FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Jul 15, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #436 of 2,258
Brooko’s own frequency-domain response measurements of the FH5 didn’t show any screen-related frequency dependence, though he did report an 0.1 dB difference in overall gain (if memory serves).

Perhaps transient response measurements might reveal a difference. Has anyone done CSD measurements (which add a time axis to the plots) on IEMs and looked at the effect of various grilles?

It is a clear difference for me. I would rec anyone to try it and decide for themselves.

Jul 15, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #437 of 2,258
James @FiiO: Am wondering why the decision to put a screen on the FH5 instead of leaving the sound tubes open?

We are worry about that something will go into the tube.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 15, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #438 of 2,258
I can’t speak for FiiO on this, but I can imagine the increased difficulty of removing ear wax from discrete sound tubes would be a factor for me.
I can say that I have yet to hear a difference between Comply tips with and without the WaxGuard screens, in general.

Brooko’s own frequency-domain response measurements of the FH5 didn’t show any screen-related frequency dependence, though he did report an 0.1 dB difference in overall gain (if memory serves).

Perhaps transient response measurements might reveal a difference. Has anyone done CSD measurements (which add a time axis to the plots) on IEMs and looked at the effect of various grilles?

Hmm? Well, none of the customs I own have a screen over the tubes openings, and I never had a problem with wax clogging those phones up. That's what those tools are for. People should keep their audio investments clean (like cleaning a weapon after hitting the range). Regular maintenance should prevent wax buildup.

Jul 15, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #439 of 2,258
Yikes!
Detailed, sure. I remember them. At the same time, unforgiving. Brutal, murderous.

They are quite hot in the treble, true, I used them as an example of another Fiio product with Knowles BA. I do enjoy them though, with a little EQ they are great. Either way it doesn't really matter, from all the IEMs I own, including headphones that are quite subdued in the treble, the FH1 is the worst performer at reproducing that sound. If that's the case with the FH5 too it'll be a pass from me as I found the FH1 lacking in tonality and excitement in the cymbals.

Jul 15, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #441 of 2,258
I for one like the screens on all my earphones to protect from ear wax. I asked the question because this is my first iem with visible multi sound tubes, and some member/members have said that most high end multiple sound tube iems are screenless??

True, The JH Audio Angie - I own - is a multi-sound tubes universal iem. There is no screen over it. I've owned it for over two years now with no issues of wax getting inside. the screens on this iem are really easy to take off and put back on. I think the member who tried listening without the screens may have a valid point of the earphone sounding better without it.

Jul 15, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #442 of 2,258
We already know that humans can't differentiate a 0.1dB change in volume - yet instruments can, and can do it easily. So "apparently" the FH5 benefits from a silver cable - yet we can't hear it (by inference) - tells me all I need to know. I'll pass on the silver cables.

The SQ is a very complex issues, at least it includes human psychological factor and it is a very very big topic, the specification say something but they are not everything,

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 15, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #443 of 2,258
Hmm? Well, none of the customs I own have a screen over the tubes openings, and I never had a problem with wax clogging those phones up. That's what those tools are for. People should keep their audio investments clean (like cleaning a weapon after hitting the range). Regular maintenance should prevent wax buildup.

Pretty much this.

I was having issue with sound and the other 3 triple bores i have are not screened so i took em off the FH5. I clean my ears and keep my gear in good condition. Not an issue.

Jul 15, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #446 of 2,258
I just recently demo’d the new Final Audio E5000 and it’s very competitive for $299 despite being a single dynamic.

I will see how the FH5 stacks up with the E5000, ER4XR/SR series, AKG N40, Massdrop Plus, Campfire Novas/Comets and DUNU DN-2000 when it arrives at my local retailer next week.

To be honest, FH5 vs E5000 vs IT04 is going to be extremely heated :)

As for Ety IEMs, they tend to be their own thing, I think that comfort on either of the IEMs above will be more comfortable compared to the deep-fit of Ety IEMs.

