[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Jul 30, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #8,296 of 9,270
There we go, thanks!

Ok so with this on AND in hi-fi mode - I can now see 2L stuff does show MQA at the 352.8k! Alas no luck with anything else I've tried. Gone through the whole new Taylor Swift album and all displaying 44.1k. I've also tried in Masters mode and it just shows 88.2k, no MQA logo.

So, with just the Hi-Fi setting activated, Taylor Swift's new one is really only displaying 44.1kHz without the MQA icon next to it at the top? And you're definitely playing the Master version with the M icon next to the album and every track and not another version if there is one?

On a whim, I just selected and started scanning through this playlist of relatively new tracks this morning and was getting really thrilled that maybe all was sorted out as one track after another of those marked as Master was displaying the MQA logo at the top:
https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/edf3b7d2-cb42-41d7-93c0-afa2a395521b

Granted the indicator is just alongside 44.1kHz for the most part (they just don't seem to be working at higher resolutions with new material). Interestingly, some tracks took a couple more seconds to light up the indicator than others that were more immediate. Whoever Pop Smoke is, their tracks are even indicating 176.4kHz. The tracks of a recent young artist who passed too soon, Juice WRLD, was at 88.2kHz. Took a bit but I finally came upon a Master track that didn't light up at the top in addition to just a few others in that playlist.

Ultimately, I saw that most catalog titles are still not triggering the MQA indicator. The exceptions are just so odd, like one (or just a couple more) R.E.M. albums that light up the MQA indicator when others still don't.

I might have to examine the meta data via UAPP to see if there's something obvious about those that work and those that don't but I suspect there might not be much more work to having them all light up the indicator. If they are indeed the full unfolds, I guess we'll still have to figure that one out!

Jul 30, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #8,297 of 9,270
Our Toyota came with a 5 year warranty, some cars have 7 year warranty. My TV came with a free 5 year warranty. John Lewis offer 2 years warranty on a lot of stuff, including iPod Touch.

My air rifle came with a lifetime warranty.

Westone give a two year warranty on their IEMs and RHA give a three year warranty.

One year is the absolute minimum a manufacture offers these days, and I know Fiio isn’t alone in doing it, but it’s not long enough in my opinion. My Fiio M6 has lines on the screen, and is outside the one year period. I’m not happy about it, but at least it ‘only’ cost me about £130.

£400 is a different matter. The M11 is a considerably more of a ‘premium’ product. I believe even the M15 comes with the same 1 year warranty?

Perhaps it’s because we tend to change our DAPs more than we might with other products, and the manufacturers know full well we would just upgrade if they fail outside the warranty period.

I think for the money paid, this sort of kit should have a better warranty. One year might possibly be acceptable if the item is less than £200, but for £400, I think 2-3 years is more appropriate.
Sorry, I thought it was obvious I was talking about DAPs, not cars and air rifles. What I meant was what DAPs come with a warranty of more than a year? I can't remember the last time I bought any device with a warranty of longer than a year. I'm not saying it's good or right, I'm just not aware of any manufacturers that are offering better terms

The batteries are what make it difficult, I think. As they start to seriously degrade after a few hundred charging cycles, a longer warranty would cause problems. What we need are devices with easily replaceable batteries. I know it's not rocket science to replace a Lithium battery but they could make it much easier by using batteries that can be removed simply, as with cameras etc.

Jul 30, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #8,298 of 9,270
So, with just the Hi-Fi setting activated, Taylor Swift's new one is really only displaying 44.1kHz without the MQA icon next to it at the top? And you're definitely playing the Master version with the M icon next to the album and every track and not another version if there is one?

On a whim, I just selected and started scanning through this playlist of relatively new tracks this morning and was getting really thrilled that maybe all was sorted out as one track after another of those marked as Master was displaying the MQA logo at the top:
https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/edf3b7d2-cb42-41d7-93c0-afa2a395521b

Granted the indicator is just alongside 44.1kHz for the most part (they just don't seem to be working at higher resolutions with new material). Interestingly, some tracks took a couple more seconds to light up the indicator than others that were more immediate. Whoever Pop Smoke is, their tracks are even indicating 176.4kHz. The tracks of a recent young artist who passed too soon, Juice WRLD, was at 88.2kHz. Took a bit but I finally came upon a Master track that didn't light up at the top in addition to just a few others in that playlist.

Ultimately, I saw that most catalog titles are still not triggering the MQA indicator. The exceptions are just so odd, like one (or just a couple more) R.E.M. albums that light up the MQA indicator when others still don't.

I might have to examine the meta data via UAPP to see if there's something obvious about those that work and those that don't but I suspect there might not be much more work to having them all light up the indicator. If they are indeed the full unfolds, I guess we'll still have to figure that one out!

On the Taylor Swift question - that is correct, no MQA logo while in Hi-Fi setting.

Seems random from tidal how MQA is triggered. I don't have UAPP, so keep us informed! I'll go through that playlist as well and see if the mqa logo pops up.

But you're right, most seem 44.1k, not much even at 88.2k let alone higher. Best to just stick with 'hi-fi' quality anyway then!!!

Jul 30, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #8,299 of 9,270
Sorry, I thought it was obvious I was talking about DAPs, not cars and air rifles. What I meant was what DAPs come with a warranty of more than a year? I can't remember the last time I bought any device with a warranty of longer than a year. I'm not saying it's good or right, I'm just not aware of any manufacturers that are offering better terms

The batteries are what make it difficult, I think. As they start to seriously degrade after a few hundred charging cycles, a longer warranty would cause problems. What we need are devices with easily replaceable batteries. I know it's not rocket science to replace a Lithium battery but they could make it much easier by using batteries that can be removed simply, as with cameras etc.
I know the batteries have a finite life, and a lot of it depends on how they are used. The meagre 12 month warranties aren''t even for the batteries though, they are usually only guaranteed for 6 months. I know DAPs are different to cars and air rifles, but they can be compared to mobile phones, which also usually only have six months guarantee on the battery.

