FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Jan 21, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #466 of 4,083
For those that have one... I did not see anything on the specs page to say if it had an line out, or a digital out of some kind - my older X5 III had a jack you could switch in the interface. Does the M15 have an line out?

Jan 21, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #468 of 4,083
Got mine today as well. It's early listening still. Right now I"m trying the DAC against the internal DAC in my WA8 (so LO from the M15 to the WA8). This will be a common use case for me and is a clear improvement in detail and stage a few tracks in.

I posted here to make a note for anyone else unboxing right now: the Android File transfer app that Fiio distributes for the Mac will not work in Catalina. Just use the one from android.com (which you may already have) instead.

Jan 21, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #469 of 4,083
Got mine today as well. It's early listening still. Right now I"m trying the DAC against the internal DAC in my WA8 (so LO from the M15 to the WA8). This will be a common use case for me and is a clear improvement in detail and stage a few tracks in.

I posted here to make a note for anyone else unboxing right now: the Android File transfer app that Fiio distributes for the Mac will not work in Catalina. Just use the one from android.com (which you may already have) instead.

Cam you tell me where you purchased it from?

Jan 21, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #471 of 4,083
Cam you tell me where you purchased it from?

I got it from HiFiGo. It would be smarter/cheaper to wait for Amazon or any US retailer, but I was being impatient and wanted to get this before a trip next week (when I will have a lot of listening time)

For my ears on my system, the default filter is definitely the worst one. The two gentler filters make this thing *really* come alive for me. After figuring that out, this player is a lot of fun. I'm super happy.

I do get 3 little clicks when switching from DSD to PCM or back. Nothing objectionable really.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #472 of 4,083
Jan 22, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #473 of 4,083
I also received my M15 yesterday and initial impressions are quite positive. Although expensive, the M15 represents great value for money. After a day's use there are inevitable questions, though - Fiio, if you are listening, could you clarify a few points?

For lowpass filter settings, what is the audio impact of each setting? I found this at AKM's site but think it is for an earlier DAC. Fiio, is there a corresponding chart for the filter settings on the AK4499 / M15?
1575126146937.png

For those on Head-Fi who have experimented with lowpass filter settings, what are your preferences on the M15?

Fiio, is the included screen protector intended for the front screen? If so, it is narrower than the display leaving about 2mm uncovered on the left and right of the display. Will a properly sized front screen protector be released?

When will cases be available? I am not looking for anything fancy, just a clear TPU case as included with many Fiio DAPs to protect the device from the inevitable drops.

Thanks for a great DAP, and Kung Hei Fat Choi.

Jan 22, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #475 of 4,083
For those on Head-Fi who have experimented with lowpass filter settings, what are your preferences on the M15?

In my listening so far (just 3 hours) I narrowed down to two that I like: the super-slow roll-off and the short delay slow roll-off. (This was with most listening last night being via the line out). In both cases the bass was natural to me, great texture, much more natural than the DAC I was comparing this with (the WA8, which sounds a bit wooden in comparison). Speed/rhythm were spot-on IMO and this was true with DSDs and then all the way down to 16/44.

The default setting (short delay, sharp roll-off) was interesting in the level of detail, but wasn't nearly as musical or natural to me. Imaging and texture snapped into place nicely and I really started to enjoy the player when I discovered the slow roll-off options.

Personal preference and system fit will decide, of course, but the difference is not subtle.

For reference, the DAC I use in my room is PS Audio DS. The short delay slow roll-off filter sounds to me most similar to the PS Audio (although obviously this DAP is not as good as that in head to head, but directionally similar)

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #476 of 4,083
In my listening so far (just 3 hours) I narrowed down to two that I like: the super-slow roll-off and the short delay slow roll-off. (This was with most listening last night being via the line out). In both cases the bass was natural to me, great texture, much more natural than the DAC I was comparing this with (the WA8, which sounds a bit wooden in comparison). Speed/rhythm were spot-on IMO and this was true with DSDs and then all the way down to 16/44.

The default setting (short delay, sharp roll-off) was interesting in the level of detail, but wasn't nearly as musical or natural to me. Imaging and texture snapped into place nicely and I really started to enjoy the player when I discovered the slow roll-off options.

Personal preference and system fit will decide, of course, but the difference is not subtle.

For reference, the DAC I use in my room is PS Audio DS. The short delay slow roll-off filter sounds to me most similar to the PS Audio (although obviously this DAP is not as good as that in head to head, but directionally similar)
what cable you use for line out?

Jan 22, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #477 of 4,083
Jan 22, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #478 of 4,083
Yes I spoke with Son Vidéo they thought it would arrive on Monday but it got delayed... nice to see it arrived :)

Jan 22, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #479 of 4,083

Several M15 reviews make the natural comparison to the A&K SP2000, and find the M15 to be a bit bass-heavy. You noted the default filter option on the M15 is short delay, sharp roll-off which in the table is listed as enhancing bass. I wonder how much of the reviewer's percieved discrepancy in SQ between the two players is just down to the filter setting.

I agree with you that the difference between filter settings is not subtle. I first settled on Short Delay, Slow Roll-off but haven't spent any time yet with the Super Slow Roll-off and look forward to doing so.

Jan 22, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #480 of 4,083
Several M15 reviews make the natural comparison to the A&K SP2000, and find the M15 to be a bit bass-heavy. You noted the default filter option on the M15 is short delay, sharp roll-off which in the table is listed as enhancing bass. I wonder how much of the reviewer's percieved discrepancy in SQ between the two players is just down to the filter setting.

I agree with you that the difference between filter settings is not subtle. I first settled on Short Delay, Slow Roll-off but haven't spent any time yet with the Super Slow Roll-off and look forward to doing so.
Then use a bass light iem , presto , solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back