[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
May 14, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #1,173 of 9,270
I might be using the fiio app by default when it comes. Then try some other free music app available. Currently, I am only using spotify to stream music and seeing that spotify works well gives me relief.

May 14, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #1,174 of 9,270
Poweramp doesn't do any kind of bitperfect output. It either samples everything to 16bits@44.1kHz using the default android stack, or in "Hi-Res" mode, upsamples everything to 24bits@512kHz. Inherently, this means it sucks as far as sound quality is concerned and should be avoided altogether. A shame considering the interface is great.

I much rather use usbapp or neutron to get a proper quality output.

But does usb audio app work when it's not possible to buy outside playstore? Does it work fine if you buy it on playstore, back up the apk and transfer that to the M11?

May 14, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #1,175 of 9,270
But does usb audio app work when it's not possible to buy outside playstore? Does it work fine if you buy it on playstore, back up the apk and transfer that to the M11?
From what I read here, I think there is still no work around if you buy the unlocker from google playstore. No way for you to sideload that paid version up to m11. Or I might have missed it along the threads.

May 14, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #1,176 of 9,270
Sorry for asking again but has anyone bought the full version of Neutron player when no google play store/play services are available on device? The Neutron website states: "The e-mail account which is used for the purchase must be valid and registered in the Accounts section of the settings of your Android device as IMAP/POP3 or Google account." As far as I'm aware it's not possible to add such an account on the Fiio M11, will it then be impossible to get full/paid version of this app working on the device? Again, sorry if this is a stupid question.

May 14, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #1,177 of 9,270
Poweramp doesn't do any kind of bitperfect output. It either samples everything to 16bits@44.1kHz using the default android stack, or in "Hi-Res" mode, upsamples everything to 24bits@512kHz. Inherently, this means it sucks as far as sound quality is concerned and should be avoided altogether. A shame considering the interface is great.

I much rather use usbapp or neutron to get a proper quality output.
Hmm, I didn't realise this. Luckily most of my stuff is redbook Flac so that's not an issue, but I'd be losing on some high-res quality I guess. Must compare high-res stuff with FiiO Music to see if I can hear a difference. I wonder if the Tidal/Plex apps also output bitperfect data, or are also limited by Android. Does anyone know if Rocket Player supports bitperfect output? I'll be keeping Poweramp anyway because the interface is so far advanced of anything else out there.

May 14, 2019 at 5:57 AM Post #1,178 of 9,270
Sorry for asking again but has anyone bought the full version of Neutron player when no google play store/play services are available on device? The Neutron website states: "The e-mail account which is used for the purchase must be valid and registered in the Accounts section of the settings of your Android device as IMAP/POP3 or Google account." As far as I'm aware it's not possible to add such an account on the Fiio M11, will it then be impossible to get full/paid version of this app working on the device? Again, sorry if this is a stupid question.

I have extracted the apk of my paid version of Neutron and sideloaded it to my M11 and it worked fine. It did ask for internet connection to verify the license and did not have any problem (so far...)

May 14, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #1,179 of 9,270
Hmm, I didn't realise this. Luckily most of my stuff is redbook Flac so that's not an issue, but I'd be losing on some high-res quality I guess. Must compare high-res stuff with FiiO Music to see if I can hear a difference. I wonder if the Tidal/Plex apps also output bitperfect data, or are also limited by Android. Does anyone know if Rocket Player supports bitperfect output? I'll be keeping Poweramp anyway because the interface is so far advanced of anything else out there.
Further to this I’ve downloaded Neutron and busy playing around with settings and testing various high-res tracks. Either Neutron is also limited by Android (on the M11) or I’m simply unable to tell the difference between what I’m listening to between this and Poweramp, at least not in terms of detail, resolution or stage. Very possibly some differences will show up with higher-end IEMs, but to be honest, since I generally listen on the mobile rig for enjoyment and not critical listening (and won’t be spending $1000+ on IEMs anytime soon) I think Poweramp is shoulder to shoulder with FiiO and Neutron and Rocket in terms of SQ (to my ears and on my setup: M11 + FH5) and blows them all away in terms of UI, usability and tweakability.

May 14, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #1,180 of 9,270
Further to this I’ve downloaded Neutron and busy playing around with settings and testing various high-res tracks. Either Neutron is also limited by Android (on the M11) or I’m simply unable to tell the difference between what I’m listening to between this and Poweramp, at least not in terms of detail, resolution or stage. Very possibly some differences will show up with higher-end IEMs, but to be honest, since I generally listen on the mobile rig for enjoyment and not critical listening (and won’t be spending $1000+ on IEMs anytime soon) I think Poweramp is shoulder to shoulder with FiiO and Neutron and Rocket in terms of SQ (to my ears and on my setup: M11 + FH5) and blows them all away in terms of UI, usability and tweakability.

I think with the FH5 you should be able to tell the difference? I can tell the difference with a pair of KZ AS10 in a cellphone / computer. Maybe Poweramp actually "works"? Will try to check it out trough the week.

@Mathieulh is the resampling confirmed!? Out of the box, ie, it's not an optional thing? Sounds like a shot in the foot for a company focused in audio audio playing.

May 14, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #1,181 of 9,270
I think with the FH5 you should be able to tell the difference? I can tell the difference with a pair of KZ AS10 in a cellphone / computer. Maybe Poweramp actually "works"? Will try to check it out trough the week.

@Mathieulh is the resampling confirmed!? Out of the box, ie, it's not an optional thing? Sounds like a shot in the foot for a company focused in audio audio playing.
I should, you’re right. Maybe the differences between 16/44 and 24/44 or 24/88 or 24/96 are just not so vast as to be noticeable? Will be keen to get your feedback on this when you try Poweramp for yourself. If anyone can pour out actual tracks and timing in those tracks where high-res quality difference is obvious between Poweramp and FiiO Music, please share.

May 14, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #1,183 of 9,270
Hi guys! Quick question: while M11 doesn't support MQA, what will we actually hear listening to Tidal's Master tracks (which should be 24/96)? Will it be regular 16/44 or something else?
To be honest I can’t tell the difference between Tidal Master and Hi-Fi wither in the M11 or my desktop rig. I do know that Tidal sounds much better offline (or from the Tidal store) than streamed, although the difference there is more noticeable on the HD800 desktop rig than on the M11 with IEMs.

May 14, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #1,184 of 9,270

@hldn it is, it's especially visible on my Hiby R6 Pro, where the DTA is made so all the audio sampling is visible in real time in the task bar, poweramp always resamples to 44.1kHz.

May 14, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #1,185 of 9,270
I should, you’re right. Maybe the differences between 16/44 and 24/44 or 24/88 or 24/96 are just not so vast as to be noticeable? Will be keen to get your feedback on this when you try Poweramp for yourself. If anyone can pour out actual tracks and timing in those tracks where high-res quality difference is obvious between Poweramp and FiiO Music, please share.
It's not very noticeable, but but any re-sampling is worse as it reprocesses the original track, it's definitely noticeable on a spectrum analyser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back