[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Jun 16, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #8,161 of 9,286
I migrated from an M9 and can say that there is a huge difference in usability. If you are using balanced there is a audible improvement but the major advantage is in the much faster and stable WiFi and the ability to use the Google Play Store for great apps like UAPP. The overall responsiveness is also signicantly improved. Unless you are looking at a smartphone with a great DAC sure as the V30, the M11 is well worth the $150 difference from the M9. It’s only disadvantage is size but you get a bigger screen and better battery life in exchange.

I agree.
I just bought in addition a HiBy Pro 6 because of constant Qobuz problems via Coax. Anyway, the HiBy R6 Pro is even faster than the FiiO M11 but screen is smaller and battery drain is unfortunately very quick.

Jun 16, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #8,162 of 9,286
Has anyone Tried Plexamp? Not sure whether you need a Plex Pass or not but it's in the Play Store. Allows streaming of all tracks (including hires) from your server and seems to play them in Original resolution. To my ears sounds great and being audio only is a better interface then the full Plex app.

Question I have is how to tell if my 24-192 flac files are actually played at that res? The app claims they are and I can't see any transcoding going on server side. So are they using the hardware on the fiio or would it be done in software? As I said - to me it sounds good but I'd still like to know

Thanks

-Mat
I have a plex pass, so I've used it on my phone, but no M11 to try it on. I like it, but it needs some work for me to choose it over the main app yet. At least for my needs. I don't believe there is any transcoding on either the main plex app or the plexamp, as long as you have settings correct.

Plex is a perfect sidecar since I can only fit about 450gb's on my DAP, I can put my full library on plex and still access it that way when I want.
I migrated from an M9 and can say that there is a huge difference in usability. If you are using balanced there is a audible improvement but the major advantage is in the much faster and stable WiFi and the ability to use the Google Play Store for great apps like UAPP. The overall responsiveness is also signicantly improved. Unless you are looking at a smartphone with a great DAC sure as the V30, the M11 is well worth the $150 difference from the M9. It’s only disadvantage is size but you get a bigger screen and better battery life in exchange.
Thanks for the feedback. Your experience seems to mirror many others... the M11 is a substantial improvement over the M9, as should be expected. Unfortunately, I didn't realize the place I bought it from included shipping times in their 14 day return policy, so by the time I inquired, they said it was too late. I would have been all over that.

Agreed that a smartphone isn't going to be ideal, but I'm sort of due anyways and it can be easily financed. The M11 would have to be out of pocket after being burned already, tough call. Maybe I'll fence sit a little longer lol.

Jun 16, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #8,163 of 9,286
I have an album that had bad album artists tags, so it was sorted as various artists in both Fiio Music and Poweramp. I deleted it from the M11, retagged it on my media server and re-added it. Rescanned the files (using both apps). Poweramp has now sorted it correctly, but Fiio Music has not. You can read the tag info in Poweramp and it is now correct.

What is wrong with Fiio Music? After the scanning it gives me a message that no new tracks have been added to the library, so I guess it it doesn't look hard enough to see the changed tags.

I expect the solution is to delete the files, rescan, re-add them and rescan again. But I shouldn't have to.
Dear user,

Thanks for your feedback. We will try to report to the engineer for checking about that.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 17, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #8,164 of 9,286
I agree.
I just bought in addition a HiBy Pro 6 because of constant Qobuz problems via Coax. Anyway, the HiBy R6 Pro is even faster than the FiiO M11 but screen is smaller and battery drain is unfortunately very quick.
I did look at the HiBy R6 Pro, but at over $200 more than the cost of an M11, it should be faster, but quite frankly the M11 is fast enough. I also love the AirPlay support, dual cards as well as built-in support for both 2.5mm and 4.4mm balanced outputs all of which the HiBy doesn't offer.

Jun 17, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #8,165 of 9,286
I own both M11 and Hiby R6 pro .. I use mainly the M11 for the 2x1Tb storage, but R6pro is more stable, the M11 is rebooting alone quite frequently without any reason (I use Neutron/Bubbleupnp ou USB player pro).

I am waiting for a new Fiio dock (with 2 USB-C) but it's so stupid to put on the M11 on the same side of the body the USB connector and the headphones connectors, we can't use a basic USB dock to charge the M11 while listening :disappointed:.
H6Pro has also some EQ type usable even when USB DAC is active, it's not possible with M11.

