FiiO K5 || FiiO's docking desktop amp
Mar 7, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #466 of 744
Does anyone have the Beyerdynamic DT880 premium (600 ohm model)? I am considering these but wondering if the K5 has the power and authority to drive them with ease?  Also for those with this pair combo or have the DT880 can you comment on the sound.  Thanks.

Mar 8, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #467 of 744
I will most likely demo K5 today, although I have 250Ohm Pro version of dt880 I'm very curious will there be any significant improvement over using just my lg g3 which already sounds great.

I tried E18 with my dt880 yesterday and I thought it sounded fuller than with only lg g3, A lot of perceived difference was probably due to more volume. Usually even without an amp the lg g3 sounds clean and has adequate volume for compressed music tho.

That's my main issue here as E18 costs almost the amount of what I paid for DT880. It's kind of ridiculous really, considering the real improvement you get is minor at best. (unless you're really hurting for more volume??)

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #468 of 744

It's my understanding that if you want to connect the X7 to the K5 via USB cable that you need a cable that supports a mini usb port of 11 pins on both ends of the cable. Does such a cable exist. If, not can you purchase an adapter to convert the standard USB to mini usb of 11 pins.

Thanks

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #469 of 744

It's my understanding that if you want to connect the X7 to the K5 via USB cable that you need a cable that supports a mini usb port of 11 pins on both ends of the cable. Does such a cable exist. If, not can you purchase an adapter to convert the standard USB to mini usb of 11 pins.

Thanks

This is a proprietary cable which provides an alternative way of connecting supported X-daps to K5 if they don't fit into a docking opening, like when you have a fancy case which you don't want to take off.  FiiO will be releasing this cable soon as an add-on accessory.

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #470 of 744

This is a proprietary cable which provides an alternative way of connecting supported X-daps to K5 if they don't fit into a docking opening, like when you have a fancy case which you don't want to take off.  FiiO will be releasing this cable soon as an add-on accessory.

Thanks for the info

Mar 9, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #471 of 744
Hi so the JDS O2 can provide 88mW if I paired it with the Beyerdynamics DT880 (600 ohm model).

DT-880s are rated 96 dB/mW at 600 ohms, so they need 79 mW of power to reach optimal performance.

Alternatively if one prefers to listen at extraordinary volumes, JDS has The Element (140 mW @ 600 ohms).

Question is what are the specs of the K5. Does it match the The Element ? I want to drive these DT880 to their full sonic potential in terms of quality and not so much in volume as I listen to my music at modest dB.

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #472 of 744
Hi so the JDS O2 can provide 88mW if I paired it with the Beyerdynamics DT880 (600 ohm model).

DT-880s are rated 96 dB/mW at 600 ohms, so they need 79 mW of power to reach optimal performance.

Alternatively if one prefers to listen at extraordinary volumes, JDS has The Element (140 mW @ 600 ohms).

Question is what are the specs of the K5. Does it match the The Element ? I want to drive these DT880 to their full sonic potential in terms of quality and not so much in volume as I listen to my music at modest dB.

It can do around 80mw at 600 ohms like an O2. Exactly how much power you get depends on the dac and the gain setting and the volume settings.

The power rating doesn't tell you anything about quality, just loudness. The dt 880 is 96db with 1mw, and 115db with 80mw. You usually want at least around 110db, in case you listen to something averaging -30db volume, so you will still be able to get that 80db average. -30db is sorta a worst case scenario, -10db I think is most typical nowadays. With that type of content, even 1mw will suffice. So you can see that there isn't really a hard cut off point. 110db is a good rule of thumb to make sure it is very unlikely that you will ever run out of volume, but it's not necessarily the end of the world if you have less.

Mar 10, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #473 of 744
  It can do around 80mw at 600 ohms like an O2. Exactly how much power you get depends on the dac and the gain setting and the volume settings.

The power rating doesn't tell you anything about quality, just loudness. The dt 880 is 96db with 1mw, and 115db with 80mw. You usually want at least around 110db, in case you listen to something averaging -30db volume, so you will still be able to get that 80db average. -30db is sorta a worst case scenario, -10db I think is most typical nowadays. With that type of content, even 1mw will suffice. So you can see that there isn't really a hard cut off point. 110db is a good rule of thumb to make sure it is very unlikely that you will ever run out of volume, but it's not necessarily the end of the world if you have less.

If I understand correctly pairing the DT880 600 ohm with K5 and X7, the volume knob will be turned up near it's upper limits around the approximate 90% range?  If anyone has this exact pairing I love to hear your comments.

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #474 of 744

If I understand correctly pairing the DT880 600 ohm with K5 and X7, the volume knob will be turned up near it's upper limits around the approximate 90% range?  If anyone has this exact pairing I love to hear your comments.

It should work. It looks like it's capable of doing over 110db with every dap/dac that docks except the x5 II, with high gain. And that's generally the standard people look for. 

