[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Jan 7, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #7,426 of 9,287
I received the M11 yesterday afternoon and so far it's great, but I have 2 gripes: the high frequencies seem a bit too elevated (maybe it's the gain that I'm using?), and I tried to connect to my WiFi network at home and it stated that there is an Authentication Problem ... has anyone experienced this so far? Any advice on what to do about it?

Jan 7, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #7,427 of 9,287
I received the M11 yesterday afternoon and so far it's great, but I have 2 gripes: the high frequencies seem a bit too elevated (maybe it's the gain that I'm using?), and I tried to connect to my WiFi network at home and it stated that there is an Authentication Problem ... has anyone experienced this so far? Any advice on what to do about it?
What router and/or security protocols is your router using? I haven't heard of anybody else with basic router wifi connectivity problems. I enter my password and off it goes. Is it possible you're just too far from the router, that maybe the M11 can't quite pick up a reliable signal?

[Revised after seeing your gear outline on prior post]. No idea about the frequencies. Only thing I can suggest is that maybe you're hearng things now you just couldn't before, but that's a wild stab in the dark. Usual EQ and other things apply. I do wonder a bit if the 300 Ohm impedance of your 800s is perhaps giving you a thin sound on playback, but I'm under the impression other people are happy with their Senns on the M11. It doesn't drive my AKG's well enough for my taste though.

I tend to favor reference headphones, and the M11 + good source material definitely reflects the recording "as is". If the bass was lacking in the recording, it will be lacking in the playback. What material were you listening to that had the problem?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #7,428 of 9,287

The player is a little on the bright side. When balanced at least three of my balanced iems and headphones all sound less bright in the high frequencies. The m11 pro(while I had it) was a little better in the low end was was a tad less bright but not by much. To me it wasn't worth trying to sell my m11 or eat the cost of a new m11 pro.

Jan 7, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #7,429 of 9,287
The player is a little on the bright side. When balanced at least three of my balanced iems and headphones all sound less bright in the high frequencies. The m11 pro(while I had it) was a little better in the low end was was a tad less bright but not by much. To me it wasn't worth trying to sell my m11 or eat the cost of a new m11 pro.

I'd like to try the 4.4mm or 2.5mm balanced... would you have a link or know where I can find an adapter that would connect to a 3.5mm jack for either 4.4mm or 2.5mm? I too do not want to sell this player. The UI is really responsive and load times are minimal.

Jan 7, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #7,430 of 9,287
I'd like to try the 4.4mm or 2.5mm balanced... would you have a link or know where I can find an adapter that would connect to a 3.5mm jack for either 4.4mm or 2.5mm? I too do not want to sell this player. The UI is really responsive and load times are minimal.
Is this what you're looking for? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KSSD5HK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Got two pair of headphones with balanced cables with 4.4mm plugs, I'm using that adapter to plug into my laptop or other devices using 3.5mm.

Jan 7, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #7,431 of 9,287
It's not poss to drive single ended HP's or IEM's from the 2.5mm or 4.4mm balanced outputs, which is what I think you're seeking to do? The only way to "try the 4.4mm or 2.5mm balanced..." as you mention it, is by using dedicated balanced cables with your IEM's or HP's. I just received a set for my FH7's from here...great buy!

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07FZWNRWK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jan 7, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #7,432 of 9,287

Are you using Hifiman balanced 3.5mm headphones? That's the only scenario which would work with an adapter such as you mention.

Jan 7, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #7,433 of 9,287
Thanks for all of the help guys. It looks like I'd need to purchase an independent cable.

Has anyone compared the FiiO M11 to the Astell and Kern Kann?

Jan 7, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #7,434 of 9,287
Thanks for all of the help guys. It looks like I'd need to purchase an independent cable.

Has anyone compared the FiiO M11 to the Astell and Kern Kann?

did you mean first Kann or Kann Cube ?

If first Kann can share some thought
Just got M11 last week and have the exact combo mentioned, was using Kann for half year, and I got E5000 too.
on E5000 bal out, M11 feel smoother and more bass, seems better layering on bass, not sure of the bass, M11 feel deeper soundstage
Detail seems on par, and M11 feel better combo with DD earphone, got a 4BA in-ear feel better on Kann, may be a bit brighter more stimulating?

M11 surprise me on full size HP, tested the M11 + HD800S in shop
even just on 3.5 PO still get full and layered sound out of symphony track, didn't AB with desktop rig, but feel good enough for its price tag
M11 sounds great on string instrument IMO.

P.S. like the M11 over PRO and PRO SS .. mids of PRO feel a bit not as clear and layered .. PRO SS on a brighter tuning

Jan 8, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #7,436 of 9,287
did you mean first Kann or Kann Cube ?

If first Kann can share some thought
Just got M11 last week and have the exact combo mentioned, was using Kann for half year, and I got E5000 too.
on E5000 bal out, M11 feel smoother and more bass, seems better layering on bass, not sure of the bass, M11 feel deeper soundstage
Detail seems on par, and M11 feel better combo with DD earphone, got a 4BA in-ear feel better on Kann, may be a bit brighter more stimulating?

M11 surprise me on full size HP, tested the M11 + HD800S in shop
even just on 3.5 PO still get full and layered sound out of symphony track, didn't AB with desktop rig, but feel good enough for its price tag
M11 sounds great on string instrument IMO.

P.S. like the M11 over PRO and PRO SS .. mids of PRO feel a bit not as clear and layered .. PRO SS on a brighter tuning

Thank you for your input. I meant the first Kann.
It seems like a balanced connection is the way to go with the M11. In standard it seems to lack bass body and impact, so that's why I pair it with the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label which adds warmth and body.
I'm going to try the balanced connection tonight with my HD 800S and share some thoughts. I was hoping to just use a stand-alone DAP for my full-sized headphones.

Jan 8, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #7,437 of 9,287
I am really liking My M11, and have been using it as a stand alone player, Bluetooth to my home audio systems, line out in my car, and as a USB transport to a schiit modi dac and asgaurd amp. I have been searching for awhile now, but still have a few questions about using it as a Usb transport.
  1. In the Fiio app settings under USB output, do these settings only apply to playing DSD files which i dont have any of ?
  2. I am curious why the volume control on the M11 still works when using it as USB transport out to external DAC. I thought this would bypass the amp section on the fiio like it has with previous fiio and other players I have used. So I am wondering what is the difference now with the M11 and say the fiio x5lll , which losses Dap volume control when used as a USB transport ?

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #7,438 of 9,287
I just purchased a brand new Fiio M11 in France and when I got it today, I couldn't help but notice a strange screen artifact on my unit. The screen has a rectangular oblong zone where it's a bit brighter on the inside than it's on the outside.
Here's a picture showing this problem
20200108_204552.jpg
@FiiO @WianFiiO is this a screen defect? You can see the rectangle in the white and grey area that is noticeably brighter and has a definite shape that makes it very apparent in a grey background
It's a bit surprising that this particular screen passed QC while the unit looks and feels solidly built.
I've emailed FiiO support and the retailer in France where I bought it. Hopefully I can get a replacement unit with a good screen

Jan 8, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #7,440 of 9,287

Users who are viewing this thread

Back