Fiio M11 - 2 x AK4493, 2 x Card Slots, 4.4mm, 2.5mm Balanced, 3.5mm SE, 720P Bezeless Screen, 3GB RAM 32GB Storage
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #181 of 192
Hello, can I ask you to try if Tidal works fine on the M11? I'm traveling to Shanghai this Wednesday for a week, and if it's good then I might pick it up from JD.com. How's the sound? Do you have the Chord Mojo to compare to?

Thanks
If I have time tomorrow I'll try tidal. So sorry I can't compare to more gear, never had the mojo and the one time I tried it, it wasn't a good match.

However, I'll restate this, in case it helps: I have yet to connect the xd05 with burson v5i, widely touted as possibly better than the mojo. Currently I'm just in love with what the M11 is doing and I don't want to change anything. I'm sorted for a DAP for a good few years now. As I often say when I'm happy with a purchase, I'm delighted. And entranced, addicted, transported.

Oh! While I'm writing, tried the Nighthawks today. It all works and I can get a high volume but I'd want an amp in between the player and the cans, I wasn't getting the most out of the pairing. Again, balanced might be a different matter.

Ps: enjoy Shanghai! I'm off to the Philippines, otherwise I'd ask if you wanted to grab a drink!

Mar 25, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #182 of 192
If I have time tomorrow I'll try tidal. So sorry I can't compare to more gear, never had the mojo and the one time I tried it, it wasn't a good match.

However, I'll restate this, in case it helps: I have yet to connect the xd05 with burson v5i, widely touted as possibly better than the mojo. Currently I'm just in love with what the M11 is doing and I don't want to change anything. I'm sorted for a DAP for a good few years now. As I often say when I'm happy with a purchase, I'm delighted. And entranced, addicted, transported.

Oh! While I'm writing, tried the Nighthawks today. It all works and I can get a high volume but I'd want an amp in between the player and the cans, I wasn't getting the most out of the pairing. Again, balanced might be a different matter.

Ps: enjoy Shanghai! I'm off to the Philippines, otherwise I'd ask if you wanted to grab a drink!

Thanks for the feedback. I'll only use with my pair of Campfire Atlas IEMs, so loudness won't be an issue.
Next time for the drinks then.

Cheers

Mar 25, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #183 of 192
Hopefully someone can compare 3-way: X5III, X7II, M11.
The reason the 3-way comparison is important to me - I really like the X5III sound (and own a X5III), but did not like the X7II as it sounds colder / analytical to me, and was missing on the fun-factor the X5III introduces.
So... is M11 is an improved X5III or is it trying to be more like X7II ?

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #184 of 192
The reason the 3-way comparison is important to me - I really like the X5III sound (and own a X5III), but did not like the X7II as it sounds colder / analytical to me, and was missing on the fun-factor the X5III introduces.
Same reason I bought the X5III and then later bought the Cayin N8. Bought have the details while not sounding flat and cold.

Mar 26, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #185 of 192

Can't compare to X7 I'm afraid, but can compare to X5iii. Like I said, there's a lot more detail in the sound but it doesn't translate as a stronger high end. I would use the word 'musical' except that has somewhat negative connotations. So let's instead say there is no sacrifice of musicality. Likewise, I'm tempted to say 'slightly warm' but again, that indicates a pronounced bass and mid-bass which is simply not true.

The M11 gives a rich sound. Rich in detail, in texture, in staging presentation. It doesn't favour any area of frequency - it is wonderfully balanced in the best way you could imagine. If you own an X5iii and are looking to upgrade in every area, I would have no hesitation in vigorously recommending this DAP. I still haven't connected the amp I have relied on over the past year. I guess I will at some point, but right now I am addicted to this signature.

Today's update:

Aurora Store - this is a winner. @FiiO - if you are looking for an alternative to the Playstore to preload, I think this is the one.

Tidal - installed but haven't been able to log in yet due to the fact that I can't remember my password. When I can, I will report back. Sorry!

Plex - not sure about this. Although I have logged in, and it picked up the server at work, it refuses to pick up the server at home and tells me it is in 'trial mode' I do not have Plex Pass, but it is suggesting I get it. I have not had this issue on the many phones and tablets I have installed Plex to. So have not been able to test streaming music from my server.

WiFi Transfer - this works very well across computers and phones (as long as the phone has the Fiio music app installed). Makes moving files to the player very easy. Pleased with this.

Imaging/Layering/Staging - Buena Vista has never EVER sounded so remarkable. At the same time, Coltrane's Blue Train sounds considerably less panned than it has done before. There is some kind of selective crossfeed wizardry going on here.

Nova Launcher - because, why not. Works fine, but no option for Prime. That's ok though, still have a degree more control over the desktop than stock.

