[FiiO M11 Plus LTD/M11 Plus] THXAAA-78,Android 10, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output/4.4 LO output, Dual AK4497/ES9068AS DAC chips, 4GB RAM,64G Flash
Jun 30, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #391 of 2,974
Haven’t seen this before on the 11 Pro, seems the 11 Plus gets more heat... doesn’t look healthy... I guess i can’t leave it plugged in and listen to music
Could be while you're charging? That normally causes heat. Not ideal though. I was very close to pulling the trigger on one of these and now I'm not sure.
Yeah mines arriving next week, and I'm a little worried. I never charge while using it though, and I'd definitely only be using low gain with IEMs. At least while walking.

But I walk 2 hours a day in 30-37c weather lately. So I hope it'll be fine just playing back efficient IEMs.

Jun 30, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #394 of 2,974
Yeah mines arriving next week, and I'm a little worried. I never charge while using it though, and I'd definitely only be using low gain with IEMs. At least while walking.

But I walk 2 hours a day in 30-37c weather lately. So I hope it'll be fine just playing back efficient IEMs.
I use mine now with FD5 IEMs, low gain, volume setting 25-40 depending on a record - it just gets slightly warm, no issue

Jun 30, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #395 of 2,974
Mine gets only slightly warm when I see this message and it’s stops the music it’s really weird, it got much hotter another time to the touch when not on usb, but never showed this behavior... maybe some part inside is overheating or something in the os is a bug

Jun 30, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #396 of 2,974
Mine gets only slightly warm when I see this message and it’s stops the music it’s really weird, it got much hotter another time to the touch when not on usb, but never showed this behavior... maybe some part inside is overheating or something in the os is a bug
Just a thought, are the people with overheating issues using the device in the stock case? Because I don’t see that thing allowing for very much heat dissipation at all.

Jun 30, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #398 of 2,974
I’m currently finding my burned in m11 pro warmer and smoother sounding than the unburned m11 plus. I think I just need to hold off until I have a good 50-100 hours play on it first
Burn is such a myth especially with electronic components that don't move.

Jun 30, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #399 of 2,974
Just a thought, are the people with overheating issues using the device in the stock case? Because I don’t see that thing allowing for very much heat dissipation at all.
Yeah I use the case and it’s in a fast charge adapter that could well be the problem, although strange as the device itself doesn’t really get too hot to the touch

Jun 30, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #400 of 2,974
It's a tricky one really. I've had a funny relationship with the M11 Pro before and now this is similar - on one hand I get annoyed that it's flatter than Keira Knightley, but then coming from other more grainy source (ZX507 and especially N3Pro) I appreciate it's cleanliness and technicalities.

For practical travel purposes I find my ZX507 and IERM7 a more holistic pleasant experience overall - nice enough sound quality, global eq, streaming and gplay, very small and portable.
But then the M11 Plus is something different - it gives a very technical performance similar to a high quality desktop DAC, has the technicalities wow factor but also brings it's own can of worms as just being a bit too "technical" and not offering an organic flavour.. it might be just the AKM dacs - if I'm honest I've never been blown away by them in all the different sources I've tried... earlier versions are grainy, and newer ones seem to go for a Japanese/Chinese definition of HiFi that exaggerate certain audiophile traites: the bass is super tight and agile ( - too tight, needs a little bloom and natural decay warmth), mids are clean smooth but with a touch of echo to create that feel of distance (but as a result sound a little DSP'd and not exactly natural, they should be just as is ideally), and the highs are sparkly (- a little too sparkly creating that feeling of uber resolution, but in the process not allowing some darkness and natural dampening to come into play to create a sense of calmness).. that's just my view.. I do find that Sabre chips when implemented well can offer a more natural sound; Apogee Element being the best implementation I've heard to date (easily competing with Chord Qutest and in some ways more natural) - it's a sabre chip, i.e. very neutral, but somehow still offers feeling of inner warmth and calmness... the Fiio doesn't quite reach there.

Sony ZX507 is at least a Sony - they make an effort to make some cohesion and naturalness in their sound with their own s master chips, even if it doesn't measure amazingly well, and can appear less technically proficient, it can be a better fit for some.

