[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Jun 14, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #2,956 of 9,288
Remarks after a week listening etc.

First where I come from: Pioneer XDP-100R, using Shure KSE1200 (IEM portable electrostats), Sennheiser HD598 (over ear), Sennheiser Momentum (true wireless IEM).

Soundwise I am not overwhelmed, alas. This is not a big leap forward from the Pioneer, a DAP with several weak points, but not the audio. That was fine. I was hoping for more after 4 years of tech progress, double DACs, balanced output, positive reviews (factory sponsored and/or genuine, hard to tell these days) etc. Not the fault of Fiio of course, these high expectations of mine. The bottom line is: the Fiio sounds only just as good as the Pioneer. I had hoped for more. Other elements are improvements though.

Biggest let down, and this is the fault of Fiio, is the poor software of the Music App, functions that I didn't get to work at all (playlists, wifi transfer, air play, dlna) or not as one would expect (search, tag edit, eq, touch screen). The lack of a manual, referred to in the quick guide but absent on the Fiio site, is sad. Why should I first pay 500 euros for a device are then be obliged to figured out myself how everything works? UPDATE: Meanwhile, the complete manual has shown up on the new Fiio site http://user-guide.fiio.net/M1_Complete_User_Manual-V1.2-EN.pdf. Better later than never.

I would not have bought the M11 were it not for the 2 micro SD slots, as in the Pioneer. They work as you might expect, I have 2 of 400 gb.

The fact that my favourite app Poweramp implemented HiRes for the M11, only weeks before the start of the sale, has won me over. So I can now ignore the Fiio Music App and enjoy Poweramp with a much better User Interface. And the sound is just as good and more adaptable (better eq).

I really don't like to come across language that I cannot read. Chinese characters in this case. The same on the Fiio website where some pages are unreadable because of this. Maybe this is due to the migration from Fiio.net to Fiio.com but it all makes a rather amateurish impression.

In spite of everything and since I am not condemned to using the Fiio Music App I don’t regret buying and keeping the M11. Here is why:

Like with the Pioneer I am happy with the sound of the M11, even if I don't hear an improvement over the Pioneer. I have to add that my appreciation is probably largely due to the astounding KSE1200. With the HD598 the sound is just very reasonable. The balanced cable I especially bought for the M11-HD598 gives more power to these big cans but I don’t hear a difference in sound quality. I could have saved myself the 33 dollar.

I like the screen, size and quality and the form factor, though I would have preferred the buttons and the volume wheel on the other side. And a screen protector on the front would have been nice.

The Bluetooth codec that I use, aptx HD, works flawlessly (transmitting; have not tried receiving). The sound is good and there are no drop outs, other than with the Pioneer.

Everything works faster than I was used to, including handling the sd card contents on the pc.

Battery life as far as I witnessed so far is good.

If I might make one wish it would be one touch wake up. Just as when the DAP is docked and/or charging and the screensaver is on while music is playing: you tap once and you are in. Much better than the double tapping that one has to do when not docked and/or charging. This double tapping is cumbersome and annoying.

And why not the dimmed album art as a screensaver?

To top it of, would it be difficult to introduce of few gestures on the same sleeping/dimmed screen that you see when charging, to avoid first waking it up? And to avoid targeting your finger to a small spot on the screen in order to go to the next song. The physical buttons are practical in some cases, but often not. You also have to lead you finger to them and manage pushing one without sliding the device off the table, unless you use both hands. A gesture anywhere on the big screen surface would be a much better way.

One such gesture: Adjusting the volume: tap and hold and sliding up or down. At present, with sudden increases in the volume when a new number starts playing for instance, it takes me too much time to locate the wheel and turn it quickly enough to lower the volume sufficiently.

Another gesture would be: next. By swiping. The same as when the screen is on. Again, I am talking about the dimmed/sleeping screen, while the music is playing. So, swipe the sleeping screen from right to left as usual, to go to the next song, without waking it up.

If you want to do more than just adjust the volume or go to the next song: just tap to change the dimmed album art into the regular screen, as is the case presently when you are listening while charging. Next and volume up or down are fonctions used countless times when one listens to music. They should be ultra simple/easy to manage.

These gestures should be optional, on or off. Don’t use it if you don’t like it. But imagine how much easier it would be. And in the evening you avoid the screen unnecessarily lightening up when you lie in bed or you are sitting at the candle lit diner table unconspicuoulsy sending your lounge music via Bluetooth your the sound system.

Finally, to those who call this device cheap for what it offers (not always delivers in my view): I think 500 euro is still a lot of money. I'll stick to this machine for the foreseeable future and learn to be happy with it.

