FiiO K7/K7BT Desktop DAC&Headphone AMP Discussion | XLR Balance | Dual THX AAA | Xmos | ...
Mar 16, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #106 of 1,429
I would say no to that. Why pay for a format that price gouges for minimal if any improvement and locks you into very specific hardware that will pass the licencing fees on to the end user.

If anything Fiio should put up a survey and see if people are willing to drop more money for MQA.
Exactly. Since this K7 is a more budget friendly devise, features like MQA, Femto-clocks should not be added.
MQA could be added to upcoming Flagship models.

Topping did this nicely with their devices like D90 DAC.
They make D90 without MQA for lower price & D90 with MQA for +$100.

I think AK4497 dac is ideal for this.
It is not the AKM's flagship DAC(AK4499) anymore, so it is cheaper and still a relatively new device but AK4493 is on older side now.
And if I'm correct, you can make a "True-Balanced" DAC using that even though it only has 2 Channels.

Mar 16, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #107 of 1,429
I would say no to that. Why pay for a format that price gouges for minimal if any improvement and locks you into very specific hardware that will pass the licencing fees on to the end user.

If anything Fiio should put up a survey and see if people are willing to drop more money for MQA.
Are you a Tidal subscriber? I have two separate systems. one is just for listening to Tidal. I am an old man and I can hear the difference between the standard PCM music and the MQA tunes. I even bought an iFi Zen DAC for my beach home to be able to enjoy TIDAL. It was VERY expensive at $129 delivered.

Mar 16, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #108 of 1,429
Are you a Tidal subscriber? I have two separate systems. one is just for listening to Tidal. I am an old man and I can hear the difference between the standard PCM music and the MQA tunes. I even bought an iFi Zen DAC for my beach home to be able to enjoy TIDAL. It was VERY expensive at $129 delivered.
I see no point in suscribing to a service that doesnt have the songs that I want.

Good to know that you can hear a positive differance. Untill I can be shown otherwise ill stick to the lower res acc/mp3 that doesnt screw around with pitch shifting for streaming.

But really i woundnt be so anti mqa if it dont try to get its hands into the cd market.

Mar 16, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #109 of 1,429
I don't doubt your experience but it doesn't match mine. I ran an X5iii for a year or two and never had any issues with it, hardware or software. Wife is still running hers, same story. Maybe you were trying a lot of internet dependent things and that's why our experiences differ so greatly (I'm local files all the way). I see this kind of discrepancy with some people's issues with Fiio and also HiFiman (had a few cans from them, never had a QC problem) and it makes me wonder if somehow the Chinese market is getting different gear? I don't really think that's the case but find it hard to explain the gulf in reactions any other way.
Hello, no actually, I use my DAPs for local usage, no internet. The issues were mainly in FIIO Music and the Library database management along with how PAINFULLY slow the device is (without internet) - even my DX150 is faster. I use high resolution FLACs mostly, with a high capacity SD card (that can be the problem also, who knows?). At this point, it really does not matter, I moved on, this new device from them looks promising.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #110 of 1,429
After the K3 and K5Pro went on the market, we received a lot of planning consultations about more advanced desktop DAC&AMP K7. Some people care about the performance of the amp, and others care about the extended capabilities of the product. Indeed, in these two aspects, there are still many improvements when upgrade K5Pro to K7.
In order to make products that better meet your needs , we open the plan and look forward to your feedback.

Note:This picture is only a layout of K7 interface, not the ID concept.

Here are some features and configuration introductions:
1,K7 is not necessarily a flagship model
2,Built-in dual THX AAA AMP architecture and balanced headphone interface. Higher power output than K5 Pro
3,Xmos core, support 768k&DSD512 USB DAC and SPDIF input
4,LDAC Bluetooth receiver&BLE app control for more audio settings
5,AKM or ESS high performance audio DAC chip(TBD)

For other specifications or features you want, please suggest to us. You can also share your common use situation and your equipment.
use flagship dac either AKM or ESS SABRE Pro version and please use external power supply and all aluminum design

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #113 of 1,429
For all those who are asking for Chromecast/Google-cast
Bear in mind that Fiio is a Chinese company and a lot of their user base is in China. In simple terms, Chromecast is non-workable here (without a VPN on a router and that's very unstable IME). I'm not saying they won't do it, or can't do it and of course this is me hypothesising, not Fiio talking - but I suspect it may not be worth their time/effort/money in the long run. Apple Airplay, on the other hand, is not so restricted so there's a greater chance there....

On a separate note, when I am feeling satisfied with all my gear and telling myself I don't need anything else, Fiio are the absolute masters of whipping a cloth from the top of a new product, smiling beneficently and asking "have you seen this, though?". I don't need the K7 but I'm VERY interested....

Just when I thought I had found something

This!!!

Just add MQA support and i'll buy couple for home and office :)
Right??!!

Mar 25, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #115 of 1,429
Fiio, please consider making K7 op-amp rolling friendly, with both 2.5. and 4.4 balanced Headphone output, and when the headphone is in should cut the RCA out.
For budget desktop amp specially considering that this is a THX amp, op-amp rolling is not good thing to do as I thing. Because from THX amps we expect extremely clean sound without any coloration.
If such a feature is really necessary, that sort of "Not So Crucial" features (like MQA, Femto-Clocks, &etc.) should be moved to upcoming flagship models of K7.

Because this has "Low" gain mode and almost all THX amps have very low output impedance, Why add 2.5mm socket when we can simply use 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter.

Mar 25, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #116 of 1,429
As described above, can you accept external power adapter supply?
As long as it isn't a wall plug-in type, yes. The K5 pro PS type is somethng I can live with, but I still think the internal power supply route is the way to go for convenience.

Mar 27, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #119 of 1,429
Just supply high quality adapters in the package :
2.5 adaptor for 4.4 balanced
And a 3.5 adapter for the 6.35 unbalanced
So long as the signal is supplied balanced inherently to the XLR, 4.4 and the 6.35 outputs

Mar 28, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #120 of 1,429
that adapter is a monstruosity, plain and simple and could damage your device, it is an ongoing discussion on the E1DA forums (Power DAC V2 and 9038s, kind of boring but relevant about wiring and stuff)
3.5mm to 2.5mm are not that large. It could be true for XLR to 3.5/2.5mm or even 6.3mm to 2.5mm. But 3.5mm to 2.5mm not that big.
fuLuZ4H.jpg

Even if it is big deal as you say, why not use adapter with 2, 3inch wire?
sKcVkYw.jpg

Remember K7 is a DESKTOP budget amp, not a flagship, megabuck amp or PORTABLE amp to provide all the connectors in the world. Most of the desktop amps (even megabuck amps like HeadAmp GSX-mini) doesn't have ports used for portable earbuds,earphones like 2.5, 3.5trrs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back