FiiO K5 || FiiO's docking desktop amp
Mar 16, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #496 of 744
Can anyone show me the pin-out for the Balanced Cable?

I have asked someone to custom make the cable but when I use with X5 Gen2, no sound comes out from my Amp

The cable is made using
Belden Star Quad 1804A Cable BLACK(2 Mtr) + Neutrik NC3MXX-B Gold XLR Male + Lumberg 3.5mm 4 Pole Male Connnector

I believe if you read carefully, only the X7 supports the balanced outputs

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #497 of 744
I believe if you read carefully, only the X7 supports the balanced outputs

Doesn't it also do the X5SG on balanced? Haven't tried though
EDIT: For better signal transmission: connect the X5II/X7 to the K5 through its docking connector, then output via the double3.5mm Balanced Line out port at the back of the K5 to a desktop amplifier/headphone amplifier that has an XLR input port.

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #498 of 744

EDIT: For better signal transmission: connect the X5II/X7 to the K5 through its docking connector, then output via the double3.5mm Balanced Line out port at the back of the K5 to a desktop amplifier/headphone amplifier that has an XLR input port.

i'm confused with the whole Balanced setup with the K5. If i understand correctly you can't plug in your balance headphone to the K5 and listen directly?  You have to cable out to another amplifier that allows you to plug in your balance headphones?  

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #499 of 744
i'm confused with the whole Balanced setup with the K5. If i understand correctly you can't plug in your balance headphone to the K5 and listen directly?  You have to cable out to another amplifier that allows you to plug in your balance headphones?  

Yes. Fiio never said it was a Headphone out.

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #500 of 744
Yes. Fiio never said it was a Headphone out.

I guess i got the wrong impression.  So the K5 is just a dock/bridge for the X7/DAP to another amp for a balance setup.  Quite disappointing. So i guess i'll have to buy another amp if I want to use balance headphones with the X7 acting as a DAC.  Not understanding the benefit of adding the K5. Why not just connect X7 to the balanced AMP and skip the middle K5 piece? Less clutter.

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #501 of 744
Understand the proprietary Micro USB 11 pin male to Micro USB 11 pin male cable will be launched by Fiio in April.

Mar 17, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #502 of 744

I've also read Balanced Out for X5II & X7

Mar 17, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #505 of 744
  I found a 5 pcs micro usb male to micro usb male cable for sale on Ebay. Will this be sufficient to connect my X7 to K5 through the micro usb ports.

Maybe not....Normal Micro USB got 5 pin config where 'Dock In' need 11 Pin to function (recognize as the player and pass though the sound) . - If the price is not too High you may buy one and check yourself.

It will defiantly start charging the X7 once you connect via 'Dock In' port at the back of K5 

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #506 of 744
What I basically wanted to say, in a much much shorter version was - What do you expect from K5? Do you need it? Does it make sense for your audio equipment? You know what are the feature of K5 - are they worth the money to you?

Finally - let's admit it - X7 docked in K5 just looks cool. It's very hard to resist buying it even though the SQ improvement may be subtle  :beerchug:

Is it possible to use the K5 purely as a dock only for the X7 and connect a tube amp to the K5 for the amplification part? This looks better than connecting the X7 directly to an OTL tube amp.

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #507 of 744
Is it possible to use the K5 purely as a dock only for the X7 and connect a tube amp to the K5 for the amplification part? This looks better than connecting the X7 directly to an OTL tube amp.

This is good question and the answer also interest me. I'd like to use K5 for its charging purposes, but use AM1 as amplifier since it sounds better to my ears AND there is noise when using K5.

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #508 of 744

Well you have to use line out to the tube amp which works.
However I find the K5 tends to cause a lot of interference when connected to tubes.
Works better just using line out from X7 into tube amp.

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #509 of 744
However I find the K5 tends to cause a lot of interference when connected to tubes.

Thanks for the answer but is this the only way? Have to admit it won't win any elegance awards lol

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #510 of 744

Thanks for the answer but is this the only way? Have to admit it won't win any elegance awards lol

I tested it this week with 3 different tube amps. No interference, hum or noise whatsoever :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back