Playlists and WiFi transfer work perfectly fine - how are you not getting them to work?
HD598 are bog standard, not much better (if at all) than ATHM50s. Not surprised you're not hearing an improvement, you've hit the ceiling of those cans.
Double tap is too much for you, you want a single tap? Apart from anything else, the chances of this leading to more-frequently-than-desired accidental unlocks while in a pocket are reason enough to stick with double-tap.
Same reason for not having the screen active while asleep for gestures - plus the battery life. Does any player work in this fashion?
Can't find the volume wheel in a pinch? Maybe you need to orient it differently in your pocket (I'm assuming this is when it happens) so the wheel is uppermost and your thumb can turn it.
Dimmed album art - if using Fiio music, you can access this in the theme/look settings so that your album art is the wallpaper and also the lockscreen wallpaper.
Screen protector came already applied - are you 100% sure it's not already on there and you haven't realised it?

I agree that the price is not cheap. Compared to the competition, Fiio is providing considerable value for the price asked IMO.

Jun 14, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #2,958 of 9,288
I'd have to agree with you on being not truly balanced. But I have to digress on my previous statement. The more I listen to it, the more I realize that what I'm getting is more detail. It isn't as smooth but switching back to the 3.5mm port feels like I was missing something. Could just be the extra power (a lot of it). But whatever it's doing, it's doing something right. Oh and if you can point me to a Shure SRH440 cable that's truly balanced, would appreciate it. Not 2.5 please. It really looks flimsy. 4.4 would be preferable (something that ships to Asia). Thanks a lot!

P.S. My Grado doesn't have a detachable cable so there's that. :)

Where are you in Asia?

Jun 14, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #2,959 of 9,288
Say what now? Why?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...-player-m11-is-now-available-globally.907895/

※ Purchase the M11 and Win a free gift worth USD 25.99 ※

Gift: A set of leather case SK-M11 for the FiiO M11 worth USD 25.99 (on FiiO Aliexpress store)

How to enter:

Step 1: Purchase the M11 through any authorized sales agent which can be located via our online listing: https://bit.ly/2OBzJpn(Shipments to respective distributors begins today, you can check with the respective sales agent on the expected availability of the product),If you do not have a sales agent listed, you may make your purchase at our FiiO Aliexpress store at: https://fiio.aliexpress.com/store/1473108

Step 2: Make comments or share your purchase experience on any one platform of the following:
✓ Amazon: with at least 3 pictures + no less than 50 words comments
✓ Facebook / Twitter / Instagram or other social media: with no less than 3 pictures with a worded comment of no less than 100 words.
✓ Head-Fi or any other audio-related forum: with no less than 3 pictures with a worded comment of no less than 150 words.

Step 3: Email the following to activity@fiio.net:
✓ Purchase proof of successful transaction (screenshot for online order or invoice/receipt for order made in physical store)
✓ Photo of the M11 package with the serial number label
✓ The link and screenshot of sharing / comment
✓ Your delivery info with Full name + Address with zip code + Telephone number

Terms and Conditions
● Only purchase of M11 made on/before July 15th, 2019 qualifies;
● Comments/sharing must be made between June 1st, 2019 to July 15th, 2019;
● First 50 entries with the correct submission will be qualified for the gift.
● Your worded comments and photos may be used by FiiO for marketing purposes.
● Limited to one entry per individual, multiple entries will be disqualified.
● In the case of refunds of any nature, the entry will automatically be disqualified.
●Entry into the promotion will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.
● FiiO Electronics Technology Co.,Ltd’s decision is final.
●FiiO Electronics Technology Co.,Ltd shall have the right, at its sole discretion and at any time, to change or modify these terms and conditions, such change shall be effective immediately upon posting to this webpage.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #2,960 of 9,288
Remarks after a week listening etc.

First where I come from: Pioneer XDP-100R, using Shure KSE1200 (IEM portable electrostats), Sennheiser HD598 (over ear), Sennheiser Momentum (true wireless IEM).

Soundwise I am not overwhelmed, alas. This is not a big leap forward from the Pioneer, a DAP with several weak points, but not the audio. That was fine. I was hoping for more after 4 years of tech progress, double DACs, balanced output, positive reviews (factory sponsored and/or genuine, hard to tell these days) etc. Not the fault of Fiio of course, these high expectations of mine. The bottom line is: the Fiio sounds only just as good as the Pioneer. I had hoped for more. Other elements are improvements though.

Biggest let down, and this is the fault of Fiio, is the poor software of the Music App, functions that I didn't get to work at all (playlists, wifi transfer, air play, dlna) or not as one would expect (search, tag edit, eq, touch screen). The lack of a manual, referred to in the quick guide but absent on the Fiio site, is sad. Why should I first pay 500 euros for a device are then be obliged to figured out myself how everything works? UPDATE: Meanwhile, the complete manual has shown up on the new Fiio site http://user-guide.fiio.net/M1_Complete_User_Manual-V1.2-EN.pdf. Better later than never.

I would not have bought the M11 were it not for the 2 micro SD slots, as in the Pioneer. They work as you might expect, I have 2 of 400 gb.

The fact that my favourite app Poweramp implemented HiRes for the M11, only weeks before the start of the sale, has won me over. So I can now ignore the Fiio Music App and enjoy Poweramp with a much better User Interface. And the sound is just as good and more adaptable (better eq).