Jun 17, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #8,166 of 9,286
I did look at the HiBy R6 Pro, but at over $200 more than the cost of an M11, it should be faster, but quite frankly the M11 is fast enough. I also love the AirPlay support, dual cards as well as built-in support for both 2.5mm and 4.4mm balanced outputs all of which the HiBy doesn't offer.
you are mistaken they have the same price, but the different nature of the sound, you need to choose what you like more

Jun 17, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #8,167 of 9,286
you are mistaken they have the same price, but the different nature of the sound, you need to choose what you like more
I paid $399 for the M11. You may be thinking about the M11 Pro which retails for the same as the R6 Pro which is the model that was being compared as faster than the M11. The plain R6 is still more expensive than the M11 at $499. I do agree that they likely sound different but I have no complaints with the M11 sound and am using them quite effectively with my Rai Penta‘s as the extra drive out of the balanced output really makes them sing.

Jun 17, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #8,168 of 9,286
I own both M11 and Hiby R6 pro .. I use mainly the M11 for the 2x1Tb storage, but R6pro is more stable, the M11 is rebooting alone quite frequently without any reason (I use Neutron/Bubbleupnp ou USB player pro).

I am waiting for a new Fiio dock (with 2 USB-C) but it's so stupid to put on the M11 on the same side of the body the USB connector and the headphones connectors, we can't use a basic USB dock to charge the M11 while listening :disappointed:.
H6Pro has also some EQ type usable even when USB DAC is active, it's not possible with M11.
While I agree that I would prefer the jacks on the top, my M11 has never rebooted itself during the month I’ve had it. I use Roon and UAPP predominantly so We share one app. I’m also using the new beta firmware for the last 10 days.

Jun 19, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #8,170 of 9,286
Anyone know why I'm able to change the volume on the actual M11 while it's connected via AUX? Seems weird as the volume can be controlled from the unit it's connected to.
You can change that by setting it to LO instead of PO in the pulldown menu. Fixes the output volume. Just don't forget to switch it back before putting in headphones

Jun 20, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #8,172 of 9,286
If im going to be primarily using the 64 audio A18s with LID - ("Low Impedance" technology) should I expect any hiss with the M11?

Also, anyone have an opinion on whether I should consider the M11 Pro or M15 if only using custom iems?
I'm using the Meze Rai Penta which are 20ohm and 110db sensitivity compared to the A18s at 8ohm and 106db and I hear absolutely no hiss from the balanced outputs of my M11. I would not expect you to hear any noise. I am not sure how using only custom IEMs factor into the different DAP choices. If you are paying $3K for your IEMs you may feel a higher price DAP is justified; however, my rule is that if the component has the performance to keep you listening and enjoying then why spend more? I find that the case with my combination. YMMV.

Jun 20, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #8,173 of 9,286
If im going to be primarily using the 64 audio A18s with LID - ("Low Impedance" technology) should I expect any hiss with the M11?

Also, anyone have an opinion on whether I should consider the M11 Pro or M15 if only using custom iems?

Totally up to you! I don’t think the custom factor will determine if you should climb the ladder. I think it depends on the sound signature you’re looking for from your source and then if you feel like you will upgrade soon after. My thing has been going for something, knowing I wanted something at a different level, but thinking I’d be okay with thepurchase. And I’ve learned for me personally, if I can afford what I want, get what I want rather than settling. That “what if” will burn a hole in your brain and pocket.

Jun 26, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #8,174 of 9,286
@FiiO Listening with Qobuz to files imported to SD card, playing them through different DACs via Coax, very often my M11 stops in mid track for 1 second. The problem is independent from the Qobuz version I use (currently I am in the beta program of Qobuz) and Wifi being used or not. The problem does not occur (or that often) when listening via Bluetooth or cable.
In the moment the playback stops one can see that the Qobuz player stays at the same time mark.
Having these problems I bought myself a HiBy R6 Pro to test if the same problems would occur. The HiBy R6 Pro never stops playbacks for a second mid track. The current situation makes the FiiO M11 unusable for me, as the use of Qobuz and an external DAC is important for me.
As the M11 and the HiBy Pro 6 run on the same Qobuz version it is clear that this is a M11 problem. Hoping for you support.

Jun 26, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #8,175 of 9,286
Just want to make sure I understand something correctly. If I connect the M11 to a receiver such as one in a car or home audio system via:

1 - AUX/Line Out - this will use the M11's DAC.

2 - Optical/SPDIF - this will use the Receiver's DAC.

3 - Bluetooth or WiFi - this will use the Receiver's DAC and it would receive a lossy signal.

Does that all sound correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back