FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Sep 1, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #3,076 of 4,083
@CANiSLAYu understood - thanks!

Does that mean that if I see MQA48k at the top it is -not- unfolding, or no unfolding is possible, or that something else is wrong, or none of those things :p
Not an expert, but here's a post one of the Roon developers posted on their forum along these same lines:

There are four different rates here, which causes no end of confusion:
  1. The MQA container rate (i.e. 44.1k or 48k) which is how the MQA gets to you. It has nothing to do with anything else and has no bearing on rendering rates.
  2. The transport rate of decoded MQA (“MQA Core”) from the MQA decoder to the rendering part of a DAC. This can be from Roon (or any other MQA decoder) to the DAC, or within the DAC itself. MQA Core is always 2x rate (88.2k or 96k) and has no bearing on rendering rates.
  3. The original sample rate of the master. Roon reports this and so do/should DACs. It it relevant to rendering only insomuch as there may be additional recoverable information for original sample rates >96k.
  4. The rendering rate of the DAC, which is purely hardware dependent. Any MQA can be rendered at any rate, but the DAC is very unlikely to be reporting this.

So in short, UAPP should be passing the MQA signal along to the M15 DAC to do the core unfold and any subsequent unfold (depending on the sample rate of the file), and it should be unfolding it to 2x in this particular case, but the player is going to show the original sample rate of the master in the notification bar (this is a requirement of MQA standard).

Sep 2, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #3,077 of 4,083
Does that mean that if I see MQA48k at the top it is -not- unfolding, or no unfolding is possible, or that something else is wrong, or none of those things :p
It's been explained in uapp thread, from memory I remember at the top you see original sample rate, taken from meta data I guess, as MQA owners requested. Then uapp developers recently delegated unfolding to fiio so on direct you see what fiio actually does. 8x, 4x unfolding, depending on original sample rate.

Sep 2, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #3,079 of 4,083
I've got my M15 since about 1 month and I can confirm that burn in is necessary. After about 100-150hr it's pure happiness for my ears 😊.
Compared to DX220 and 229 there's a really noticeable difference (not night and day 😅)
Better soundstage, bass and voices have more impact (don't know exactly the words in english...) Trebles never hurt my ears
Pairing with focal Clear is really good amho
UI comparison is cruel for Ibasso, no comment...
On the other hand I've encountered a weird bug since some days, when I play a first track with Fiio player or Deezer I hear a big "CLACK" in the right speaker that kills my ear at each time 😄. If someone know this issue and have a solution in his bag...

Nice day to all of you
Laurent

Sep 3, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #3,080 of 4,083
Got one of these delivered yesterday after waffling about it for months despite having the Topping D90 and absolutely loving the AK4499. I've had it playing music constantly since about 4pm yesterday to burn it in as so many in this thread have commented on how much the sound changes over the first 100 hours or so. For fun, I started listening to it about an hour ago with my Andromeda V2 and any worries I had about the Andromeda not pairing well with this were totally unfounded.

Coming from the HiBy R5, I was pretty apprehensive. The Andromeda sound awful through that DAP--I've played with both the EQ and MSEB, but no matter what I do, treble is extremely harsh and fatiguing even at low volumes and mids overpower. It's not musical or enjoyable at all. Plus, there's a major drop in detail, clarity, and staging when comparing to the Andromeda through my GS-X mini. I know that's not really a fair comparison considering it's a mid-range DAP vs. a high-end desktop amp, but still.

There was no reason to worry at all. Without any EQ applied, the Andromeda sound absolutely stunning when powered by the M15. There's no hiss I can hear (only using the 3.5mm output currently but I'm planning on getting one of the upgraded cables from Campfire terminated in a 4.4mm balanced connector). Even after only about 19 hours of burning in, this DAP sounds wonderful and so similar to the D90 through the GS-X mini: bass is tight with great slam, the stage is so wide and holographic, treble is so smooth yet detailed...and most importantly, they're musical and FUN to listen to.

I'm excited to hear this after another 80 hours of burn in. And having a screen that's actually usable and responsive to touch is such a nice change of pace from the R5. If you're like me and are considering this DAP but concerned about synergy with the Andromeda: worry no more. These are an excellent match.

Sep 3, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #3,081 of 4,083
That's a great report, good news. I have Campfire Andromeda IEMs as well, and I love them with my M11 Pro. My new M15 shipped on Tuesday from B&H and I'm waiting for it to arrive at the FedEx Depot in New Hampshire so I can go rescue it tomorrow and stick the one terabyte card I ordered from them in. I'm definitely looking forward to using this Beast with the Andromedas as well as the Fiio FH7s. Most of my source files are rips of CDs to FLAC file format with EAC or ripped with my Brennan player. Others are DSD and mqa files and Flac files of concert sound board footage. I used tidal quite a lot and offline content from Tidal in highest available quality.
I would note that I've gone a little bit overboard buying 4.4 mm and 2.5 mm balanced cables for various vendors, and I preferred the look feel function of the KBear and Triptowin cables more so than cables I have from Campfire. At Can Jam NY New York 2019, I bought one of the Dunu Hulk cables even with their very cool changeable termination for ends. That was a very disappointing experience as I found the cable did not make well to the mmcx connectors on various of my IEMs from my Ibasso and Fiio.... I had to send it back to China for them to examine and weeks later I received it back, the same cable with really no comment and it still doesn't fit well I feel like I might destroy the connectors on my very good IEM if I even connect it. So I would stay away from that one at $300.

Sep 6, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #3,084 of 4,083
Is there anyone out there who has experience with the combination M15 + Shure SE846 IEMs? Am about to invest in IEMs and came across an interesting offer from a friend..

Sep 9, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #3,088 of 4,083
Hi all, has anyone tried the M15 with UM Mest? I've just bought the Mest and looking for a DAP as well, I'm currently looking at the M15 and Shanling M6 Pro. The MEST has an impedance of 14 and wondered if it would work okay?

Haven't had any issues using MEST with M15.

Sep 12, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #3,090 of 4,083
So I've been using my bluetooth lately with my speakers and headset.
Today, randomly it is like 90% lowered volume.

Thinking it was my speakers, paired it with my iPhone and TV, works fine on normal volumes so it has to be the FiiO M15.
Anyone else have this issue? I'm on the latest firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back