FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Dec 30, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #3,376 of 4,083
Thank you, that’s great to hear. How did you install the Tidal app so it would save playlists for offline mqa play? The m15 was the player I was leaning towards just got scared when people said tidal was not working with it since I use tidal whenever I want to hear something different then my downloaded high res playlists. Which is essentially almost everyday.

I did nothing special. I cleared the cache and removed the old version dating back from prior to Tidal officially starting to support FiiO devices. I then installed a fresh more recent version from the Play store, configured it and deactivated Loudness Normalization. That apparently needs to be deactivated in order to support MQA 8x unfold.

So now whenever I select an album in Masters album or playlist containing MQA songs, and select the download switch, it simply downloads them for offline use. When I then switch off WiFI and go to my downloaded music, any song in Masters quality triggers the MQA icon in the taskbar.

(note: in settings/display you need to select Sample Rate Display, that makes it a bit more clear when and how a track is played. As an example, David Bowie - Young Americans, an MQA Studio recording, displays the MQA icon + the 192Khz sample rate in the taskbar, in online as well as offline mode)

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #3,377 of 4,083
Has anyone experienced any channel imbalance using the Line-Out? I ask because I sent my Shure KSE1200 in for servicing after I noticed a slight channel imbalance; the left side volume was slightly lower than the right side. Swapped ears and sure enough it was on the right side afterwards. I tested it with several cables & noticed the same issue. I just spoke with the Shure technician who tested the KSE1200 & who also had several colleagues confirm his findings; he found no channel imbalance, but stated it was quite possibly the source I was using. I can't remember if had tested the KSE1200 using other sources, but I just wanted to inquire if anyone has noticed any issues using the Line-Out. I haven't noticed any channel imbalance listening straight out of the M15, but I'll do some more testing.

Shure is shipping the KSE1200 back to me so I should hopefully have it back in a few days and I'll be able to confirm if it's the M15. They've also said I could send the M15 along with the KSE1200 if I wanted them to test the entire setup so that's another option as well.

Dec 31, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #3,378 of 4,083
Has anyone experienced any channel imbalance using the Line-Out? I ask because I sent my Shure KSE1200 in for servicing after I noticed a slight channel imbalance; the left side volume was slightly lower than the right side. Swapped ears and sure enough it was on the right side afterwards. I tested it with several cables & noticed the same issue. I just spoke with the Shure technician who tested the KSE1200 & who also had several colleagues confirm his findings; he found no channel imbalance, but stated it was quite possibly the source I was using. I can't remember if had tested the KSE1200 using other sources, but I just wanted to inquire if anyone has noticed any issues using the Line-Out. I haven't noticed any channel imbalance listening straight out of the M15, but I'll do some more testing.

Shure is shipping the KSE1200 back to me so I should hopefully have it back in a few days and I'll be able to confirm if it's the M15. They've also said I could send the M15 along with the KSE1200 if I wanted them to test the entire setup so that's another option as well.

I use the line out quite a bit and never noticed a imbalance. You don’t have any problem with the 3.5 headphone out?

Dec 31, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #3,379 of 4,083
I use the line out quite a bit and never noticed a imbalance. You don’t have any problem with the 3.5 headphone out?
Never noticed any issues with the 3.5 headphone out, although I’ll be testing & re-testing. I did just test the M15 with the SMSL SP200. There seems to be a slight imbalance affecting both sides at low volume, but I’m attributing that to the scratchy volume pot of the SP200 itself. With the volume all the way down I don’t hear an imbalance; with just the slightest turn of the volume I get an imbalance on one side then the other. At normal listening volume there is no imbalance. I’ll have to see what else I can test the M15 with.

