[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Jun 29, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #4,216 of 5,690
I'm wondering, can the m17 go full-dc and be run with no battery usage?
It was said several times, DC mode is basically without any battery usage...
You can even set, in the Battery menu, the option to even avoid any battery charging while using DC.

Jun 29, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #4,217 of 5,690
When on DC mode it doesn't use the battery but it charges the battery.
But it only powers the analog section, or? Digital section still depends on battery. Or let's say, if the battery is dead and not chargeable, using the DC supply wouldn't be enough. At least that was my understanding. I might be wrong.

Jun 29, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #4,218 of 5,690
You can even set, in the Battery menu, the option to even avoid any battery charging while using DC.
Oh, OK. So it powers also the digital section.

Jun 29, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #4,219 of 5,690
thank you very much, sorry if it was a repeat!

Jun 29, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #4,220 of 5,690
Oh, OK. So it powers also the digital section.
It powers the full DAP from DC, and it's optional, but it can slowly charge the batteries while using it to listen to some music.
As I use at home the M17 as a desktop DAP (connected to an exernal DAC + AMP), it's rather convenient to have the option to charge the batteries though they are not used.

Jun 29, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #4,221 of 5,690
But it only powers the analog section, or? Digital section still depends on battery. Or let's say, if the battery is dead and not chargeable, using the DC supply wouldn't be enough. At least that was my understanding. I might be wrong.
So DC power is enough for the entire DAP (analog and digital) and can even provide enough power to an external 4TB SSD (connected to the right USB-C OTG only).
As soon as the left USB-C port is used, the DC power input provides power only to the analog part of the M17 (The digital part of the M17 is powered by the battery and the battery can't be charged anymore).

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #4,223 of 5,690
I think it should work, at least on the OTG usb-C port (Bottom Right) .. I use some WD_Black P50 4Tb SSD and Samsung T7 2Tb SSD without any issue.

Jun 29, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #4,225 of 5,690
I just checked, but it seems with the new M17 firmware, I don't have any issue anymore with Qobuz using any of the USB-C port to an external DAC and keep the M17 being charged with DC (even with Poweramp EQ activated in between).
Before, I could manage only FIIO Player, Neutron Player and Usb Audio Player Pro and not with amazon player or Qobuz (I had to use BT output or Lineout).

I think this was my last annoying issue with the M17...
I would say, I can manage all situations, I was dreaming from a solid DAP set either as desktop mode or as a 100% really portable DAP (anywhere in my house or used at office or for travelling and trips).
It can manage rather well all my most important headphones and IEM => DCA Stealth, Grado GS3000e, HEDDphone one and Vision Ears EXT.
The FIIO M17 is still bulky but really versatile.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #4,226 of 5,690
This is something that I have mentioned in M17 and M11 Plus ESS reviews.
@FiiO you must make filter selection more easy and you should add at top information bar gain and filter info at glance.
M17 & M11 must be the only players at the market that don't display gain and filter info at the top bar.
Dear Ichos,

We will try to report this requirement again to the engineer and hope they could add in next firmware update.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 1, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #4,227 of 5,690
Question for M17 owners. I assume everyone would prefer not to use a PIN to lock the screen since this is only used to listen to music. However, in order to use Google Play to download/purchase apps, how do you prevent your Google account info and Chrome password sync from falling into the wrong hands if you don't use a PIN?

Is it as simple as creating a separate Google account just for M17 and not use my "real" Google account? This hasn't been an issue so far since I don't take the M17 outside the house, but now I am starting to travel again.

Thanks

Jul 1, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #4,228 of 5,690
Question for M17 owners. I assume everyone would prefer not to use a PIN to lock the screen since this is only used to listen to music. However, in order to use Google Play to download/purchase apps, how do you prevent your Google account info and Chrome password sync from falling into the wrong hands if you don't use a PIN?

Is it as simple as creating a separate Google account just for M17 and not use my "real" Google account? This hasn't been an issue so far since I don't take the M17 outside the house, but now I am starting to travel again.

Thanks
Using only apk pure and buy neutron from the site, is there any encryption on the device and microsd?

Jul 2, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #4,229 of 5,690
i upgraded to firmware v1.04 lately. not sure it's related or not but i frequently run into an error that there's no microSD card inserted when i turned on my m17. restart it and it runs smoothly without problem. but still that's quite annoying. anyone else also encounter similar issues? thanks!

Jul 2, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #4,230 of 5,690
Did anyone root their M17 yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back