[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Aug 20, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #1,067 of 1,922
Sorry, of those I only have the FH7, so I can’t make that comparison.
Thanks for the reply. Anyway, have you ever tried the se100? I have a set budget of $1000ish to upgrade my lgv40+fh7 and I don't know if I should go for a dap. Or a small amp and get some new iems. I've read that the mojo for instance is very very close to the se100, so I guess new iems would be a bigger improvement. :)

Aug 20, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #1,068 of 1,922
@JaZZ
Now there must be some misunderstanding of what flat is.
I urge you to go to a live performance and make some measurements with a mic.
There is no way that what you are hearing is flat.
Flat is the same amplitude from 20Hz to 20KHz.
I will be glad to point me to a hall around the world were this happens.

Aug 20, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #1,070 of 1,922
@JaZZ
There's indeed a misunderstanding. Music is not flat – every instrument has its individual characteristic. The same applies to concert halls. Now the task of the recording equipment is to capture these characteristics as accurately as possible – which requires a 100% flat transfer function from the microphones to the sound transducers..

Aug 20, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #1,071 of 1,922
Now we are talking.
But there is no recording expect some were this happens.
Everything is engineered at the various stages of the production with the purpose of sounding natural and life like with commercial speakers at our homes.
So we are talking that we are deviating from flatness just from the beginning till the end.
So here is were this audio journey starts and sometimes never ends.

If reproducing music accurately at our homes was so simple as transferring a live performance as flat as it gets it would very simple.
Flat mics , flat console , flat post production, flat electronics , flat speakers or headphones and we are sitting at our sofa hearing the real thing.
But alas it isn't that simple.

Aug 20, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #1,072 of 1,922
Thanks for the reply. Anyway, have you ever tried the se100? I have a set budget of $1000ish to upgrade my lgv40+fh7 and I don't know if I should go for a dap. Or a small amp and get some new iems. I've read that the mojo for instance is very very close to the se100, so I guess new iems would be a bigger improvement. :)

Is it for one room maily or are you looking for a DAP for out and about?

Aug 20, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #1,073 of 1,922
Now we are talking.
But there is no recording expect some were this happens.
Everything is engineered at the various stages of the production with the purpose of sounding natural and life like with commercial speakers at our homes.
So we are talking that we are deviating from flatness just from the beginning till the end.
So here is were this audio journey starts and sometimes never ends.

If reproducing music accurately at our homes was so simple as transferring a live performance as flat as it gets it would very simple.
Flat mics , flat console , flat post production, flat electronics , flat speakers or headphones and we are sitting at our sofa hearing the real thing.
But alas it isn't that simple.
Hey, no, it isn't simple at all. Some recordings are indeed trimmed for a certain category of playback devices (at least that's what I've heard or read), although I don't feel concerned with the music I listen to (no hip-hop and the like), moreover I cultivate the hobby of sound editing – which has primarily developed on the basis of the need for crossfeed, also on the go, not just with hardware that has it built in, and I'm getting more and more sensitive to tonal flaws in the recordings, even good ones... However, basically the goal of a recording is to convey the original sound to the listener, and there's no sense in postulating coloring sound transducer – to make sure that you won't recognize what has actually been recorded.

Where I more or less agree with you is the experience that the FH7 has enough bass, particularly low bass. A little correction doesn't hurt, though:

X3 II EQ curve for FH7 (FiiO foam tips, Lavri silver cable).jpg

That's now with the Lavricables Reference Silver cable and freshly washed Dekoni «Bulletz» foam tips.

Aug 21, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #1,074 of 1,922
@JaZZ
Agree everyone has there own opinion. But i don't think those 2 were so intent on buying the Solaris. If they were so intent to buying it they would have walked away with one. Its like people buying cars, if they are so intent on buying the car they want say a S class Mercedes no cars is going to fill that void while someone looking for the same comfort, class, gadgets (etc.) may be happier with a Lexus LS with more money in there pockets.

Audio is subjective so to each there own. This is why i never recommend the Solaris to anyone, I may praise them but never recommend. I do however recommend the FH7 because at the price point you have a hard time finding that same sound signature unless you go well past 2x the price.

Also I have the FH5 as well and I don't recommend the FH7 as a upgrade for them. There sounds are too different from one another. You'll be surprise about the amount of people "intent" on buying a FH7 and walking away with the FH5. To each there own.
What do you reckon would make a bigger upgrade over my LG v40+fh7? Getting an AK se100 to use with the FH7 or getting a Solaris and using it with something like a Dragonfly cobalt or fiio m11? :)

Aug 21, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #1,075 of 1,922
What do you reckon would make a bigger upgrade over my LG v40+fh7? Getting an AK se100 to use with the FH7 or getting a Solaris and using it with something like a Dragonfly cobalt or fiio m11? :)
Getting a FiiO M11. The synergy between FH7 and M11 is exceptional.

Aug 21, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #1,076 of 1,922
Yes, well I had an M11. The se sounded just like the v40 and the balanced hissed. The hiss wasn't that bad, but I could hear it through music, it have everything a harsh sound. I could have bought an iematch 2.5, but I thought the overall presentation was a little too dry. This way I concluded I should get a different dap.

Aug 21, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #1,078 of 1,922
Yes, well I had an M11. The se sounded just like the v40 and the balanced hissed. The hiss wasn't that bad, but I could hear it through music, it have everything a harsh sound. I could have bought an iematch 2.5, but I thought the overall presentation was a little too dry. This way I concluded I should get a different dap.
The problem wasn’t the dap, it was your IEMs. Like I said, M11 and FH7 were made for each other. Zero hiss and a totally engaging sound.

Aug 21, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #1,079 of 1,922
How does the FH7 compare to CA Andromeda.
In my experience:

FH7 has better and bigger bass (especially sub bass). Andromeda has smoother (more crystalline?) highs. Mids are on par.

Build quality is excellent on both. Andromeda ships with a balanced cable as standard, FH7 is more comfortable (for my ears anyway).

On the whole I’d say SQ, build etc. are on par, through I prefer the FH7’s tuning. Quite remarkable given the price difference.

PS. Andromeda is very amp-sensitive, so will hiss on many sources. Much harder to match up than the FH7, and a poor match will ruin the sound. It’s a bit like the HD800 that way.

Aug 21, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #1,080 of 1,922
However, I
The problem wasn’t the dap, it was your IEMs. Like I said, M11 and FH7 were made for each other. Zero hiss and a totally engaging sound.
I was using my fh7 with both the LG and the m11 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back