FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Feb 11, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #1,096 of 4,083
Can you unlock the bootloader, so the device can be rooted and a custom rom can be developed to add the Play Store?

Sorry we have signed NDA with Samsung so we are not allowed to unlock the bootloader to any 3rd party.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 11, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #1,098 of 4,083
If anyone is in the market for a new M15, here is a nice discount, 3 left:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083KF1NWL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm still not fully sold on the sound due to my personal tuning preferences. The mids are a bit too overpowering and the midbass especially has too much in quantity for my tastes. To me it bleeds a little bit and adds a sense of muffledness/muddiness in the mids. I'm absolutely loving the vocals on this DAP though.

Feb 11, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #1,100 of 4,083

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083KF1NWL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm still not fully sold on the sound due to my personal tuning preferences. The mids are a bit too overpowering and the midbass especially has too much in quantity for my tastes. To me it bleeds a little bit and adds a sense of muffledness/muddiness in the mids. I'm absolutely loving the vocals on this DAP though.
All that has gone to me after 100hrs break-in. And I dont think its me as Ive been comparing it to DX228. They have now the same detail retrieval, but M15 has the lead in soundstage depth by quite a margin and low end tightness/impact. Clear winner, especially now.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #1,101 of 4,083
All that has gone to me after 100hrs break-in. And I dont think its me as Ive been comparing it to DX228. They have now the same detail retreavel, but M15 has the lead in soudstage depth by quite a margin and low end tightness/impact. Clear winner, especially now.

I will do some burn in without listening and see if it clears up. Thanks for the impressions. I definitely did notice some refinement from out of the box new use to a few hours in but it seems consistent so far since then, I will report back any findings.

Feb 11, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #1,102 of 4,083
All that has gone to me after 100hrs break-in. And I dont think its me as Ive been comparing it to DX228. They have now the same detail retreavel, but M15 has the lead in soudstage depth by quite a margin and low end tightness/impact. Clear winner, especially now.

I don't ever do purposefully burn in as I prefer to just let it happen over time so this is probably a stupid question but here goes, if I leave my IEMs in plugged through the 3.5mm output can I still expect to hear the same "burn in" results applied across to balanced outputs also? Reason being is my M5 are with a 4.4mm cable but I'd rather listen to those through my DX160 and let the A18t (3.5mm) stay plugged in indefinitely with the M15.

Thanks.

Feb 11, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #1,103 of 4,083

The muddiness would be one thing I cannot tolerate regardless of where it is originated. Hopefully, this can be corrected upon further burn in.

Feb 11, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #1,104 of 4,083
I don't ever do purposefully burn in as I prefer to just let it happen over time so this is probably a stupid question but here goes, if I leave my IEMs in plugged through the 3.5mm output can I still expect to hear the same "burn in" results applied across to balanced outputs also? Reason being is my M5 are with a 4.4mm cable but I'd rather listen to those through my DX160 and let the A18t (3.5mm) stay plugged in indefinitely with the M15.

Thanks.

Looking at the diagrams, it could be better to do it with a balanced HP/IEM. Do you have something with higher impedance, like a HP with a balanced cable? DX2x0 is delivered with a balanced burn in cable. Sony recommends a burn-in for 200 hours for WM1Z. It is written even somewhere in the submenus. I can also confirm that sound has changed quite a bit since the beginning.

Feb 11, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #1,105 of 4,083
The muddiness would be one thing I cannot tolerate regardless of where it is originated. Hopefully, this can be corrected upon further burn in.

Yep it's just how I hear it at least, it's probably the one "flaw" of the sound that I can point out when keeping my preferences in mind too. Other than that it's really good. I have been chatting with another M15 owner over PMs the fast few days who shares similar thoughts to me about it, so we will see if the burn in helps.

Feb 11, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #1,106 of 4,083
Looking at the diagrams, it could be better to do it with a balanced HP/IEM. Do you have something with higher impedance, like a HP with a balanced cable? DX2x0 is delivered with a balanced burn in cable. Sony recommends a burn-in for 200 hours for WM1Z. It is written even somewhere in the submenus. I can also confirm that sound has changed quite a bit since the beginning.

I literally just sold my DX220 this morning so that balanced burn in cable is gone, I will just leave my M5 plugged into the M15 and use the A18t for now. Not exactly a bad trade off :p Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #1,107 of 4,083
I literally just sold my DX220 this morning so that balanced cable is gone, I will just leave my M5 plugged into the M15 and use the A18t for now. Not exactly a bad trade off :p Thanks for the info.

A bit off-topic but how do you like your M5? I will order an A18t tomorrow. I am thinking of getting something more fun signature some time later. I liked the VE8, which is easier to get in Germany/EU, but VE Elysium was not really my thing.

Feb 11, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #1,108 of 4,083
A bit off-topic but how do you like your M5? I will order an A18t tomorrow. I am thinking of getting something more fun signature some time later. I liked the VE8, which is easier to get in Germany/EU, but VE Elysium was not really my thing.

Absolutely love it man, if you want something more "fun" then the M5 will do that for you while also being capable of performing just about every genre at a TOTL level. Fantastic IEM. I loved the Elysium too, those mids are something, but the bass is so off for me being a majority EDM listener that I couldn't pull the trigger on it.

The M5 with the FiiO M15 gave me really small Elysium vibes, the vocals on the M15 are done very well.

Feb 11, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #1,109 of 4,083
Absolutely love it man, if you want something more "fun" then the M5 will do that for you while also being capable of performing just about every genre at a TOTL level. Fantastic IEM. I loved the Elysium too, those mids are something, but the bass is so off for me being a majority EDM listener that I couldn't pull the trigger on it.

The M5 with the FiiO M15 gave me really small Elysium vibes, the vocals on the M15 are done very well.

Thanks. :) I like a bit of a sparkly treble, which is why I sometwimes use the SHA900 with M15. Elysium just was too warm for me and I didn't get why they had a ES tweeter, also as you said the bass is not at a fun level. VE8 was really good, though. M5 will be on the top of my list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back