Dec 31, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #3,380 of 4,083
Never noticed any issues with the 3.5 headphone out, although I’ll be testing & re-testing. I did just test the M15 with the SMSL SP200. There seems to be a slight imbalance affecting both sides at low volume, but I’m attributing that to the scratchy volume pot of the SP200 itself. With the volume all the way down I don’t hear an imbalance; with just the slightest turn of the volume I get an imbalance on one side then the other. At normal listening volume there is no imbalance. I’ll have to see what else I can test the M15 with.
I’ll see if I have anything else I can test with, I just ordered the Romi Bx2 but that will be ages until it arrives

Jan 1, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #3,382 of 4,083

I’ve used the M15 line out to the KSE1200. There seems to be too much voltage and I hear static at times so I stopped using the M15. Never noticed a channel imbalance though.

Jan 1, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #3,383 of 4,083
I’ve used the M15 line out to the KSE1200. There seems to be too much voltage and I hear static at times so I stopped using the M15. Never noticed a channel imbalance though.
How is it if you enable “variable volume” for the line out? Does that change anything?

Jan 2, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #3,384 of 4,083
For those who had both M11 Pro and M15, if I'm only planning to use it with highly sensitive IEMs, the difference between the two may be very slim right?

Jan 2, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #3,385 of 4,083
For those who had both M11 Pro and M15, if I'm only planning to use it with highly sensitive IEMs, the difference between the two may be very slim right?
There were quite a few people earlier that preferred the M11pro to the M15 with IEMs. The tuning between the two are apparently different so you may not even like one of them.

Jan 5, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #3,386 of 4,083
Anyone owns AK Kann and M15? I have both, and M15 is way faster, more responsive, sound is wide, clear, detailed but not that much of a difference on mine belowed Meze 99 Classic. M15 is still below or around 50h. :)

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #3,387 of 4,083
Anyone own AK Kann and M15? I have both, and M15 is way faster, more responsive, sound is wide, clear, detailed but not that much of a difference on mine belowed Meze 99 Classic. M15 is still below or around 50h. :)
the original KANN ?

Jan 5, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #3,389 of 4,083
There were quite a few people earlier that preferred the M11pro to the M15 with IEMs. The tuning between the two are apparently different so you may not even like one of them.
You will want to test them together, A/B them to see if there is a real difference with your IEM's. I've heard both reports - some saying the M11Pro is "darker" for high sensitivity IEM's, while the M15 while not "noisy" is livelier. And, some say there is no difference.

It depends on the particular IEM I think, given recent experience with a Hybrid Tube amp. With all of my headphones the Xduoo TA-20 is silent with PSVANE 12AU7-T MKII tubes, but with 1 IEM I hear haze - not HISS, but haze - that isn't audible during media play. The new KZ ASX has 20 BA's and apparently one pair of those 2 "extra" BA's pick up that haze from the AMP (tubes) that the previous top BA model KZ AS16 doesn't hear.

With a different Tube, NOS RCA Clear Top "Baldwin" (made by RCA for Baldwin Organ's) all of my headphones are quiet, but as soon as I connected any IEM there is a wall of HISS, way louder than can be ignored.

So not only is there an IEM sensitivity - there is a source generation issue based on the tube type for the TA-20.

With the M15 (I have one) there is no HAZE or HISS of any kind, I find it hard to imagine the M11Pro has any "less" of the nothing that they M15 has :)

The Topping A90 is also silent, as is the FiiO M15, as is the Xduoo TA-20 - with the right tube / headphone / IEM combination.

So, listen first if you can before buying, or buy from somewhere you can return the M15 after listening to all of your headphones and IEM's - and please use the "over the ear" mode for higher current, even on IEM's - at least try it to see if you like the sound better with / without that mode enabled.

And, please come back and let us know what you heard :)

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #3,390 of 4,083
I have had the M15 for like 3 days now. I feel like M11 Pro is probably ok, but I plan on getting back into headphones also, so the power of the M15 comes in handy.

Pairing my baby Westone ES60, M15 sounds natural, velvety smooth. There is excellent layering, imaging, separation. You can feel the width and depth of sound stage. You never feel fatigued. The instrument separation, imaging and sound stage are qualities I feel separate different tiers of gear. I happen to be on the review tour for Cayin N3 Pro. It's an excellent budget player, but you certainly hear the dramatic difference in all those qualities when you A/B.

Probably going to try to get a Denon D9200 to pair with the M15.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back