FiiO K7/K7BT Desktop DAC&Headphone AMP Discussion | XLR Balance | Dual THX AAA | Xmos | ...
Mar 9, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #35 of 1,429
This question is really important:beerchug:
We have already started the initial design, so we try our best to finish the project this year

No need to rush. Make this rather perfect, than good only, higher end AKM 4497 or similar, proper clock and power amplification and it can be something :)

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #36 of 1,429
Relay based volume control would make it better than the other available options.
Haha. :)
The case has to been twice the size then, i think. ^^

Throw in whatever you can find on the bargain table. :ksc75smile:

Something magical will happen, i guess. ^^

Mar 9, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #37 of 1,429
Haha. :)
The case has to been twice the size then, i think. ^^

Throw in whatever you can find on the bargain table. :ksc75smile:

Something magical will happen, i guess. ^^
You don't need that much space, take a look to Schiit Saga, it increases the board size but it doesn't double it. They could add a secondary board on top of the main one to save space. My main issue with current THX amps is that they use cheap volume pots without low enough gain settings, the only THX amp that ensures channel balance at all volumes is crazy expensive (Benchmark HPA4).

Mar 9, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #38 of 1,429
Know the relay based volume control out of my R28 or the NFB 10.33.
OK. the space usage of the AGD's belongs to the power stage and on the R28 to the R2R dac.
Don't know another one till now. Thanks for the hint. :wink:

Mar 9, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #40 of 1,429
Which THX AAA version/model will this use? I hope it's THXAAA-888.
A version without the DAC will also be appreciated :)

Mar 9, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #41 of 1,429
Well here I was looking around for a desktop DAC/amp solution... might just wait until this comes out.

I’d agree with the suggestions for a 3.5mm socket, means you can take your headphones/earphones from on the go and plug them straight into your home set up. I love it on my current amp, the Arcam rHead.

I would also vote for AKM too, if only based on the slightly vague idea that the THX amps can sound a bit too dry/clinical/analytical but I love the way FiiO has done the M11 Pro (haven’t heard the Q5S THX combo). So maybe the AKM DAC or FiiO’s implementations of them help avoid the too-analytical feeling. An AK4499 would certainly raise eyebrows, or AK4497.

Mar 9, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #42 of 1,429
How about not putting in a five or six year old chip like the AK4490 or 4493. If you're going to consider ESS then turn it into a beast with dual 9038Pro chips. If SMSL can come up with a single chip dac/amp in the $300 ballpark this design shouldn't break the bank. I'm not trying to be negative, just pragmatic but considering that it's a Fiio how about if you guys do something really crazy and make sure it works the way it's supposed to when you release it instead of releasing it with broken gapless playback, stuttering because of some limitation with the chip platform that you used or the variety of things that every other device required a FW update to fix which takes months to be released.

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #43 of 1,429
I'm not trying to be negative....

Seems like you subscribe to "try not: do" school of thought.....

@FiiO Can you give us an idea of possible pricing? (In RMB and USD if I may be so bold!)

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #44 of 1,429
Dual AK4499 or Dual AK4497 would be the way to go for the DAC Chipset. Kudos to your Engineers @FiiO stellar work on the last few releases and listening to your customer base.

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #45 of 1,429
An additional output switch (similar to the input switch) for the output ports (XLR/4.4mm/6.35mm) would be nice to have, so you don't have to unplug, when connected to different headphones in parallel.
Adding output switches will make the circuit more complicated, and additional switches will also affect the sound quality.
So, I tend to judge the priority of the output port. For example, 4.4mm is the highest priority, followed by 6.35mm.
Of course, you can also set which output port has the highest priority through the app.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back