add the support or we could not get it work.
Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 27, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #3,964 of 5,690
Dear friend,
We could not add the AptX adaptive for the M17 Bluetooth transmitter mode and Qualcomm has confrimed AptX adaptive would not be added for Snapdragon 660. So unless Qualcomm could add the support or we could not get it work.
Best regards
@FiiO What about adding LHDC to the M17 or, LDAC, aptX-HD to the UTWS5, would that be possible?

May 27, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #3,965 of 5,690
@FiiO What about adding LHDC to the M17 or, LDAC, aptX-HD to the UTWS5, would that be possible?
Aptx Adaptive is backwards compatible with Aptx-HD.

May 27, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #3,966 of 5,690
Aptx Adaptive is backwards compatible with Aptx-HD.
Yeah, but the M17 does not support adaptive and the UTWS5 does not support HD. Hence, both can only communicate with each other via standard aptX an old and inefficient codec.
That incompatibility is not really what is expected of flagship products from the same company.

May 27, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #3,967 of 5,690
Yeah, but the M17 does not support adaptive and the UTWS5 does not support HD. Hence, both can only communicate with each other via standard aptX an old and inefficient codec.
That incompatibility is not really what is expected of flagship products from the same company.
I haven't tried, but I would think UTWS5 in Aptx Adaptive and M17 Aptx-HD works. Of course I am only reading the paper specs on Fiio website and it says M17 support Aptx-HD in transmit mode.

May 27, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #3,968 of 5,690
I am playing this long weekend with a Grado GS3000e ... and the FIIO M17 is quite convincing with it ..
As I use some significant PEQ (with PowerampEQ) to improve ultra low frequencies (Thank's to Android 10+), I think I should switch to a balanced connection to go to another level with the Grado and M17.

Grado GS3000E FIIO M17 stack 4 web .jpg

May 27, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #3,969 of 5,690
I haven't tried, but I would think UTWS5 in Aptx Adaptive and M17 Aptx-HD works. Of course I am only reading the paper specs on Fiio website and it says M17 support Aptx-HD in transmit mode.
When you connect two devices, they will automatically use the best code they can talk to each other with (regardless of settings), but as you can see in the pictures, these two connect with plain old standard aptX. ☹️

20220527_184635.jpg

20220527_184613.jpg

May 27, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #3,970 of 5,690
When you connect two devices, they will automatically use the best code they can talk to each other with (regardless of settings), but as you can see in the pictures, these two connect with plain old standard aptX. ☹️

20220527_184635.jpg

20220527_184613.jpg
I see. However isn't there a way in Android to manually set your BT transmit to your desired CODEC rather than leave it on auto? In my personal use on their Android systems I maybe got 1 out 5 times where auto selected the "true" best CODEC. In fact when using LDAC, I've always had to manually set LDAC and manually set max bit rate. It's only when I used a Sony BT headphone and Sony Walkman where auto truly worked.

May 27, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #3,971 of 5,690
I see. However isn't there a way in Android to manually set your BT transmit to your desired CODEC rather than leave it on auto? In my personal use on their Android systems I maybe got 1 out 5 times where auto selected the "true" best CODEC. In fact when using LDAC, I've always had to manually set LDAC and manually set max bit rate. It's only when I used a Sony BT headphone and Sony Walkman where auto truly worked.
Yes, of course but, that does not mean the units will use the codec selected if one of the apparatuses hardware does not support it (as it is the case here)
LDAC has several bitrate settings to either prioritise sound quality (high bitrate but unstable connection) high stability or somewhere in the middle. That's why it has to be manually selected.
I have manually tried every CODEC available in the M17 and with the UTWS5, it always connects with standard aptX.

May 27, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #3,973 of 5,690
I'm not being facetious here. I can sometimes correct a loose power source plug with blue painter's tape. And if done with care and tape cut down with a sharp razor/exacto-knife doesn't look horrible either.

May 28, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #3,974 of 5,690
@JamesFiiO

Following this block, the Dc-in switch will pull 12-15V toward the LDO and by passing the Dc/Dc converter (which preserved for battery ?)

Under PSU DC connections, does the PSU also supply the DAC as well as the amp ?

What is the highest Voltage that the DC PSU can be accepted ? Was it ever confirmed ? Earlier in the developments, I think it was claimed 18V ?

PS: I got it, both the 15V and or battery 10V are boosted toward single rail of positive. The DC/DC pressure is actually a negative rails converter
AD687F4A-72E5-485C-AADF-02D5A165AC67.jpeg

Last edited:
May 28, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #3,975 of 5,690
@JamesFiiO

Following this block, the Dc-in switch will pull 12-15V toward the LDO and by passing the Dc/Dc converter (which preserved for battery ?)

Under PSU DC connections, does the PSU also supply the DAC as well as the amp ?

What is the highest Voltage that the DC PSU can be accepted ? Was it ever confirmed ? Earlier in the developments, I think it was claimed 18V ?

PS: I got it, both the 15V and or battery 10V are boosted toward single rail of positive. The DC/DC pressure is actually a negative rails converter
AD687F4A-72E5-485C-AADF-02D5A165AC67.jpeg
You working on a power mod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back