FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Mar 3, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #1,516 of 4,083
And I really paid particular attention the first time I turned it on and I had no rectangle at the start and I saw it appear afterwards, so the theory of circuits heating up is plausible.

Might also be possible it being the adhesive/thermal glue. Anyone who's up to the task of dismantling his/her M15 might take a look what's underneath the screen. :beyersmile:

Mar 3, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #1,517 of 4,083
I don’t know but it’s a total disappointement, I can't imagine I'm the only one who's seen this problem... seriously I want a fiio explanation, find me a reason and don't tell me to do an update. @FiiO @JamesFiiO it's my second dap in 1 week

it is cause by static electricity and usually will be fixed by itself when the static electricity gone away.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 3, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #1,518 of 4,083
@JamesFiiO I returned my device to my distributor because you gave me an update and made me wait 2 to 3 days and you are telling me this now. Does it always go away? And what do I do if in 6 months the problem is still there?

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #1,521 of 4,083
I returned my device to my distributor because you gave me an update and made me wait 2 to 3 days and you are telling me this now. Does it always go away? And what do I do if in 6 months the problem is still there?

LOL....this is funny. :beyersmile: I can see that companies will give you a solution but never tells you why.
At least now we know the reason of the rectangle. So consider the worst case scenario: 6 months later it's still there, can you live with it?
Or you can return it and wait a couple of batches. As fiio knows about the complain they may get it fixed in the later batches, or not.
I'll post here if and when the rectangle disappeared on mine. :beyersmile:

Mar 4, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #1,522 of 4,083
Today I did one more comparision test with Stellia. Balanced, unbalanced and line-out to SHA900. I think I should be at >150 hours by now.

Line-out to SHA900 (unbalanced) and just very neutral. Very good clarity and instrument separation, but for some music might sound boring after listening to the full sound of M15. Clarity and airyness is a bit better than the unbalanced output of M15. But the balanced output is best of the both worlds. It is closer to SHA900 in clarity, but still sounding fuller like the unbalanced output. Initially I though that there should not be much difference, but at least with Stellia, there is. As always, also confirmed by the wife department.

DarginMahkum, I have been using the M15 with Fiio FH7 and Sennheiser HD800 but lately started using the SHA900's sister product, the KSE1200. It's a fantastic pairing, my current favorite, although I'm not sure which aspects of the sound can be attributed to the amp module and which are due to the brilliant electrostatic headphones. The next time I'm in the shop I will try the SHA900, and encourage you to try the KSE1200 if you get the chance.

Thankfully, there is an ignore button!
Many thanks to LightBlue77 for giving me the incentive to learn about the ignore button.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #1,523 of 4,083
It’s definitely an issue with the panel. I personally saw two units of M11 Pro (which uses the same panel) that exhibited the same rectangle. Luckily my M15 doesn’t have this issue (I specially looked for it after seeing those M11 Pros). I don’t buy a static electricity or firmware update solution...

Mar 4, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #1,524 of 4,083
It’s definitely an issue with the panel. I personally saw two units of M11 Pro (which uses the same panel) that exhibited the same rectangle. Luckily my M15 doesn’t have this issue (I specially looked for it after seeing those M11 Pros). I don’t buy a static electricity or firmware update solution...
New static free Fiio gloves coming.

Mar 4, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #1,525 of 4,083
So you are saying they are lying...

Mar 4, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #1,526 of 4,083
So you are saying they are lying...
Go read the M11 Pro thread starting at post 804. Someone even links to a post on the M11 non-pro thread with the same issue. Three different products with the same issue and the common denominator is the identical hardware (all three units use the same LCD panel). Hence not buying the firmware being the issue. Static electricity... sounds like iPhone 4 “you’re holding it wrong.” They probably got a bad batch of panels.

Mar 4, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #1,527 of 4,083
Go read the M11 Pro thread starting at post 804. Someone even links to a post on the M11 non-pro thread with the same issue. Three different products with the same issue and the common denominator is the identical hardware (all three units use the same LCD panel). Hence not buying the firmware being the issue. Static electricity... sounds like iPhone 4 “you’re holding it wrong.” They probably got a bad batch of panels.

I wonder if a complete discharge of the unit would help. Maybe this is what the provided firmware is trying to do. Even if it does, is there a guarantee that it will not come back? Hope it gets sorted out soon.

DarginMahkum, I have been using the M15 with Fiio FH7 and Sennheiser HD800 but lately started using the SHA900's sister product, the KSE1200. It's a fantastic pairing, my current favorite, although I'm not sure which aspects of the sound can be attributed to the amp module and which are due to the brilliant electrostatic headphones. The next time I'm in the shop I will try the SHA900, and encourage you to try the KSE1200 if you get the chance.

I had the KSE1500 and really liked it, but sold it as I wasn't OK with the fit. The line out of M15 is extremely transparent and clean. I actually asked some reviewers to do the comparision with other DAPs (especially with SP2000) using an external amp. Let's see what the outcome will be. SHA900 has the same old DAC which is used in KSE1500, but as a portable amp it is great both for its size and transparency, at least for me. Second hand it should be possible to find it for like $400 or less. With SHA, M15 becomes a completely different player. Not better or worse but different. I believe KSE and SHA amp section would share the same DNA.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #1,528 of 4,083
LOL....this is funny. :beyersmile: I can see that companies will give you a solution but never tells you why.
At least now we know the reason of the rectangle. So consider the worst case scenario: 6 months later it's still there, can you live with it?
Or you can return it and wait a couple of batches. As fiio knows about the complain they may get it fixed in the later batches, or not.
I'll post here if and when the rectangle disappeared on mine. :beyersmile:

giphy (1).gif

I'm pretty sure it won't disappear this damn rectangle... @JamesFiiO can you tell me or it was written on your website that I was going to end up with this thing on my screen, I would like to have a compensation or a solution, you want to play in the big leagues with high-end products, let's open two boxes of astell & kern sp2000 to see if they have an "electrostatic rectangle"... thank you

PS kick your quality control man out because he is visibly blind.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #1,529 of 4,083
Don't worry, the other headfiers who are in love with fiio will tell you it's ok, it is a state of the art machinery so quit whining :) don't expect a dap to work, it is just a dap, listen to the music, what more do you need? Play store? Good screen? Fast processing? Laser speed WiFi? Always cold unit, no app stopping when there is too much heat? Etc? Buy a smartphone for this, it's a dap :-D it only costs 1500$.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #1,530 of 4,083
lol :wink: for a DAP of 200 buck no problem i can live with that, for a TOTL I will be very picky on every detail sorry, it's supposed to be the cream of the crop, all of FIIO's know-how, "morning meetin, hey guy we forgot to put a quality screen in our last M15 .... no problem nobody will see it and anyway it is to listen to music " ha ha ha! I don't want to disparage the work of FIIO, the DAP is great, really, but that one, they missed it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back