Jul 15, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #448 of 2,258
the difference is too small to detect by the instrument we used.

After experimenting the new Meze Silver Cable for their Meze 99 Classics Headphones, which I liked quite a bit, I am curious how the silver cables for FH5 would work :)

There is no scientific proof that a € 100 cable produces better sound than a € 10 cable.
It is like believing that a food of € 100 per kilogram is more nutritious than a € 10 per kilogram.

To be honest, I am trying to lose weight, so I'd rather buy food that has less macro nutrients than more :)

This is something I should comment for, even if for a little.

I am taking extreme care of my ears, but my old IE8 still clogged. IT isn't a bit of wax at once, it is repeated usage with small debris, even dust, which can clog the tubes. Even people who are overly clean can have issues with this. The thing is, after my IE8 clogged, I was able to use a toothbrush and brush its metallic mesh, then they were back to new.

I haven't tried to take off the screen of FH5 to see if it makes a different yet, if it makes, then the real answer would be trying to use a better screen which won't make issues.

Not using a screen would mean assuming that all users are incredibly careful and clean with their equipment, and when you sell as much as FiiO, it is best to not assume that. The price of FH5 makes it quite accessible that a lot of people who are not hardcore listeners will get one, if they don't clean and don't practice caution, then it is basically an accident waiting to happen. Of course, when you own a 1K Custom you pretty much read the book on how to clean it, but if FH5 is made for a large public, having some kind of protection might be a really good idea. Since I do not know yet how much of a difference having the screens make, I will not comment more, but an even better solution would be to have the screens detachable :)

Jul 15, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #449 of 2,258
To be honest, FH5 vs E5000 vs IT04 is going to be extremely heated :)

As for Ety IEMs, they tend to be their own thing, I think that comfort on either of the IEMs above will be more comfortable compared to the deep-fit of Ety IEMs.

FH5 vs. MD+ vs. E5000 vs. Comets would be a good battle =P

Given IT04’s price and its past performance/price ratio of its IEMs, I would it expect it to trump the above listed pretty easily.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #450 of 2,258
So today I noticed the FH5 are tip dependent. Fiio provides 4 sets of tips. All of the sets of tips have different size bores depending on the type of sound you prefer. So a bit of a tuning aspect using tips. Narrow 2mm tips for vocal centric sound, about 3mm for balanced and 4mm for bass..I tried all 3 tips and the changes are subtle at best but to be honest I didn't use anything that came with them. Haven't tried the foams that came with them yet.

Settled for a double flange wide bore tip I believe they are brainwavz variety. Can't say tips will have this much influence on the sound of the FH5 for any of you guys as they do for me but. None of the included tips maximizes the sound for me like this particular double flange tip. For one they elongate the sound that is coming out of the 3 bores in the nozzle. Deeper insertion. This seems to make the sound coming out of the FH5 jive better for me.

What I am hearing now. Combination of a upgraded cable and the tip here and I have me a very enjoyable musical full bodied sound coming out of the FH5. I suppose guys have to be good with a bit of vocal forwardness but it don't sound shouty or disjointed, if anything it sounds engaging. Balancing is still there and I get it all. That low hitting full bass end. Smooth sounding vocals with clean instrument placement in the back ground. Speed metal sounds great due to the BAs being fast. Has them crunchy guitars. Bass is surprisingly agile too. The more I am getting to know these the more I am enjoying them.

They have their own sound vs something like the IT04. Differently tuned earphones from different companies and to be honest. I like me a bit of variety. It is refreshing not hearing yet another V shaped earphone in both the FH5 and the IT04.

These are not a neutral signature. You do have to like you some deep hitting bass, a mid range that does not take a step back and treble that is clean yet not overly done for the sake of faking a high end sound. They do provide the one aspect I always look for in an earphone. They are engaging to listen to and if that is worth your money. I say go for it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back