Mar 11, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #475 of 744
Different ways of connecting FiiO K5 and X-series players & other common playing methods

1.Work as an exclusive docking amplifier for FiiO X-series players: connect the X1/X3II/X5II/X7 to the K5 through its docking connector.

2.Work as a desktop USB DAC amplifier: connect the X3II/X5II/X7/E17K in USB DAC mode (or in USB input mode for E17K) to the K5 through its docking connector, then connect the K5 to the computer with the supplied USB Type B cable.

3. Work as a pure desktop amplifier: connect your computer, phone, player or other audio source to the LINE IN of the K5 with a RCA audio cable.

4. For better signal transmission: connect the X5II/X7 to the K5 through its docking connector, then output via the double 3.5mm Balanced Line out port at the back of the K5 to a desktop amplifier/headphone amplifier that has an XLR input port.

5. For music file transfer: connect the X1/X3II/X5II/X7 in USB Storage mode (not required for the X1) to the K5 through its docking connector, then connect the K5 to the computer via USB and transfer music files from the computer to the player directly.

Below image shows the two common ways of how to connect the K5.

Notes:

1. The DOCK IN port at the back of the K5 has the same function of the docking connector. It’s designed for the situation where the player cannot be connected properly through the docking connector when wearing a clear plastic case or leather case (the stickers will not matter).

2. The K5 itself has no decoding function. But when docked with a FiiO player (X3II/X5II/X7) or E17K, it can help connect the player/DAC to the computer via USB, while the player/DAC works as a decoder and transfer the decoded signals to the K5 for amplification. On Windows system, you need to install the FiiO USB DAC driver before using a X-series player as DAC. There’s no driver required for Mac OS or Linux system (but please make sure to set the player as default output device in the “sound preference settings” after the connection).

And no matter how you connect the K5, remember to always power the K5 with the supplied power adapter. It's recommended to firstly connect the adapter to the Power In port of the K5 before plugging it to an AC Power outlet.

More playing methods to be discovered. Buy one now to start the exploration!

List of the authorized FiiO sellers: http://fiio.net/en/stores

Different ways of connecting FiiO K5 and X-series players:

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 11, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #476 of 744
  Different ways of connecting FiiO K5 and X-series players & other common playing methods

1.Work as an exclusive docking amplifier for FiiO X-series players: connect the X1/X3II/X5II/X7 to the K5 through its docking connector.

2.Work as a desktop USB DAC amplifier: connect the X3II/X5II/X7/E17K in USB DAC mode (or in USB input mode for E17K) to the K5 through its docking connector, then connect the K5 to the computer with the supplied USB Type B cable.

3. Work as a pure desktop amplifier: connect your computer, phone, player or other audio source to the LINE IN of the K5 with a RCA audio cable.

4. For better signal transmission: connect the X5II/X7 to the K5 through its docking connector, then output via the double 3.5mm Balanced Line out port at the back of the K5 to a desktop amplifier/headphone amplifier that has an XLR input port.

5. For music file transfer: connect the X1/X3II/X5II/X7 in USB Storage mode (not required for the X1) to the K5 through its docking connector, then connect the K5 to the computer via USB and transfer music files from the computer to the player directly.

Below image shows the two common ways of how to connect the K5.

Notes:

1. The DOCK IN port at the back of the K5 has the same function of the docking connector. It’s designed for the situation where the player cannot be connected properly through the docking connector when wearing a clear plastic case or leather case (the stickers will not matter).

2. The K5 itself has no decoding function. But when docked with a FiiO player (X3II/X5II/X7) or E17K, it can help connect the player/DAC to the computer via USB, while the player/DAC works as a decoder and transfer the decoded signals to the K5 for amplification. On Windows system, you need to install the FiiO USB DAC driver before using a X-series player as DAC. There’s no driver required for Mac OS or Linux system (but please make sure to set the player as default output device in the “sound preference settings” after the connection).

And no matter how you connect the K5, remember to always power the K5 with the supplied power adapter. It's recommended to firstly connect the adapter to the Power In port of the K5 before plugging it to an AC Power outlet.

More playing methods to be discovered. Buy one now to start the exploration!

List of the authorized FiiO sellers: http://fiio.net/en/stores

Different ways of connecting FiiO K5 and X-series players:

Nice Guide except you have mentioned in your Notes about Dock In Port at the back. How is that to be used without a proper 11 pin male to 11 pin male micro USB cable.

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #477 of 744
Originally Posted by ****zu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Nice Guide except you have mentioned in your Notes about Dock In Port at the back. How is that to be used without a proper 11 pin male to 11 pin male micro USB cable.

magic, patience, and an additional fee?

EDIT: holy ****. your username gets wordfiltered. that's epic.

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #478 of 744

Yes patience is the word. 
I too have been seeing my name being word filtered. I have written to the moderators to look into it.

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #479 of 744
Originally Posted by ****zu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes patience is the word. 
I too have been seeing my name being word filtered. I have written to the moderators to look into it.

Maybe you need to change your screen name to Schiitzu?
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #480 of 744

Users who are viewing this thread

Back