[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Jan 27, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #2,461 of 5,680
How do you like FH9 with M17? I am thinking off buying FH9 too.
I love the FH9. I even bought two, one for me and one for my wife. It is an awesome pairing.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #2,464 of 5,680
How do you like FH9 with M17? I am thinking off buying FH9 too.
Very punchy. Best for Disco, Rock, R&B and the like. Not so good for Jazz or Classical

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #2,465 of 5,680
Very punchy. Best for Disco, Rock, R&B and the like. Not so good for Jazz or Classical
Interestingly, I find it a very versatile tuning that can suit all. It is a slight V shape but I don't think it is overly done. But then again, this is an IEM and how it fits influences the sound. I have shallow / short ear canals and can't insert them too much deep in. Headphones are another story. My favourite HP is DCA Stealth and many claim that it lacks bass but not for me.

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #2,466 of 5,680
Interestingly, I find it a very versatile tuning that can suit all. It is a slight V shape but I don't think it is overly done. But then again, this is an IEM and how it fits influences the sound. I have shallow / short ear canals and can't insert them too much deep in. Headphones are another story. My favourite HP is DCA Stealth and many claim that it lacks bass but not for me.
I have experimented with all attachments and filters, and like I said, they are great for pop/rock/R&B and the like and, for that music genere, I love them but, to my ears, for jazz and classical they are just too punchy, even with the balanced or treble filters.

Jan 27, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #2,467 of 5,680
I have experimented with all attachments and filters, and like I said, they are great for pop/rock/R&B and the like and, for that music genere, I love them but, to my ears, for jazz and classical they are just too punchy, even with the balanced or treble filters.
Maybe not the best place to discuss this, it is interesting that people decide what a headphone or IEM should be suitable for by mainly listening to the bass, whereas I think it is mainly the mids. I don't find the FH9 mids recessed to categorise them easily. I listen to fusion, acoustic instruments also and FH9 - for me - does them all very well.

For example, this person here says he is mainly a classical listener and finds the tuning of FH9 very balanced:

"For classical repertoire, FiiO FH9 also has an absolutely neutral interpretation, and this neutrality is not the same as the straightforward listening in the traditional impression. For FiiO FH9, the tri-band has a well-balanced distribution and the low-frequency can also bring a good atmosphere to the music."

https://www.qucox.com/fiio-fh9-earbuds-review/

Jan 27, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #2,468 of 5,680
Maybe not the best place to discuss this, it is interesting that people decide what a headphone or IEM should be suitable for by mainly listening to the bass, whereas I think it is mainly the mids. I don't find the FH9 mids recessed to categorise them easily. I listen to fusion, acoustic instruments also and FH9 - for me - does them all very well.

For example, this person here says he is mainly a classical listener and finds the tuning of FH9 very balanced:

"For classical repertoire, FiiO FH9 also has an absolutely neutral interpretation, and this neutrality is not the same as the straightforward listening in the traditional impression. For FiiO FH9, the tri-band has a well-balanced distribution and the low-frequency can also bring a good atmosphere to the music."

https://www.qucox.com/fiio-fh9-earbuds-review/
As I have previously said to iFi. Hearing is a sense we all experience in a different way. Ear shape, (both outer cartilage and inner canal), together with hearing damage and frequencies sensibilities, (among a plethora of variables) influences how any individual perceives sound.
So, what one person finds is good for a particular genere, for another is the complete opposite.
No one is right or wrong.
Now, the real tricky part of using reviews as a guide for posible purchases, is finding the reviewer that has similar sound perception to yours… only then can you trust that, what he is describing, will be very close to what you will experience
So, without going into more details that what I have already stated. At this price range, the FH9 is a fantastic IEM that has very good synergy with the M17 and I have no trouble recommending it.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #2,471 of 5,680
How much it has changed in terms of sound? What are the most noticeable differencies after 60hours burn-in? :)
the dynamic, transient and specially transparent changes alot, maybe its the burn in, break in or brain in phase started to developed in me. Cause first time i am listened to m17 it just sound good not great. But yeah this thing now is great and can become one of the best for me.

Jan 28, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #2,472 of 5,680
In the FiiO music app, Trying to figure a way to disable the scrolling of lyrics across the portion of the screen where there previously was just the title of the album (between the yellow lines I drew on there). Now, where I go to a song, that area starts with Album Title > then shifts to songwriters names, then begins to scroll lyrics. I have no interest in having those things displayed, other than just the Album Title. I would like for there just to be the Album name below the track bitrate info. Any help would be appreciated!
915D1D2E-7B42-4363-938B-CCE9F3193B38.jpeg

Jan 28, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #2,473 of 5,680
In the FiiO music app, Trying to figure a way to disable the scrolling of lyrics across the portion of the screen where there previously was just the title of the album (between the yellow lines I drew on there). Now, where I go to a song, that area starts with Album Title > then shifts to songwriters names, then begins to scroll lyrics. I have no interest in having those things displayed, other than just the Album Title. I would like for there just to be the Album name below the track bitrate info. Any help would be appreciated!
I have the same problem :D I think you can "reset database" in the FiiO Music menu, this should help.

I have some suggestions for the FiiO Music app improvement :)

• Would be great if there would be a possibility to split an option in FiiO Music settings menu to search for "song lyrics" and "song cover" separately, instead of one option called "search for song lyrics and cover online".

• Another thing is that not all my album covers are being displayed when playing music, somehow FiiO Music does not find them in the album subfolders in png. or jpg. formats, so would be great to make a possibility to choose each album art manually from each folder, instead of searching online, because online search brings wrong covers for the most of time.

• Sometimes lyrics does not match the song timeline correctly and sometimes FiiO music brings missmatched lyrics for the song being played.

• Also would be nice to add some more variety of skins for the FiiO Music player, to choose from "themes menu" or to download via FiiO Store app.

I hope all these things will be solved and improved in the next FiiO Music app update 3.1.0 :)

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #2,474 of 5,680
The Utopia didn't play well with the M17 and I was reluctant to plug in the 1266 TC and shock! It is much better, the dryness and dullness of the sound have disappeared, there is good weighting, there is musicality, gentle treble. As if I started listening to another DAP, great synergy! Maybe it has to do with the fact that I kept it under mains power for the last 24 hours. @Nostoi you must like this now lol!

Jan 28, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #2,475 of 5,680
The Utopia didn't play well with the M17 and I was reluctant to plug in the 1266 TC and shock! It is much better, the dryness and dullness of the sound have disappeared, there is good weighting, there is musicality, gentle treble. As if I started listening to another DAP, great synergy! Maybe it has to do with the fact that I kept it under mains power for the last 24 hours. @Nostoi you must like this now lol!
Well, I'm glad to hear the synergy works here. I think it goes to show that the M17 is fairly neutral and will reveal the strengths and flaws in any given headphone. It also reinforces - as I said on the AK thread - that DAC implementation is everything (given that both M17 and CA1000 use ESS chips).

I'm not a big believer in burn-in, but I do think the M17 opens up and evens out over time. Currently listening to ZMF VC on the M17, and for some genres (esp. soundtracks/ambient), the results are top notch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back