[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Jan 2, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #7,399 of 9,286
I believe it's discussed here already but 500 pages uhh... I'll try to read through past pages as much as I can but right now I'll appreciate quick answer.

For quite some time I'm considering M11, and for my needs it's much better choice than pro variant or even upcoming M15. Mostly because of the price and dual card slot.
I have one concern though. Can anyone tell me how does the M11 pair with sensitive IEM in terms of white noise? My S8F is very picky and so far I'm getting hiss from almost every source I tried it with. Every but ES100, that is perfect combo IMO, it's dead silent, convenient and SQ over LDAC is fine.
If M11 + S8F produce white noise it will be absolute deal breaker for me, because I offten listen to quiet, ambiental, relaxing music and even the smallest amount of hiss is annoying and unbearable to me.

One more, has anyone tried Ifi Iematch? I believe it will clean up the noise and lower the volume, but will it change the sound signature?
Thank you for your answers :)

Jan 2, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #7,400 of 9,286
The brand is a no name card that was $30. - I bought it on a lark, because I also needed a new card for my camera. I am copying DSD songs to the card as we speak. Will know over the next few days if it was worth my time and effort. ( my PC does say it is close to 1 TB. )

To those who told me I wasted my money on the card - you were partially correct :frowning2:
It seems that is holds 64GB and then stops writing to it so the first music files written, are there and sound good.

Jan 2, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #7,402 of 9,286
I believe it's discussed here already but 500 pages uhh... I'll try to read through past pages as much as I can but right now I'll appreciate quick answer.

For quite some time I'm considering M11, and for my needs it's much better choice than pro variant or even upcoming M15. Mostly because of the price and dual card slot.
I have one concern though. Can anyone tell me how does the M11 pair with sensitive IEM in terms of white noise? My S8F is very picky and so far I'm getting hiss from almost every source I tried it with. Every but ES100, that is perfect combo IMO, it's dead silent, convenient and SQ over LDAC is fine.
If M11 + S8F produce white noise it will be absolute deal breaker for me, because I offten listen to quiet, ambiental, relaxing music and even the smallest amount of hiss is annoying and unbearable to me.

One more, has anyone tried Ifi Iematch? I believe it will clean up the noise and lower the volume, but will it change the sound signature?

I owned m11 , first of all it's a great dap probably the best bang for buck and it really doesn't have any major faults, great build, great ui, and sounds pretty good too ...but for me it did hiss with my andro s , now everyone's level of hiss tolerance is different and even though it did hiss a little with andro s it wasn't awful but noticeable....I sold mine because I found the audio on a dx160 both sig and black background to be a lot better , but the dx160 has awful bluetooth and not great wifi distance either plus less battery life , one slot etc etc ...hope this helps.
From what I have heard the m11 pro is better for sensitive iems.

Jan 2, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #7,403 of 9,286

I don't use IEM's, but having read most of the 500 pages I would guess you only have to worry if your IEMs are below the supported resistence recommendation. I've read that IEM's below what FiiO says is the minimum recommended resistance will hiss. IIRC it's 16 Ohms, but please don't take my word for it. People with IEMs above the recommended resistance seem to be happy. Again, all anecdotal based on my reading of this topic.

Jan 2, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #7,405 of 9,286
I owned m11 , first of all it's a great dap probably the best bang for buck and it really doesn't have any major faults, great build, great ui, and sounds pretty good too ...but for me it did hiss with my andro s , now everyone's level of hiss tolerance is different and even though it did hiss a little with andro s it wasn't awful but noticeable....I sold mine because I found the audio on a dx160 both sig and black background to be a lot better , but the dx160 has awful bluetooth and not great wifi distance either plus less battery life , one slot etc etc ...hope this helps.
From what I have heard the m11 pro is better for sensitive iems.

Yes I've read that dx160 is maybe better in this area than M11 but 2 card slots are absolutely must for me as I rarely stream music. I've considered dx120 as well but I think android based dap is more future proof and I am creature of habit, android and poweramp work great for me. Since you mentioned tolerance to hiss well I don't have any, when listening music my brain is always searching for details so it has to be dead silent.

I don't use IEM's, but having read most of the 500 pages I would guess you only have to worry if your IEMs are below the supported resistence recommendation. I've read that IEM's below what FiiO says is the minimum recommended resistance will hiss. IIRC it's 16 Ohms, but please don't take my word for it. People with IEMs above the recommended resistance seem to be happy. Again, all anecdotal based on my reading of this topic.

S8F impedance is 15ohm. I must say ever since I bought this 8 core version of this cable
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/4000158772005.html
Hiss is even more taimed down but still noticeable on my Ifi xdsd.

Jan 2, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #7,406 of 9,286
anyone try one of these yet https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000351465646.html its a DK1 type c docking station. I currently use the dk1 dock with a Fiio X5III to a shitt Asguard amp, its where my dap sits when i am not out and about.. The Dk1 has a 3.5 line out to my asguard . I notice that the new DK1 type c just has a USB line out. any one know if i would have to connect this to anouther DAC or is there a way to go directly into my amp. I am hopeful i can set this up using my M11 instead of my buggy X5III

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #7,407 of 9,286
Anyone tried M11 with Fearless S8F? Any hiss?

Jan 3, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #7,410 of 9,286
Some advice!?
I didn't realize the Q5 was a phone. I think the answer is "your mileage may vary". You're already ahead of the game by listening to flac files in stead of crappier lossy representations of the music. From a hardware perspective the M11 is hardware dedicated to the purpose of audio. Is the dac better than what's in your phone? Probably, as well as the tailoring of the rest of the hardware to respect signal leakage and so forth. It really comes down to which pieces of your signal chain are the weak links.

If you're using DAC chips from bluetooth or other wireless headsets, then chance are the DAC in the M11 is much better than what you've got.
If you're using the bluetooth capabilities of your phone, the M11 has AptX HD, which is a vast improvement over other flavors of bluetooth if your receivers can utilize it. I don't know what kind of bluetooth the Q5 has.

Anyway, the M11 is terrific. On the other hand, I don't own a phone. I'm not sure I'd want to carry TWO devices around with me, and the M11 is a bigger/heavier device than most cell phones.

For me, it's my swiss army knife of audio, carrying ALL my music, to ALL my environments, wireless, wired, or otherwise, and it's great. I also use Tidal and Qobuz, they work great on it. Wifi in, bluetooth out, usually, but I also use some nice wired balanced headphones with it.

Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back