[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
May 18, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #1,246 of 9,288
It would seem much easier for the developers if UAPP to make it available outside of Google Play than for FiiO to get Google to allow Google Play to run on the M11. Maybe you should be pestering the UAPP developers about this too?
Fiio already bypass the Android audio stack in one or more of their other players IIRC (x7 ii, perhaps?). That's preferable to a 3rd party option, in my view. Not sure if that's a hardware limitation or software, or if Fiio is already doing it but hasn't listed the functionality. This seems the place to talk about those sorts of things :wink:

UAPP uses Google Play to verify purchase. Not much that can be done on their end. Not Fiio's fault Google isn't certifying new Android 7 devices.

May 18, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #1,247 of 9,288
This. Totally.

A few years back I would have wanted to put everything on this. Now, I just want it to play audio really well. Anything else, I can do on my phone. That's just me though, I understand the frustration some will feel from not being able to use certain paid apps on their device. But I'm totally with you on this!
100% this with the proviso I'd like to bypass the Android audio stack, and as far as I know the only app that does that requires Play Services if it isn't implemented in firmware.

May 18, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #1,248 of 9,288
UAPP uses Google Play to verify purchase. Not much that can be done on their end. Not Fiio's fault Google isn't certifying new Android 7 devices.
Well, they can make it available outside of Google Play, like Poweramp, Neutron and many others. It’s not difficult, it’s a choice they’ve made, likely to maximize their revenue and exposure.

May 18, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #1,250 of 9,288
Well, they can make it available outside of Google Play, like Poweramp, Neutron and many others. It’s not difficult, it’s a choice they’ve made, likely to maximize their revenue and exposure.

I can't get Neutron working on the M11 because you can't add an account to it. Have you manged to do this?
I bought the Propay version on Neutron.

May 18, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #1,251 of 9,288
I can't get Neutron working on the M11 because you can't add an account to it. Have you manged to do this?
I bought the Propay version on Neutron.
I was running Neutron just fine. Don’t remember where I found it - could have been Aurora store or Amazon store. Uninstalled it because I didn’t like it though. After using Poweramp for a few weeks now I just can’t get used to all the other ‘inferior’ UI’s.

May 18, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #1,253 of 9,288
This is what I want to know. Does the M11 do this (picture taken from the X7 Mk II page)? If it does have "the ability to skip Android's native audio re-sampling", and I'm thinking about this correctly, UAPP isn't needed.
Screen Shot 2019-05-18 at 19.58.53.png

May 18, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #1,254 of 9,288
If this is their "Mid-High end " DAP I cannot wait to see the successor of the X7II
You and me both, maybe I should just wait and see instead of trying to talk myself into an M11 :sweat_smile:

May 19, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #1,255 of 9,288
From my end, the only reason to use UAPP over anything else is its ability to bypass the Android audio stack. I use it on my G7 ThinQ, for instance, to get a MQA unfold at full bitrate (24) rather have it downsampled to 16, as Android does through the Tidal app. There's a huge, audible difference, and that's why I'm in here pestering Fiio about it, since this DAP seems so close to ideal, but without clarity on that point.

UAPP requires the Google Services framework and Google Play to authenticate. Android requires some way to bypass the stock audio stack for better than 16/44.1. MQA unfolds to 24/96+. If I'm unable to at least get that 24/96 unfold, the M11 is less useful to me, as an audio device, than my daily driver phone or a ~$250 v30 apart from the balanced oit, which is sad, because it seems capable of so much more.

How do you do this? What settings in UAPP should I use to get full MQA unfold on Android without resampling? Thanks!

May 19, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #1,256 of 9,288
This is what I want to know. Does the M11 do this (picture taken from the X7 Mk II page)? If it does have "the ability to skip Android's native audio re-sampling", and I'm thinking about this correctly, UAPP isn't needed.
Yes, FiiO Music bypasses Android Audio from what I understand. Some others do as well, but they need special drivers to do this for your specific device.

May 19, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #1,257 of 9,288
You and me both, maybe I should just wait and see instead of trying to talk myself into an M11 :sweat_smile:
There will always be “better” but for the time being I can’t see there being better for $450. If I have to pay $700 for a higher-end dap the competition is quite tough. At $450 there’s nothing on the market that comes close to the M11, and probably won’t be for a while.

May 19, 2019 at 2:51 AM Post #1,258 of 9,288
How do you do this? What settings in UAPP should I use to get full MQA unfold on Android without resampling? Thanks!
As far as I could tell from the UAPP trial version, you have to enable high-res mode (which I believe is enabled by default, although bitperfect isn’t - and I’m not quite sure what the difference is here). UAPP has issues playing any hi-tea files on my M11, breaking up and full of static, especially when I enabled bitperfect mode. It kept asking me if I wanted to switch to Android audio because it couldn’t find my device drivers. So chances are even if you can get UAPP to actually load on the M11, it won’t have the drivers to allow it to bypass the Android audio stack on the M11. Poweramp is the only player I’m aware of that the developer is actively working on enabling high-res mode for some FiiO daps, including the M11.

May 19, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #1,259 of 9,288
As far as I could tell from the UAPP trial version, you have to enable high-res mode (which I believe is enabled by default, although bitperfect isn’t - and I’m not quite sure what the difference is here). UAPP has issues playing any hi-tea files on my M11, breaking up and full of static, especially when I enabled bitperfect mode. It kept asking me if I wanted to switch to Android audio because it couldn’t find my device drivers. So chances are even if you can get UAPP to actually load on the M11, it won’t have the drivers to allow it to bypass the Android audio stack on the M11. Poweramp is the only player I’m aware of that the developer is actively working on enabling high-res mode for some FiiO daps, including the M11.

I don't have M11, but I tried to get MQA stream from Tidal on my mobile, connected to IFI iDSD. When I play some Tidal Master tracks (MQA) from Macbook, I can see clear confirmation from IFI (yellow led light) that it gets high res data to play. But when I play the same tracks from Androin phone, IFI show that it gets only 16/44 data, not MQA. I tried UAPP playing with different settings, but I couldn't get the result - still the same 16/44 stream. So I'm wondering if it's possible to solve this puzzle somehow :)

May 19, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #1,260 of 9,288
I don't have the M11 yet but had the R6 and sold it.
I can't prove the claim but I doubt the R6 is any better than the M11 in terms of pure sound.
The R6 was nothing special to me.
I have tested the M11 today in Paris sound days along with the Cayin N6 Mk2 my impression is that the M11 sounds better than the Hiby R6 but not as good as the Hiby R6 Pro, which itself is on par with the Cayin N6 Mk2 but not as good as the Cayin N8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back