1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

FiiO M11-Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by FiiO, Mar 19, 2019.
Tags:
First

Back
168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177
179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188
Next

Last
  1. jmills8
    Z1 has a very different sound. Its very warm sounding compared to : 11 , sp1000 , N8 , Paw Gold, dx200 , 220. The z1 leans towards the X5III, imagine that.

2. abitdeef
    Exactly. what does better in treble mean? How can you qualify that statement? The m11 certainly isn't treble shy or rolled off and it has all the audio cues needed to portray cymbals and such accurately.

In fact with my gear I thought the treble on the m11 sounded livelier than dx220, and what does more emotional mids mean?

Is there specific points in a song I could notice these differences? I thought the mids sounded a bit more lush on the m11 myself.

Anyways these are just common review problems of trying to objectify something very subjective. And honestly I enjoyed the review. Me personally I kind of like reviews that have lots of pictures like expat in Japan's :) because I know that ultimately my own ears have to decide.

Now I do like when hbb does his- this sounds like this thing on this certain part of a song. It's something I can wrap my head easily around and I'm very familiar with the stuff he uses, in fact I've been using it myself for a long time. (Pink Floyd) on the run. :wink: it's stuff you can try with your daps and be like yes that sounds pretty much identical between dap a & b.

Be thankful it's not an AK, ouch! I'm eyeing a leather case myself, and another screen protector- Fiio!!!!! :wink:

dsrk, gLer and Vitandus like this.
  3. abitdeef
    It's heavy too, you should buy at least 2 of them incase you drop one :wink:

jmills8 likes this.
  4. cleg
    thank you for the discussion, I think we've understood each other's points of view, I'll re-read your answer and I'll think what I can improve as I'm 90% agree with you
    the only place where I can disagree is the quoted part. I think that it's a part of "common sense" understanding that every single review is subjective (unless we're speaking about fast like "it's green" or "it's weight is 250 grams"), so no need to highlight the obvious fact
    at the end, my opinion is as subjective as any other

BadReligionPunk and gLer like this.
  5. abitdeef
    M11 vs Cayin n6ii? :) I can't be thinking about the m6ii- the banks closed :frowning2:

superuser1 likes this.
  6. zeroselect
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

VanNuys already solved that problem.

abitdeef likes this.
  7. jmills8
    I carried it, it felt like 6 Hugos. Theres two versions of that sony.

zeroselect and abitdeef like this.
  8. cleg
    first of all, it's layering, e.g. ability to separate overtones of timbre-reach instruments, that's where I hear the most difference, take some proper record of timbre-rich instruments (like "Jazz at the Pawnshop") and do a comparison, using neutral top-level headphones, difference will be noticeable
    I'm using few records made on concerts I've visited to test for naturalness in sound, but even without that usually difference is noticeable, when you know the real sound of particular instruments

I didn't say it's rolled off, or shy or something like that. Actually, intense cymbals aren't perfect treble test, because cymbals are pretty intensive and often lose small nuances, so they're ok for testing resolution, control, attack and amount, not layering and decay

I won't argue with you, because it's a matter of preferences. we listen to the gear, we make selections. saying "no, you hear it wrong" is the silliest thing in the world. unless you just want to get some hype, using TV preacher approach "come to me, and I'll tell you the truth"

well, it means… emotional :) better representing existing emotions

sure, just take two versions of Beethoven Symphonie Nr.5, Von Karajan's one and Carlos Kleiber's. they are pretty different in manner, for me Karajan sound less emotional, it's "ordnung und sauberkeit" approach to music, while Kleiber is more emotional, and it's noticeable comparing their works. with DX220 this difference is more noticeable

I'm doing that, but what difference you can spot on 2Pac or AC/DC records? I don't I do not underestimate their merits, and I like them (actually, AC/DC much more), but for critical listening, I use test CDs that have material I'm familiar with and that is properly recorded, mixed and mastered

I'm giving a few tracks as examples in each review, but it's more a way to tell about music that I like and to give readers perception of gear's manner. but it's a really rough estimation

9. gLer
    I won’t argue for or against here, but I’ll agree that music choice makes a MASSIVE difference to how you’ll hear something. If your playlist comprises mostly pop, electronica, hip-hop and rap, you’re likely to assess a dap (or headphones or IEMs) very differently to someone like you who’s educated in classical and jazz and prefers sound signatures that benefit these genres. Also, you have to know that many people don’t care about ‘layered and extended treble’, and if that’s the case, they might completely exclude that from their decision criteria.

I do get what you’re saying though. I personally look for impact and rumble in the sub-bass and a lack of midbass bloom is important too. If I’m not hearing that, I’m likely to prefer something less (in fact it’s why I prefer a $250 IEM like the FH5 to the $1,100 Andromeda for most of the music I listen to, for example).

As for ascribing emotions to frequencies, that’s purely based on musical preference. Some prefer forward vocals, others prefer forward instruments, others prefer more treble. It’s all ok. I’m not quite sure how a dap can have more ‘emotional mids’ though I can see how tuning and pairing with specific headphones can render mids differently with the music you listen to, and also vary from dap to dap.

Not sure you can get this across without going into specifics though (song name/timecode/IEM/headphone/dap settings etc.).

dsrk likes this.
  10. abitdeef
    Yes it's all subjective and honestly I don't have dx220 anymore, so I can't do any more comparisons. But I am a musician and I know what cymbals sound like- close up :wink: and the m11 does them realistically. As far as layering, I still don't really even know what that entails. So It's meaningless to me.

I mean I can in a soundstage yes, but to pick out all the harmonics out of a single instrument well lol I'll take your word for it.

cleg likes this.
  11. zeroselect
    Got it!

So use the DMP-Z1 as a blunt force trauma weapon while use the M11s sharp corners to cut them.

JRichardson1228 and jmills8 like this.
  12. Jujoe
    Special forces Audio to the rescue.

Juj

zeroselect likes this.
  13. abitdeef
    Taking it through airport security- it's my Walkman really! Sir step aside. Seriously this things the bomb! .... oh damn.

zeroselect likes this.
  14. zeroselect
    Mike at HIFI Insider says its all good.

15. zeroselect
    Ok back to my question. Does anyone know a way to adjust the color temperature for the screen?

First

Back
168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177
179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188
Next

Last