FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Jul 12, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #376 of 2,258
FH5-1.jpg Fh5-2.jpg

Jul 12, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #377 of 2,258
So let me say this off the back, to my ears these aren't lacking bass at all. There is plenty of visceral bass (including sub-bass) if it's in your recording. I would say there's more and deeper bass than in my beloved ME.1 (which you can pull some good bass out of that planar with the right fit), but if you're looking for a "basshead" earphone, this is not what you're looking for. the sound is more balanced. Here's the thing, there are four types (or sets) of ear tips in the beautiful packaging. One says "balanced ear tips" and another one says "vocals ear tips". I noticed that those two sets have narrow openings. The bass ear tips set have a wider tip opening. I didn't try any of them yet. No, I went straight to one of my good and reliable tips (the wide bore UE900 silicone tips ... the other one is my JVC Spiral Dots). The bass is pouring out with these tips! No issues with bass (I'm listening to the Lenny Kravitz Are You Gonna Go My Way album.

The other early observation about this earphone with initial impressions is that it's tuned more as an in-ear monitor than just a fun earphone. What does that mean? Well, to me that mean that the soundstage puts your closer to the stage and musicians. It almost like you're in the front row or in the studio with the musicians. So the sound is forward, but it's not an annoying forwardness. And I certainly don't hear the vocals as being pushed annoying more forward than the rest of the instruments. The instrument separation in this iem is spectacular!!! Even with the deep bass, this iem clearly focus on the mids and vocals with lots of transparency and clarity. For me, I need to burn it in to see how much the bass will change, but I have to say that I recommend right off that back that new buyers tip roll. I think sometimes we forget how much tips can shape the sound of an earphone.

On first listen does this iem punch above its $250 something price point? Heck yes! Without a doubt, Fiio has a winner here (I bought these with my own money, so no one can claim I'm in Fiio's pocket, and I would no doubt tell you if I hate them). I don't have the LZ A5s with me, but I don't need it to tell you that the FH5 surpasses it in clarity and resolution (and I'm very hyped on the LZ A5).

I do, however, have the AKG N5005 with me. Does the FH5 equal or surpass the N5005? LOL... I know some of you want that answer (and hope that it can surpass the AKG TOTL). Okay, if I'm going to be honest (and I am always that), no, the FH5 doesn't surpass the N5005 at this point. The AKG has a clarity and digs down to pull up micro details like very few other earphones I've heard that didn't have too harsh of highs (and it's bordering on that harshness without going there). Plus, the N5005 has some of the best clean deep bass I've heard in an earphone. But..... the FH5 is not super far behind the N5005. It sounds very good (great for the price). It pulls out details too that you don't find in most iems at this price range. Kudos to Fiio for a fantastic job! Now let me get to burning it in to see what all it will reveal to me. II had to write fast as I'm on break and wanted to give the community some initial impressions. I'll come back and clean up in editing later. Happy listening!

Jul 12, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #378 of 2,258
A couple of other quick thoughts:

- The soundstage is not claustrophobic by any stretch of the imagination. But if you're used to a superwide soundstage, this iem is not that.

- This iem is very easy to drive as compared to something like the AKG N5005. I am listening through my Shanling M3s and I had to turn the DAP down significantly from the level I play my N5005 at (from like 76 to 48).

Jul 12, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #379 of 2,258

- The soundstage is not claustrophobic by any stretch of the imagination. But if you're used to a superwide soundstage, this iem is not that.

- This iem is very easy to drive as compared to something like the AKG N5005. I am listening through my Shanling M3s and I had to turn the DAP down significantly from the level I play my N5005 at (from like 76 to 48).

Thanks for taking the time to give us your impressions...just one quick question would you describe them as warm or bright sounding?

Jul 12, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #380 of 2,258
Thanks for taking the time to give us your impressions...just one quick question would you describe them as warm or bright sounding?

Not bright, but nowhere near warm. I would say cool-ish. To get that clarity and details, the highs have to be tuned well, but it's not harsh to my ears (I can't stand harsh highs), although it seems it could be tilted that way. Now, let me remind you that I'm using my preferred tips. I have not used any of the stock tips; so I don't know what those do to the highs yet.

Jul 12, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #381 of 2,258

How is the fit?

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #382 of 2,258
Not bright, but nowhere near warm. I would say cool-ish. To get that clarity and details, the highs have to be tuned well, but it's not harsh to my ears (I can't stand harsh highs), although it seems it could be tilted that way. Now, let me remind you that I'm using my preferred tips. I have not used any of the stock tips; so I don't know what those do to the highs yet.
So you're saying these ain't WarmRichSmooth?
aSVjtu7.png

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #383 of 2,258
I don't know what warm/rich/smooth is.

The fit is excellent in my ears. The shells are beautiful and help to keep the right-fitting tips in place. I detected no movement. My ears are neither big or small, but I usually use large ear tips.

Jul 12, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #385 of 2,258
I can do that in the weekend (compare to Sirius)

Jul 12, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #386 of 2,258
So a person who like forward and full bodied vocals and a gentle/polite bass a 3D like presentation can love FH5 , right ,???

Get an flc8s -- has everything you described except the full bodied part. I haven't heard the 8n though.

Wonder what can be said about the timbre in the new fiio hybrid...

Jul 12, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #387 of 2,258
Get an flc8s -- has everything you described except the full bodied part. I haven't heard the 8n though., better build (fact)

Wonder what can be said about the timbre in the new fiio hybrid...
Cheaper, better fit (subjective), better build (fact), much better cable than the FLC8S. Both have a forward mid-range, and although the FLC8S has tuning options - the mid-range between 1- 3kHz is unfortunately one area the tuning doesn't touch.

Personally - if you like the default sig of the FH5 - or are prepared to EQ slightly - I see no advantage to the FLC8S.

Jul 12, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #388 of 2,258
Cheaper, better fit (subjective), better build (fact), much better cable than the FLC8S. Both have a forward mid-range, and although the FLC8S has tuning options - the mid-range between 1- 3kHz is unfortunately one area the tuning doesn't touch.

Personally - if you like the default sig of the FH5 - or are prepared to EQ slightly - I see no advantage to the FLC8S.

Anyone can eq their gear (any gear) really and baby them if needed. Thanks for the 2 cents captain ;p

Jul 12, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #390 of 2,258
I'm seriously thinking of getting these when they come to Amazon (hopefully next week). I'd like to get a 2.5 mm balanced cable to go with them. The new LC cables on the Fiio website seem intended to match the FH5, but do not appear to be available yet. Any idea when/if they will be available on Amazon or otherwise in the US? Failing availability of these cables in the near term, am I correct in assuming that the RC-MMCX balanced cables, which are compatible with the other Fiio IEMs using MMCX connectors and are available on Amazon) will work with the FH5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back