I haven't heard the iBasso DX300 but reports that it sounds organic has me intrigued.
Yep. I have been looking into Android DAPs for months and they all have serious drawbacks.
I tried out the DX300 and found it…okay-ish? Somewhat mediocre for the price, competent but not a giant killer. Not organic for sure, artificial rather than pleasantly colored. If I’m being severe, I’d make the analogy to a bad actor trying to impersonate someone interesting, while I hear in the N3Pro a truly unique, sincere character.

Jun 30, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #401 of 2,974

There is - capacitors can become better/faster at charging discharging with use, amongst other things. Sony even officially recommends for their players 200 hours burn in. I for one am a skeptic in general, and agree some things benefit more from burn in than others, but the m11 pro definitely loosened up a little and become more easy going (thank the lord) after 100 hours mark. Sony zx2 and zx507 also improved a lot after 200 hours - beyond what i could attribute to a mind playing tricks

Jun 30, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #402 of 2,974
Capacitors and other electronic components stabilize with burn in.
The manufacturers themselves suggest burn in.
Don't they know?
For example Paul - iBasso strongly insisted that I should burn the Amp 12 at least 100 hours before I start critical listening of it.

Jun 30, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #403 of 2,974
Yep. I have been looking into Android DAPs for months and they all have serious drawbacks.
I tried out the DX300 and found it…okay-ish? Somewhat mediocre for the price, competent but not a giant killer. Not organic for sure, artificial rather than pleasantly colored. If I’m being severe, I’d make the analogy to a bad actor trying to impersonate someone interesting, while I hear in the N3Pro a truly unique, sincere character.

Interesting. I think to make a good sounding DAP is indeed very hard - the more I spend my heard earned money on Chinese DAPs the more I seem to think of the next door girl analogy... the next door girl is the Sony ZX507 (and some other Sony daps) - warm, loving, dependable and a wholesome character, not a lot of makeup but still attractive in her natural way. The Fiio DAPs are the high heeled bombastic dominatrix, exciting and rollercoaster ride but maybe not healthy for long term and definitely not for showing to the parents.. in the end I go back to the Sony as i prefer their more natural warmish old school take on what hifi should be.

Now for the n3 pro - I have it as well and I dislike it. I think it’s dac section is bad, rough/grainy. Also the tube sounds a bit low fi, and distorts a lot when pushed a bit even with iems. I know what good tubes can sound like, so it was easier to disappoint me. Overall I think the Sony zx507 is miles ahead, due to its slightly organic nature to me it sounds more what I’d like to get out of tubes vs the n3pro with its real tube!
I agree though it is unique, it just needs more know how, better components and better tube implementation (maybe even higher powered one)

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #404 of 2,974
Don't they know?
For example Paul - iBasso strongly insisted that I should burn the Amp 12 at least 100 hours before I start critical listening of it.

Don't they know?
Capacitors stabilize the first time you turn them on and any change that will happen do then. It's a myth. Your ears are lying to you. How about you show measurements of changes. There are plenty of measurements out there that dispute and show burn in is false but none that show it exists on dacs and solid state audio equipment that I have seen. Your hearing changes depending on your mood and emotion as well as your environment. It can not be trusted.

All these people saying it exists can't produce measurements.and if audible change happens it can be measured.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #405 of 2,974
Capacitors stabilize the first time you turn them on and any change that will happen do then. It's a myth. Your ears are lying to you. How about you show measurements of changes. There are plenty of measurements out there that dispute and show burn in is false but none that show it exists on dacs and solid state audio equipment that I have seen. Your hearing changes depending on your mood and emotion as well as your environment. It can not be trusted.

All these people saying it exists can't produce measurements.

I had a message when I turned on my zx507 first time - it’s said 100 hours or so play time required to get the best out of it as they use special Sony designed caps that need the burn in. I’m not going to be the one to challenge Sony on that especially as they build their own s master dac chips and caps, solder etc
Putting this aside there was an obvious difference in the sound before and after - very similar to jumping between a chord Qutest dac and a Sabre dongle one

Take care when looking at measurements especially from websites like ASR. They are very limited - they show tonality, and SNR /thd- this is not everything in how things sound. They don’t show spectral decay, attack, and other things.
How can a Sabre dongle measure almost as a good as a chord Qutest dac but sound a lot worse? Closed in, smeared/confused and mushy.. our ears and brain are very complex and sensitive organs much like our eyes, they can feel small variations and attributes that are difficult to measure

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back