Boot time - 8 seconds. 8. Let that sink in.

Scanning songs - this is estimated, I didn't time it. Nearly 11,000 tracks on two 256 Gb cards. Maybe 4 minutes. Might have been 3. It was impressively fast though.

Joy Of The Day - I tried an old favourite today - All About Eve: Road to Your Soul. Loved this way back in the day but have never had a pleasant playing of it as I upgrade various bits of gear. The M11 rendered it wonderfully, this is now an album I could listen to and enjoy again. Also Bowie's Starman - impeccable. Also (and I know I will lose some of you here) Britney's I Wanna Go - it slams, no need for bass boost here. Same for Friends With Mushrooms (Infected Mushroom)

Obviously, my earphones are playing a large part here - they are fantastic, my personal end-game set. But this DAP is really bringing out the best in them. This is a regret-free purchase.

Mar 26, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #186 of 192
Can't compare to X7 I'm afraid, but can compare to X5iii. Like I said, there's a lot more detail in the sound but it doesn't translate as a stronger high end. I would use the word 'musical' except that has somewhat negative connotations. So let's instead say there is no sacrifice of musicality. Likewise, I'm tempted to say 'slightly warm' but again, that indicates a pronounced bass and mid-bass which is simply not true.

The M11 gives a rich sound. Rich in detail, in texture, in staging presentation. It doesn't favour any area of frequency - it is wonderfully balanced in the best way you could imagine. If you own an X5iii and are looking to upgrade in every area, I would have no hesitation in vigorously recommending this DAP. I still haven't connected the amp I have relied on over the past year. I guess I will at some point, but right now I am addicted to this signature.

Today's update:

Aurora Store - this is a winner. @FiiO - if you are looking for an alternative to the Playstore to preload, I think this is the one.

Tidal - installed but haven't been able to log in yet due to the fact that I can't remember my password. When I can, I will report back. Sorry!

Plex - not sure about this. Although I have logged in, and it picked up the server at work, it refuses to pick up the server at home and tells me it is in 'trial mode' I do not have Plex Pass, but it is suggesting I get it. I have not had this issue on the many phones and tablets I have installed Plex to. So have not been able to test streaming music from my server.

WiFi Transfer - this works very well across computers and phones (as long as the phone has the Fiio music app installed). Makes moving files to the player very easy. Pleased with this.

Imaging/Layering/Staging - Buena Vista has never EVER sounded so remarkable. At the same time, Coltrane's Blue Train sounds considerably less panned than it has done before. There is some kind of selective crossfeed wizardry going on here.

Nova Launcher - because, why not. Works fine, but no option for Prime. That's ok though, still have a degree more control over the desktop than stock.

Scanning songs - this is estimated, I didn't time it. Nearly 11,000 tracks on two 256 Gb cards. Maybe 4 minutes. Might have been 3. It was impressively fast though.

Joy Of The Day - I tried an old favourite today - All About Eve: Road to Your Soul. Loved this way back in the day but have never had a pleasant playing of it as I upgrade various bits of gear. The M11 rendered it wonderfully, this is now an album I could listen to and enjoy again. Also Bowie's Starman - impeccable. Also (and I know I will lose some of you here) Britney's I Wanna Go - it slams, no need for bass boost here. Same for Friends With Mushrooms (Infected Mushroom)

Obviously, my earphones are playing a large part here - they are fantastic, my personal end-game set. But this DAP is really bringing out the best in them. This is a regret-free purchase.
Consistently impressive feedback, thank you! Really can’t wait till I get mine. Look forward to hearing the FH5 out of this.

Hope you resolve the Plex issue. Do you remember which version of the app you loaded and where you got it from? This is one of the key apps I must have running properly.

Any chance you’ve had a play with Netflix yet? Just curious if it works more than anything.

Oh and this: https://m.apkpure.com/usb-audio-player-pro/com.USB.Audio.Player.Pro

Thanks again for all the great feedback.

Mar 26, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #187 of 192

Today's update:

Appreciate you trying out Aurora Store... thanks a lot.

Mar 26, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #188 of 192
Oh my goodness. I just received the x5iii less than a week ago and found out about the m11 over the weekend. I'm absolutely returning the x5 and waiting until the m11 comes out. For my first DAP ever, I figure the m11 is a good choice. I'm following this thread to the max!

Mar 26, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #189 of 192

Sigh. Already got too many DAPs, but this one is so tempting... :angry:

Mar 26, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #190 of 192
Sigh. Already got too many DAPs, but this one is so tempting... :angry:
Too many like two daps ? Those daps starting to sound really bad.

Mar 26, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #191 of 192
Too many like two daps ? Those daps starting to sound really bad.
I got 5 or 6 DAPs... Would be all over M11 if I only had 2 DAPs :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back