[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
May 25, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #106 of 1,922
Those picture comparisons are very useful for those who are geographically unable to compare the twos...

Would you guys say that after all the FH7 has a less prominent bass than the FA7? I was happy to find that the FA7 has the right amount of treble for my ears, and if the FH7 does have more than ``sparkly`` high sometimes, i would just be happy to stick on the FA7 on the long term...

May 25, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #107 of 1,922
Something to note is that I took the grills off the FH5, which helps quite a bit. I want to go back and test a few bass tracks between them though, as I think that is where the most improvement might be.

I'd say it's an upgrade, but I tend to be conservative in my impressions until I am sure what I'm hearing.

I compared with the FA7 though with a bunch of different tracks. Overall, the FH7 sounded MUCH clearer. With the FA7, the sound was always smooth and more of a blob in the middle, more muffled. The FH7 was more open, airy, dynamic, detailed, and really shoves instruments and vocals in your face. Bass detail is great. The treble can be too much though. I tried my best to find tips that toned down the treble, and went with my usual go-to, the Final Type E.

Interesting. Soundstage?

May 26, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #108 of 1,922
Those picture comparisons are very useful for those who are geographically unable to compare the twos...

Would you guys say that after all the FH7 has a less prominent bass than the FA7? I was happy to find that the FA7 has the right amount of treble for my ears, and if the FH7 does have more than ``sparkly`` high sometimes, i would just be happy to stick on the FA7 on the long term...

Depends which bass you are talking about. I think the FA7 has more mid-bass, but the dynamic driver IEMs can go lower into the deep bass. I use When I Get My Hands on You by The New Basement Tapes to test this. It starts with a low bass rumble. Most IEMs reproduce it, but not strongly. The FH7, on the other hand, really brings that out, and with texture as well. A more common track is Angel by Massive Attack. That's totally in FH7 territory.

Interesting. Soundstage?

IEMs don't have soundstage. You can fake it somewhat with the tuning, and better detail/instrument separation/etc. will give you more of a sense of it, but I don't like using the term with IEMs.

May 26, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #109 of 1,922

Is it perceivably as wide as the FH5 then? And what of the mids - still forward like the FH5 or more tempered?

May 26, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #112 of 1,922
I compared with the FA7 though with a bunch of different tracks. Overall, the FH7 sounded MUCH clearer. With the FA7, the sound was always smooth and more of a blob in the middle, more muffled. The FH7 was more open, airy, dynamic, detailed, and really shoves instruments and vocals in your face. Bass detail is great. The treble can be too much though. I tried my best to find tips that toned down the treble, and went with my usual go-to, the Final Type E.

The FH7 its better than the new canpfire polaris?

May 26, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #117 of 1,922
My daily pair is the Shure SE846 which I’ve had and enjoyed for 6 years. Is there a good reason for me to look at the FH7?

May 26, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #119 of 1,922
I'd put it a bit on the bright side, but it is not as all if the bass or mids are at all being held back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back