[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Apr 24, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #813 of 9,287
Does the M11 have both android and music mode like the x5iii? Does it work to have Hiby as the strictly music mode app?
Not yet, as far as I can tell, but it seems FiiO may be implementing that in future firmware revisions. Not sure how it'll work with the exclusive music player, and if you can choose your own. I'd think not, if FiiO is tailoring the music-only experience to them. Still not sure why this is necessary; the M11 has so much horsepower that having one or two other apps running in the background while you're listening to music shouldn't affect performance at all. If all you want is to pretend the M11 has no other apps, maybe the M11 isn't the right choice? Just curious.

Apr 24, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #814 of 9,287
Does the M11 have both android and music mode like the x5iii? Does it work to have Hiby as the strictly music mode app?
There is no pure music mode on the M11.

Apr 24, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #816 of 9,287
Not yet, as far as I can tell, but it seems FiiO may be implementing that in future firmware revisions. Not sure how it'll work with the exclusive music player, and if you can choose your own. I'd think not, if FiiO is tailoring the music-only experience to them. Still not sure why this is necessary; the M11 has so much horsepower that having one or two other apps running in the background while you're listening to music shouldn't affect performance at all. If all you want is to pretend the M11 has no other apps, maybe the M11 isn't the right choice? Just curious.
I definitely want the capabilities of different apps, that's why I returned the x5iii as it wasn't powerful enough. So far, the M11 looks and sounds like exactly what I'm after.

Apr 24, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #817 of 9,287
The M11 was released on FiiO 2019 Spring Launch Event on March 16th, 2019, featuring the following:

A. Industrial Design: All linear design + Bezel-less design + 18 : 9丨720P touch screen + Double-sided glass design + High-tech carbon fiber texture + Three-dimensional textured golden wheel + Healing your allodoxaphobia + The beauty of the sand-blasted technology + Concealed micro SD card design

B. Hardware Configuration: Samsung Exynos 7872 six-core processor chip + 3GB RAM + Dual high-performance DAC chips AK4493 + Self-improved FPGA + True balance audio circuit architecture

C. Features: ALL TO DSD + Capable of decoding iSO tracks in DST codec + Two modes of quick charging--QC2.0+MTK PE + Compatible with PD2.0 charger + 13 hours continuous playback + 50 days deep sleep +Two-way Type-C interface + Asynchronous USB DAC + USB Audio output + SPDIF output + Two-way LDAC Bluetooth + Dual-band 2.4G/5G WiFi

D. Software and UI: Deeply Customized Open Android7.0 OS + Why Android? + Better user experience app + FiiO Link + HiFi wireless to your iPhone + WiFi file transfer + All-new dynamic EQ + Double-click to awake the screen + Touch screen gestures

E. Accessories: Provided with TPU clear case + Tempered glass screen protector

Suggested Retail Price in the USA: $449.99 / Market release date: Estimated by the end of May

Apr 24, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #818 of 9,287
M11 review

My review of the Fiio M11 portable DAP.

Just got this a few days ago. I am very happy overall with this. The sound is very good with all types of music. In general, I try to have only 320-bit MP3s and Flac audio files. I am using a pair of Shure 846 IEMs and Sennheiser hd650 over ear headphones with the M11.

Comparing this to the headphone output of the oppo UDP205 player. There is not much of difference between the devices. They both are great sounding and I cannot say that there is anything negative about either device. I am not really one to understand all the audiophile words describing sound quality. So I’m not going to try to use those words to describe the sound. I also have not heard many different headphones and DAPS, so this opinion is based on the experience of what I have had to date.

I have owned the Fiio X5 2nd gen, fiio X5 3rd gen, and this fiio M11. Really all of these devices have great sound, but what was added to each device was features, the x5 3rd gen added Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Sound wise it was not a leap ahead in sound quality you can read charts and measurements, but listening to my music from one device to the next was always a great experience with these products. However, I can’t say that I have heard huge Improvements in sound from one device to the next. They are great playback devices.

The m11 has a much faster response time with the music play back program, and extra battery life are what the x5 3rd gen should have had all along. The send and receive Bluetooth feature just adds to the flexibility of the player. I have yet to try the balance outputs yet because I do not want to spend extra money on headphone cables.

