[FiiO K9]FiiO Desktop DAC and Headphone Amplifier K9 Is Officially Released!
May 28, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #63 of 223
First K9 video review that I've been able to find, not very comprehensive but its a start :relaxed:

May 28, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #64 of 223
By the way, this is what I noticed with the K9 after a week of use. Sometimes you can hear something inside K9 quietly clicking. The sound is similar to a very quiet metallic click or thud. This happens when I go to bed and put the K9 into sleep mode, after about 10-15 minutes there is a quiet click. Also sometimes it can be heard when I bring the K9 out of sleep mode, after about 3 minutes. Perhaps this is due to the fact that the device heats up during operation, and I often open the window and ventilate the room, and now it’s pretty cool for me, because of which, due to changes in the ambient temperature in the room, something inside the K9 can cool down and produce a similar sound. This is just my guess, I don't know the exact reason. Clicks are rare and they are very quiet, they are heard only in complete silence, for example at night. To clarify, this is not about relay clicks when the device is turned on and off, we are talking about rare random quiet clicks during turning the device on / off and after putting it into sleep mode. Has anyone noticed similar? The device itself works flawlessly, there are no problems.
Dear friend,
Possible metallic sound from cooling.
Best regards
Can any of the owners of K9 or K9 Pro confirm the presence of a metallic sound from cooling? It's just funny that I can't find any mention of this phenomenon on the Internet other than my own, as if people don't have these metallic clicks or they just never paid attention to them.

May 28, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #66 of 223
I’ve had no noises whatsoever. Gets reasonably hot in use but nothing worrying. I turn it off completely at night when I’ve finished listening. But no noises even then (when it’s cooling).
I may begin to suspect that I have come across an assembly-related marriage. Although the device itself works without problems at all. :disappointed:

May 28, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #67 of 223
Can any of the owners of K9 or K9 Pro confirm the presence of a metallic sound from cooling? It's just funny that I can't find any mention of this phenomenon on the Internet other than my own, as if people don't have these metallic clicks or they just never paid attention to them.
Dear friend,
We did not get similar feedback from other users currently. But according to your description, we think it may be a netakkuc sound from cooling.
Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 28, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #68 of 223
I’ve had no noises whatsoever. Gets reasonably hot in use but nothing worrying. I turn it off completely at night when I’ve finished listening. But no noises even then (when it’s cooling).
Same here no noises, slightly warm during use but nothing out of the ordinary.

May 29, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #69 of 223
I may begin to suspect that I have come across an assembly-related marriage. Although the device itself works without problems at all. :disappointed:
Hi guys! I just got the k9 yesterday and I'm burning them in (if you're a believer) and i think this is a great device/gear! And to @Kegra I notice some clicking also on my device. It is not alarming as I've experience this kind of clicking on my Questyle qp2r dap although that's a different device but somehow both have amplification and K9 is just bigger. Everything is working fine though just like Kegra and I just want to share that I can also hear it. I will be sharing initial impressions soon as I reach around 20-25 hours of usage. Although ESS chip is not my first choice personally, (i prefer AKM or r2r) but K9 is near to convincing me to go back and like ESS tone, timbre, and sound profile once again. I'll be putting up a review of this say... Maybe in 3 weeks to fully comprehend what K9 can do as well as its cons. Cheers!

May 30, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #70 of 223
Greetings!

Since this is my first dac/amp i got a few noob questions. I feel it's better to ask rather than make a fool of myself. Lol.

Connection is usb K9 hooked up to a macbook pro. Player is foobar. Connected to Presonus studio monitors.

1. Preamp mode - volume knob works. Am i right in thinking the dac and amp is working in this mode?
2. LO mode - volume knob is not working and irrelevant. Is this where the DAC is bypassed and only the amp is working?

I hope this message finds you all well. Sorry again for a noob question.

Best regards

May 30, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #71 of 223
Greetings!

Since this is my first dac/amp i got a few noob questions. I feel it's better to ask rather than make a fool of myself. Lol.

Connection is usb K9 hooked up to a macbook pro. Player is foobar. Connected to Presonus studio monitors.

1. Preamp mode - volume knob works. Am i right in thinking the dac and amp is working in this mode?
2. LO mode - volume knob is not working and irrelevant. Is this where the DAC is bypassed and only the amp is working?

I hope this message finds you all well. Sorry again for a noob question.

Best regards
Untitled.jpg

As far as I know DAC is still active in all modes provided you are using a digital input ie:USB

Last edited:
May 30, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #72 of 223
Untitled.jpg

As far as I know DAC is still active in all modes provided you are using a digital input ie:USB
Ohhh thanks for the response! That answers my question. Greatly appreciated.

May 30, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #73 of 223
Dear friend,
We did not get similar feedback from other users currently. But according to your description, we think it may be a netakkuc sound from cooling.
Best regards
Hi guys! I just got the k9 yesterday and I'm burning them in (if you're a believer) and i think this is a great device/gear! And to @Kegra I notice some clicking also on my device. It is not alarming as I've experience this kind of clicking on my Questyle qp2r dap although that's a different device but somehow both have amplification and K9 is just bigger. Everything is working fine though just like Kegra and I just want to share that I can also hear it. I will be sharing initial impressions soon as I reach around 20-25 hours of usage. Although ESS chip is not my first choice personally, (i prefer AKM or r2r) but K9 is near to convincing me to go back and like ESS tone, timbre, and sound profile once again. I'll be putting up a review of this say... Maybe in 3 weeks to fully comprehend what K9 can do as well as its cons. Cheers!
Recorded on the microphone these clicks, which I spoke about earlier. I completely turned off the device, and within an hour after that there were 5-6 clicks. It’s clear that I won’t include an hour-long audio recording here, so I made a separate audio track of a few seconds, where I specially cut out the moments with clicks.

This is how it sounds: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q6TBgPYJTM3U20hIyxKmJhY4wAExd5AR/view?usp=sharing

Exactly the same clicks are heard some time after the launch of K9.

May 30, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #74 of 223
Recorded on the microphone these clicks, which I spoke about earlier. I completely turned off the device, and within an hour after that there were 5-6 clicks. It’s clear that I won’t include an hour-long audio recording here, so I made a separate audio track of a few seconds, where I specially cut out the moments with clicks.

This is how it sounds: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q6TBgPYJTM3U20hIyxKmJhY4wAExd5AR/view?usp=sharing

Exactly the same clicks are heard some time after the launch of K9.
I listened to your recording. Hmmmm it sounds a bit different from what I'm hearing from mine. I'll try to record mine.

I've noticed i have the clicks when powering up the k9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back