FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Mar 17, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #1,788 of 4,083
I'm not look at m15/m11 pro product page

Oh, well. This MQA thing has really become an issue. Actually the main problem is the streaming services not allowing any external application to download for offline playing, which sucks. If I want to decrypt those files, I can find a way whether you allow it or not. Maybe an application certification system can be implemented. Or a proper plugin system. But anyway, whatever it is, the whole concept of streaming service applications is still just a workaround rather than a solution.

But still, maybe FiiO application can still add at least Tidal support for online MQA playing, @FiiO ?

Mar 17, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #1,790 of 4,083
MQA decoder is only available in fiio music. Still totally botched on all other apps. Typical fiio lie. Finally added an asterisk to their product page for m15/m11 pro explaining after 6 months. Another 6 months we will get a "screen static remover" right @FiiO
Not exactly a lie as such, MQA is present just not in external apps. Fiio working the way most DAP companies work, adding features as the product matures.

Mar 17, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #1,791 of 4,083
Fiio could get it working right away but they don't want to pay the licencing fee. They are waiting to sell more m15/m11 pro to see if its worth it to them. In the meantime they lie to their customers.

Fiio is known for pulling this kinda stuff. Making promises and then abandoning their older products and releasing new ones with the promised features.

Wouldn't surprise me if we never saw full MQA decoding on these daps

Mar 17, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #1,792 of 4,083
Oh, well. This MQA thing has really become an issue. Actually the main problem is the streaming services not allowing any external application to download for offline playing, which sucks. If I want to decrypt those files, I can find a way whether you allow it or not. Maybe an application certification system can be implemented. Or a proper plugin system. But anyway, whatever it is, the whole concept of streaming service applications is still just a workaround rather than a solution.

But still, maybe FiiO application can still add at least Tidal support for online MQA playing, @FiiO ?

Tidal has built in Core Decoder, (UAPP does as well, but there is a $5 fee). You get the first unfold with core decoder.

*Disclaimer*

I don't really believe in MQA or hear a difference at all. Most of the MQA tracks on tidal are just fabricated anyway and are technically lossy, all be it "high res" lossy. A lot of more contemporary songs are actually upscaled from 44.1khz to 88.2/96khz by the Core Decoder in tidal so they can be ran through MQA fancy filter, (Which is actually just a slow roll off min phase filter). Not to mention they arn't even 24 bit files, they are actually truncated and upscaled to 17 bits from 16. NOT 24.

My point being, I don't want to sound like an MQA fanboy just more disappointed by Fiios actions here regarding making phony promises to custs.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #1,793 of 4,083
I don't get it, must be getting old.

Doesn't want MQA but happy to run down the product and company.

And they are not lying as it works in Fiio music app

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #1,794 of 4,083
something need to be clarified:

1, It is not a licenced issues about MQA, cause we pay all the money for the MQA in M11Pro/M15.

2, For M11, we are tryting to add the MQA features by firmware upgrade in the future. and we will pay the licence fee too, although we have not caculated the cost when we released M11 one year ago.

3, For MQA decode , it is powered by MQA but not FiiO, we just implement the SDK into our firmare, the reason why it can not support in the system can't be solve by us now. for any Android device, it is a system releasted to a lots of thing and can't be solved alone.

4, We believed that an open, transparent communication will good for improve the relationship between brand and customer, but sometime we have not say something that will happen in the future, and people always ask us what we are going to do. but please understand that it does not means everything we say will be come ture in time.

so if it is means we are lying, that will be force us shut up cause we don't want in trouble and I don't see many companies will like to discuss the detail of future plan with public .

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 17, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #1,796 of 4,083

1, It is not a licenced issues about MQA, cause we pay all the money for the MQA in M11Pro/M15.

2, For M11, we are tryting to add the MQA features by firmware upgrade in the future. and we will pay the licence fee too, although we have not caculated the cost when we released M11 one year ago.

3, For MQA decode , it is powered by MQA but not FiiO, we just implement the SDK into our firmare, the reason why it can not support in the system can't be solve by us now. for any Android device, it is a system releasted to a lots of thing and can't be solved alone.

4, We believed that an open, transparent communication will good for improve the relationship between brand and customer, but sometime we have not say something that will happen in the future, and people always ask us what we are going to do. but please understand that it does not means everything we say will be come ture in time.

so if it is means we are lying, that will be force us shut up cause we don't want in trouble and I don't see many companies will like to discuss the detail of future plan with public .
So is there a timeline for it being enabled in Tidal for M15? In the launch thread it was indicated March for the update, but I understand the COVID-19 pandemic has put a lot of plans on hold across the globe.

And I guess I’m confused by your point #3. Companies such as Astell&Kern and HiBy have enabled MQA in Tidal on their Android-based DAPs, so users can utilize MQA with offline files. Are you saying this can’t be done with M15?

Mar 18, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #1,797 of 4,083

Hi @JamesFiiO , @Davy Wentzler should be able to help you guys get this done. I have seen him figure out more complex things at the Android OS level than this .. That's also why I made the suggestion to @WianFiiO in FiiO-philes to team up with him and see if you can figure out some form of partnership with eXtream SD ..

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #1,798 of 4,083
In defense of FiiO, I just want to add that implementing MQA decoding and rendering in the Android audio system for system-wide (all app) use is a complex thing. Audio needs to be passed in bit-perfect, otherwise the MQA decoder cannot work. This means that no other audio like system sounds may play at the same time (or in other words, the Mixer mode cannot be used). That's why most manufacturers implement MQA decoding and rendering in the official app they include with their DAP. IMHO, this is a very understandable decision since it could take months of work otherwise. I know Hiby has succeeded in this, but it's not like flipping a switch.

Mar 18, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #1,799 of 4,083
So is there a timeline for it being enabled in Tidal for M15? In the launch thread it was indicated March for the update, but I understand the COVID-19 pandemic has put a lot of plans on hold across the globe.

And I guess I’m confused by your point #3. Companies such as Astell&Kern and HiBy have enabled MQA in Tidal on their Android-based DAPs, so users can utilize MQA with offline files. Are you saying this can’t be done with M15?
Hi, we are working on it since Dec 2019, and it planed to be achieved by the end of this month, but due to the Virus, our enginer can't come to work until the end of last month, so this plan has been postponed.
Currently we have implemented system-wide MQA when you use digital output (Spdif / USB Audio), and we will continue to work to achieve it as soon as possible.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 19, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #1,800 of 4,083
How good would it pair with a Campfire Andromeda? I´m asking because it´s recommended at 16 Ohms. Can it display embedded Lyrics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back