The size of the M11 is just right when holding it in your hand, but a bit big and a little too heavy for a jacket pocket. The side of your jacket with the M11 in will sag down bit. I really cannot see a solution to that. If you are setting the player on a nightstand or desk while playing music then the controls and various plugs are well located.

One disappointment was that the present firmware does not have the google play store installed. You need to find and download your own APK files and install the apk files using the “Es file explorer” app on the device. I am a fan of Iheartradio and that is how I installed the app. Having 2 micro sd card slots is definitely that way to go especially if you have a large music library.

Another feature I would like to see is a tube sound emulator to get that warm tube sound effect. That really makes acoustic music sounds come to life. The sound would be sublime with that combination. More modern and heavily processed recordings do not seem not pair as well with tube amps.

I am glad that I bought this, It is my go to player for late night listening or while at my desk working. It is well built and looks like you can get many years of use from this.

Apr 24, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #819 of 9,287
M11 review

Just got this a few days ago. I am very happy overall with this. The sound is very good with all types of music. In general, I try to have only 320-bit MP3s and Flac audio files. I am using a pair of Shure 846 IEMs and Sennheiser hd650 over ear headphones with the M11.

Comparing this to the headphone output of the oppo UDP205 player. There is not much of difference between the devices. They both are great sounding and I cannot say that there is anything negative about either device. I am not really one to understand all the audiophile words describing sound quality. So I’m not going to try to use those words to describe the sound. I also have not heard many different headphones and DAPS, so this opinion is based on the experience of what I have had to date.

I have owned the Fiio X5 2nd gen, fiio X5 3rd gen, and this fiio M11. Really all of these devices have great sound, but what was added to each device was features, the x5 3rd gen added Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Sound wise it was not a leap ahead in sound quality you can read charts and measurements, but listening to my music from one device to the next was always a great experience with these products. However, I can’t say that I have heard huge Improvements in sound from one device to the next. They are great playback devices.

The m11 has a much faster response time with the music play back program, and extra battery life are what the x5 3rd gen should have had all along. The send and receive Bluetooth feature just adds to the flexibility of the player. I have yet to try the balance outputs yet because I do not want to spend extra money on headphone cables.

The size of the M11 is just right when holding it in your hand, but a bit big and a little too heavy for a jacket pocket. The side of your jacket with the M11 in will sag down bit. I really cannot see a solution to that. If you are setting the player on a nightstand or desk while playing music then the controls and various plugs are well located.

One disappointment was that the present firmware does not have the google play store installed. You need to find and download your own APK files and install the apk files using the “Es file explorer” app on the device. I am a fan of Iheartradio and that is how I installed the app. Having 2 micro sd card slots is definitely that way to go especially if you have a large music library.

Another feature I would like to see is a tube sound emulator to get that warm tube sound effect. That really makes acoustic music sounds come to life. The sound would be sublime with that combination. More modern and heavily processed recordings do not seem not pair as well with tube amps.

I am glad that I bought this, It is my go to player for late night listening or while at my desk working. It is well built and looks like you can get many years of use from this.
Thanks for sharing experience. In your case i definitely would get balanced cable (allie is one of the places where you can find even cheap) and use it with your m11. From my experience fiio usually makes their daps with better balanced output. Dont know why it is so but m11 i think also should sound even better from balanced. So this will not cost much and it's worth the try - you should like m11 even more.

Apr 24, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #820 of 9,287
M11 review

Google play is not an issue with the current firmware. The choice of Android 7 (forced by the specific Samsung chip) is the issue. Google no longer will allow Google Play Store to be installed on anything pre Android 8. So apk's will be the way to go with this player.

Apr 24, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #821 of 9,287
Google play is not an issue with the current firmware. The choice of Android 7 (forced by the specific Samsung chip) is the issue. Google no longer will allow Google Play Store to be installed on anything pre Android 8. So apk's will be the way to go with this player.
So that I understand this, because of the hardware, direct google play store is not and will never be available. Only way to do this is to install using APKs?
I have no clue how to do this... Any guides out there?

Thanks!

Apr 24, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #822 of 9,287
So that I understand this, because of the hardware, direct google play store is not and will never be available. Only way to do this is to install using APKs?
I have no clue how to do this... Any guides out there?

Thanks!

www.apkmirror.com is a good source. Search for the app you are looking for, download it and install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back