I really don't like to come across language that I cannot read. Chinese characters in this case. The same on the Fiio website where some pages are unreadable because of this. Maybe this is due to the migration from Fiio.net to Fiio.com but it all makes a rather amateurish impression.

In spite of everything and since I am not condemned to using the Fiio Music App I don’t regret buying and keeping the M11. Here is why:

Like with the Pioneer I am happy with the sound of the M11, even if I don't hear an improvement over the Pioneer. I have to add that my appreciation is probably largely due to the astounding KSE1200. With the HD598 the sound is just very reasonable. The balanced cable I especially bought for the M11-HD598 gives more power to these big cans but I don’t hear a difference in sound quality. I could have saved myself the 33 dollar.

I like the screen, size and quality and the form factor, though I would have preferred the buttons and the volume wheel on the other side. And a screen protector on the front would have been nice.

The Bluetooth codec that I use, aptx HD, works flawlessly (transmitting; have not tried receiving). The sound is good and there are no drop outs, other than with the Pioneer.

Everything works faster than I was used to, including handling the sd card contents on the pc.

Battery life as far as I witnessed so far is good.

If I might make one wish it would be one touch wake up. Just as when the DAP is docked and/or charging and the screensaver is on while music is playing: you tap once and you are in. Much better than the double tapping that one has to do when not docked and/or charging. This double tapping is cumbersome and annoying.

And why not the dimmed album art as a screensaver?

To top it of, would it be difficult to introduce of few gestures on the same sleeping/dimmed screen that you see when charging, to avoid first waking it up? And to avoid targeting your finger to a small spot on the screen in order to go to the next song. The physical buttons are practical in some cases, but often not. You also have to lead you finger to them and manage pushing one without sliding the device off the table, unless you use both hands. A gesture anywhere on the big screen surface would be a much better way.

One such gesture: Adjusting the volume: tap and hold and sliding up or down. At present, with sudden increases in the volume when a new number starts playing for instance, it takes me too much time to locate the wheel and turn it quickly enough to lower the volume sufficiently.

Another gesture would be: next. By swiping. The same as when the screen is on. Again, I am talking about the dimmed/sleeping screen, while the music is playing. So, swipe the sleeping screen from right to left as usual, to go to the next song, without waking it up.

If you want to do more than just adjust the volume or go to the next song: just tap to change the dimmed album art into the regular screen, as is the case presently when you are listening while charging. Next and volume up or down are fonctions used countless times when one listens to music. They should be ultra simple/easy to manage.

These gestures should be optional, on or off. Don’t activateit if you don’t like it. But imagine how much easier it would be. And in the evening you avoid the screen unnecessarily lightening up when you lie in bed or you are sitting at the candle lit diner table inconspicuoulsy sending your lounge music via Bluetooth your the sound system.

Finally, to those who call this device cheap for what it offers (not always delivers in my view): I think 500 euro is still a lot of money. I'll stick to this machine for the foreseeable future and learn to be happy with it.
Great impressions and a valuable post indeed. Can’t dispute most of what you said because it’s your opinion, and I also tend to agree with some of your gripes (the FiiO app needs a major upgrade and they could have done a lot more with their gestures).

One point of clarification: there IS a front screen protector on the device. It’s super flush but it’s there.

Jun 14, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #2,964 of 9,288
Great impressions and a valuable post indeed. Can’t dispute most of what you said because it’s your opinion, and I also tend to agree with some of your gripes (the FiiO app needs a major upgrade and they could have done a lot more with their gestures).

One point of clarification: there IS a front screen protector on the device. It’s super flush but it’s there.

I can confirm the M11 I bought from Advanced MP3 Players have no screen protector. I'm assuming the "international batch" FiiO shipped doesnt have it. Is not that I haven't noticed. But I guess I'm glad, there's been some posts of people removing it due to it being poorly attached... :D

Jun 14, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #2,965 of 9,288
Jun 14, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #2,966 of 9,288
I can confirm the M11 I bought from Advanced MP3 Players have no screen protector. I'm assuming the "international batch" FiiO shipped doesnt have it. Is not that I haven't noticed. But I guess I'm glad, there's been some posts of people removing it due to it being poorly attached... :D

I bought from them and did :) sorry to hear some are not getting them :frowning2:

Juj

Jun 14, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #2,968 of 9,288
Ok the volume wheel is getting annoying. Is there a way to have the screen volume to pop up without using the wheel?

Also why are people having so much hate on 2.5mm? Has anyone have had problems with it?
My engineer side tells to like 4.4mm but I have never had a problem with the 2.5mm.

Jun 14, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #2,970 of 9,288
That’s odd, you should take this up with FiiO. Each and every unit should be coming off the production line with a screen protector. It’s not like one of those crappy phone screen protectors, it fits totally flush. If I didn’t know to look I wouldn’t know it was there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back