FiiO M11Pro | Dual AK4497 | THX AAA 78 Headpone Amp | 5.15" 18:9 720P | Exynos 7872 | 3G Ram+64G Rom |
Feb 11, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #978 of 1,931
Has anyone had a chance to compare the M11 Pro to the Ibasso DX160 in terms of sound quality? I'm thinking of selling my DX160 and buying an M11 Pro due to the faster processor and smoother UI.

Been trying to find this comparison too without much luck. After using the M15 I really love how polished the FiiO's are, although I find the DX160 to be great in terms of UI.

Feb 15, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #979 of 1,931
Have a problem with fiio m11 pro. I try to use fiio as a OTG USB device to connect with my DAC.
Bought a usb c to usb a (female) OTG cable but the dac still can't detect fiio. Try several setting but still not successful.

My DAC not have a problem with WM1Z.

Feb 17, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #981 of 1,931
Have a problem with fiio m11 pro. I try to use fiio as a OTG USB device to connect with my DAC.
Bought a usb c to usb a (female) OTG cable but the dac still can't detect fiio. Try several setting but still not successful.

My DAC not have a problem with WM1Z.

Not sure if this can be fully attributed to the M11 PRO .. There might be some nuance required .. :)

My own findings are that in DAC mode the M11 PRO behaves exactly like the iFi products I used to own (xDSD, iDSD Micro BL) .. In fact, they use the same USB DAC drivers under Windows. And on my Android phone UAPP (USB Audio Play PRO) recognizes and drives the M11 PRO excactly the same way .. .As far as I can determine, the M11 PRO does exactly what it is supposed to do ...

If you would test your DAC with iFi products connected to it and it still does not work, then I would consider this a limitation of your DAC / or a limitation of the M11 PRO (and iFi) approach ...
Only if iFi devices are recognized correctly, while the M11 PRO is not, I would say the USB DAC implementation by FiiO could be considered flawed ..

But for now, as far I can ascertain, FiiO chose the same approach as iFi .. Which works fine within the design parameters of that approach .. :)

Feb 18, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #982 of 1,931
Well, I don't have ifi product to test.
Anyway, when play it with WM1Z. The dac play it correctly.

I just want fiio to play audio via USB but it can't.
I want to compare the sound between those two daps via USB Audio cause I like the sound of WM1Z as a source more than my custom PC (fanless Linear PSU PC).

Feb 18, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #983 of 1,931
Well, I don't have ifi product to test.
Anyway, when play it with WM1Z. The dac play it correctly.

I just want fiio to play audio via USB but it can't.
I want to compare the sound between those two daps via USB Audio cause I like the sound of WM1Z as a source more than my custom PC (fanless Linear PSU PC).

Ah.. I see.. You want to use the FiiO M11 Pro as a source, not as a DAC.. Hmmm interesting issue :)

Feb 19, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #985 of 1,931
Any update on third party app MQA support? Thank you!

Unlikely .. Apart from Tidal (that actually supports MQA on the M11 PRO and M15), I believe there is only USB Audio Player PRO that supports MQA. In fact, sound quality is even better with UAPP than with Tidal itself.

Unfortunately UAPP (and many other apps) require Google Play services. By choosing Android 7 for their DAPs, @FiiO in fact chose to be in a position where Google Play Services will never become available. And therefore would have to rely on 3rd party developers recoding their app to go without Google Play services ... And that so far seems highly unlikely ..

So as far as I can assess any move towards third party MQA support would first require FiiO to upgrade the M11/M15 range to a higehr, suppported version of Android .. 8, 9 or 10 .... And that would involve paying additional licensing fees to Google ...

Feb 19, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #987 of 1,931
That’s what I’m asking about. M11 Pro and M15 don’t support MQA with Tidal yet, only local files via FiiO Music app. It needs to be enabled via firmware update and last I heard it was expected in March.

As far as I know that is actually not the case. The M11 Pro plays MQA files, and the master logo is displayed when playing an MQA track.. Otherwise it would display the hifi logo.. Same behaviour when connected in USB Dac mode to Tidal desktop. The master logo also lights up there..

Feb 19, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #988 of 1,931
As far as I know that is actually not the case. The M11 Pro plays MQA files, and the master logo is displayed when playing an MQA track.. Otherwise it would display the hifi logo.. Same behaviour when connected in USB Dac mode to Tidal desktop. The master logo also lights up there..
That's because the app does the first unfold. The M11 Pro or M15 is not doing the additional unfolds to full resolution until it's enabled by FiiO. It's stated specifically on FiiO's marketing material:

M11.jpg

Here's a post from FiiO confirming same. You are not getting full MQA in Tidal on M11 Pro right now, just the first software unfold in the app.

Capture.JPG

Feb 19, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #989 of 1,931
That's because the app does the first unfold. The M11 Pro or M15 is not doing the additional unfolds to full resolution until it's enabled by FiiO. It's stated specifically on FiiO's marketing material:

Here's a post from FiiO confirming same. You are not getting full MQA in Tidal on M11 Pro right now, just the first software unfold in the app.

Ok that explains why I had a distinct feeling that I was getting better quality from Qobuz streams and my own HD tracks than from Tidal .... In that case I will probably end up selling my M11 PRO and accelerate my decision to move to Astell & Kerns' SE100 rather than the M15. Positioning the M11 PRO and M15 as MQA capable devices technically is correct but in fact is a bit misleading

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back