The difference with most phones though is that they usually come with a two year warranty, certainly at least in the UK anyway. If the Fiio M11 had a warranty of 2 years or more, I would seriously consider buying one, and and would definitely top my shortlist above other DAPs with a 12 month warranty.

Jul 30, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #8,300 of 9,270
I know the batteries have a finite life, and a lot of it depends on how they are used. The meagre 12 month warranties aren''t even for the batteries though, they are usually only guaranteed for 6 months. I know DAPs are different to cars and air rifles, but they can be compared to mobile phones, which also usually only have six months guarantee on the battery.

The difference with most phones though is that they usually come with a two year warranty, certainly at least in the UK anyway. If the Fiio M11 had a warranty of 2 years or more, I would seriously consider buying one, and and would definitely top my shortlist above other DAPs with a 12 month warranty.
Maybe Fiio or another company should try it and see if the increased sales offset the increased costs of repairs under warranty. Could be a great USP in today’s throwaway world.

Jul 30, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #8,302 of 9,270
On the Taylor Swift question - that is correct, no MQA logo while in Hi-Fi setting.

Seems random from tidal how MQA is triggered. I don't have UAPP, so keep us informed! I'll go through that playlist as well and see if the mqa logo pops up.

But you're right, most seem 44.1k, not much even at 88.2k let alone higher. Best to just stick with 'hi-fi' quality anyway then!!!

So, I seemed to have sorted this out. A little annoyed that this didn't stand out to begin with.

Right now, the MQA indicator only seems to appear at the top of the screen on the Tidal app on Android when the folded files are 44.1kHz (whether they unfold at 44.1kHz, 88.2k, 176.4k or 352.8k). Files originally folded at 48k haven't yet lit up the indicator as far as I've seen. Here are screenshots of the metadata of some tracks - the first three seemed to unfold in the Tidal app (or at least light up the indicator). The last two screenshots of tracks didn't unfold in the Tidal app and they're 48k folded files.

Screenshot_20200730-194746.pngScreenshot_20200730-194950.pngScreenshot_20200730-195352.png
Screenshot_20200730-194911.pngScreenshot_20200730-195623.png

I did also notice that some tracks that unfold at 88.2kHz and are also folded at 44.1kHz aren't triggering the indicator within the Tidal app as well. Not sure what's up with those.

Jul 31, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #8,303 of 9,270
Thanks for the detective work! It doesn't explain why you and I cannot get the same triggering, but we're at least making progress.....

Aug 1, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #8,304 of 9,270
Hi,

Has anyone noticed a change for the worse in gapless playback with version 1.2.2 of FiiO Music? There are very noticeable bumps in between album tracks...DSF and hi-res FLAC files seems to be the ones that are having the problem. I haven't tested with standard FLAC.

...is there a way to uninstall the current version of the app and roll back to a previous version?

@FiiO

Aug 2, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #8,305 of 9,270
Hi,

Has anyone noticed a change for the worse in gapless playback with version 1.2.2 of FiiO Music? There are very noticeable bumps in between album tracks...DSF and hi-res FLAC files seems to be the ones that are having the problem. I haven't tested with standard FLAC.

...is there a way to uninstall the current version of the app and roll back to a previous version?

@FiiO

...this seems to be directly related to Replay Gain being on - when it is turned off, gapless playback is seamless.

Can anyone verify that they are having the same issue?

Aug 3, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #8,308 of 9,270
1596448802401.png

The changes and improvements about new firmware for M11PRO/M11 are as follows:

1. Added global MQA support, and improved the MQA playback;
Note: When scanning for tracks, the app will detect whether the tracks are MQA or not, which may slow down the scanning speed if you have MQA tracks in your library.
2. Added displaying sample rates on the status bar (you can enable it in Settings -> Display -> Display sample rates);
2.1 This function is only available when playing music locally, and it does not work for the USB DAC, Bluetooth, USB Audio modes;
2.2 When playing MQA tracks, the status bar will display the original sample rates of the MQA track instead of the playing sample rates after fully unfolding, as requested by the MQA licensor.
3. Added 'enter sleep with one click' function (you can find the 'enter sleep' icon on the home page and tap on it to have the player enter sleep mode);
Note that when this function is performed, the player will also close the apps running in the background and turn off the screen to enter sleep mode. After that it can only be woken up by pressing the physical button;
4. Added support for screen rotation (can be set in the pull-down menu or in Settings -> General. The screen will rotate upside down when this option is enabled);
5. Added Eye Care Mode (can be set in the pull-down menu or in Settings -> Display);
6. Added battery level and volume level display for USB DAC, AirPlay and Bluetooth receiving modes;
7. Added quick-charge indication and charging animation (displayed in the lockscreen when connected to charger);
8. Added a new function of hiding the un-scanned or empty folders in Folder view menu (can be set in FiiO Music -> Settings -> Scan for music. When enabled, only the titles of the scanned tracks will be displayed in Folder view menu);
9. Added 'File size limit for album art' function (can be set in FiiO Music -> Settings. And after selecting a limit, the album art image whose file size exceeds this limit will not be displayed);
10. Added album art display in Folder view menu;
11. Fixed the issue where the input keyboard would be changed to the default keyboard after waking up the player with one click;
12. Fixed the issue where the DSD tracks could not be played in DLNA mode;
13. Fixed the issue where the Google account data could not be backuped;
14. Improved the Channel balance adjustment and increased the adjustment levels to 20 levels;
15. Miscellaneous improvements on performances.

M11 firmware FW1.1.0: Click here

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back