[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
May 23, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #76 of 1,922
definitely. I would gladly shell out a few hundred more to maintain the balance of the FH5 yet achieve more definition, layering, soundstage, air. I find the FH5 excellent! There's always more though... lol. I tried the andro's briefly in a search to up my game from the LZ A4's which were my go-to's before the FH5. The andro's sounded fab. Vocal definition was shockingly good. They've always been out of reach financially; and then the Solaris came along and has really been my dream since then, lol. I'd love to try those!!
That’s only IF there’s more definition, layering, soundstage, air... and how much of it there is. I’m keen to hear if the mids have been pulled back a bit without turning the FH7 into a v-shaped IEM (which the FH5 is not).

May 23, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #77 of 1,922
That’s only IF there’s more definition, layering, soundstage, air... and how much of it there is. I’m keen to hear if the mids have been pulled back a bit without turning the FH7 into a v-shaped IEM (which the FH5 is not).

Yes right. I personally like the balance of the FH5, it took me a little while to get used to that upper mid forwardness, but boy, it really "clicked" when it clicked, so to speak :)

May 23, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #78 of 1,922
These have turned out to be very nice. Just about right for me with a good kick in the bass and sparkle in the treble without overdoing it. I'm hearing a lot of detail and great dynamics. I'm enjoying these a lot. I tried them with FiiO's silver cable too, but that made them too bright.

Which filter were you using? Because it might be worth trying the bass filters if you have not yet done so. I switched to the bass filter with the stock cable because the reference filter was touching a little on my treble sensitivity after which I also tried the silver cable and that seemed to work very well based on my first impression.

May 23, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #79 of 1,922
Which filter were you using? Because it might be worth trying the bass filters if you have not yet done so. I switched to the bass filter with the stock cable because the reference filter was touching a little on my treble sensitivity after which I also tried the silver cable and that seemed to work very well based on my first impression.

Likewise! It seems the bass filter only changes the filtering over what I presume is the treble-BA drivers that are the most physically forward. By the usual logic, narrower-nozzle tips should increase the bass significantly, but they don't seem to the way the bass driver is set up internally. For example, I put Spiral Dot tips on and there was still plenty of bass.

I'll do an FH5 comparison tomorrow when I'm more awake.

May 23, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #81 of 1,922
by Any chance you have demo/ try the Rai Penta? if so any Idea how they compare ?
Rai Pentas are my current white whale. I'd love to hear just about anything compared to them.

May 23, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #88 of 1,922
My review units landed yesterday as well. Here's the FH7 (silent) unboxing:

Amos, do you still have the fa7 or the fh5 with you for comparison? I'd love to know what you think about the fit/comfort of these vs the fa7.

The nozzle on the fh7 is longer/deeper than the fh5 nozzle, right? Would you say it is as long as the fa7?

Your fa7 vs fh5 video that you made was very useful to illustrate the fit difference between those two iems, it'd be really helpful if you could do something similar with the fh7 comparing it to both the fh7 and the fh5.

May 24, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #89 of 1,922
That's a very good point about the nozzles.

I'm doing a quick comparison between the FH5 and FH7 from the M11. It's a bit tricky as there is a FR change, so while I feel there is at least a bit more detail and refinement from the FH7, it does have a brighter treble, even with the bass filter installed in the FH7, and grills removed from the tips of both. My impression is that the FH7 is a bit more V-shaped, which makes me a bit cautious about suggesting it is more resolving. There were a couple of points on Short Tales Of The Black Forest where I didn't like the sound of the higher guitar notes on the FH5, but they sounded good on the FH7, despite it being brighter. It makes the track sound wider, whereas the FH5 has a feeling like it is more closed-in. I switched to the Hugo 2 to double-check this (also giving me a chance to compare the M11).

Overall though, even if some of it is a result of FR changes, I feel that the FH7 has a better overall delivery, including a bit more detail, though it is a bit on the bright side and the treble is still very "balanced armature treble".

I measured the nozzles of both at 6mm, but the flange on the FH5 makes them a bit wider overall, and harder to put tips on. I think maybe the knurling on the filters of the FH7 makes them easier to put tips on. The FH7 is slightly larger overall, but the nozzle may insert slightly deeper as a result of the different shape of the neck below it.
. FiiO FH5 FH7-IMG_2782-2.jpgFiiO FH5 FH7-IMG_2783-2.jpgFiiO FH5 FH7-IMG_2777-2.jpgFiiO FH5 FH7-IMG_2779-2.jpg

Last edited:
May 24, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #90 of 1,922
That's a very good point about the nozzles.

I'm doing a quick comparison between the FH5 and FH7 from the M11. It's a bit tricky as there is a FR change, so while I feel there is at least a bit more detail and refinement from the FH7, it does have a brighter treble, even with the bass filter installed in the FH7, and grills removed from the tips of both. My impression is that the FH7 is a bit more V-shaped, which makes me a bit cautious about suggesting it is more resolving. There were a couple of points on Short Tales Of The Black Forest where I didn't like the sound of the higher guitar notes on the FH5, but they sounded good on the FH7, despite it being brighter. It makes the track sound wider, whereas the FH5 has a feeling like it is more closed-in. I switched to the Hugo 2 to double-check this (also giving me a chance to compare the M11).

Overall though, even if some of it is a result of FR changes, I feel that the FH7 has a better overall delivery, including a bit more detail, though it is a bit on the bright side and the treble is still very "balanced armature treble".

I measured the nozzles of both at 6mm, but the flange on the FH5 makes them a bit wider overall, and harder to put tips on. I think maybe the knurling on the filters of the FH7 makes them easier to put tips on. The FH7 is slightly larger overall, but the nozzle may insert slightly deeper as a result of the different shape of the neck below it.
Great impressions as always. Looks like the FH5 is holding its own, especially since the FH7 is almost twice the price! Any thoughts on the mid-forwardness of the FH5 compared to the FH7? You mention the FH7 is more v-shaped, so does that mean the mids are more recessed compared to the FH5? And in your opinion, how does the Andromeda compare to both? (Price difference taken into account).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back