FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Jan 15, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #1,651 of 2,258
I think it is a valid point to ask if there is any sound change with the longer nozzle design of the black FH5.
Given how even the slightest change in tip size/fit changes the sound of the original FH5 I can only think that there has to be a change with a different nozzle design, even if it’s a small change. Hopefully @FiiO can confirm this for us. Look forward to side-by-side impressions and measurements of the two FH5 models, and keenly wait to see what the FH7 will bring to the table.

Jan 15, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #1,652 of 2,258
I am thinking about getting the FH5 to compliment my Andromedas for when I want to throw them in my bag and for when I take my dog on a walk and not have to worry as much if they break. (My Andromedas never leave home)
Plus from Currowong’s review on YouTube he said the cable doesn’t have any microphonics which is a plus since an aftermarket cable on an IEM at this price is not worth it.

I am wondering what is the best price anyone has seen these sold for on sale on a reputable site? I see these at $259 but if these occasionally go on sale I might keep on eye out for a month or two to get them cheaper.

Jan 15, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #1,653 of 2,258
I would think fiio has a responsibility to say more than just the color change to the fh5. If other changes have been made, fiio needs to make these changes clear to the consumer.

I am surprised that fiio would announce a color change and leave out more important information such as design changes or upgrades. To write the fh5 has been 'optimized' is too ambiguous.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #1,655 of 2,258
It's not the length of the nozzle that matters, it is the distance from the base of the nozzle to the part of the shell that comes in contact with your crus helix; this directly determines how far the tip can go. FH5 = 1 mm, FA7 = 4.55 mm. See Post #275 in the FA7 thread.

crus_helix_FH5_FA7.jpg

Jan 15, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #1,657 of 2,258
I very much like the fh5 and plan to keep and use it along with fa7 and the sony mdr-1am2.

The fh5 needed attention to fit and ear tip selection; my ear configuration allowed the fh5 to reach a good fit solution. The fa7 did fit right out of the package using the stock ear tips; I did change my choice to the spinfit cp145; for the fh5 after much time and ear tip trials I settled for the spin fit cp155.

The fh5 had different users reporting different solutions for a good fit. My results are just one possibility.

Jan 15, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #1,658 of 2,258
It's not the length of the nozzle that matters, it is the distance from the base of the nozzle to the part of the shell that comes in contact with your crus helix; this directly determines how far the tip can go. FH5 = 1 mm, FA7 = 4.55 mm. See Post #275 in the FA7 thread.

This is useful, thanks. I thought that one way they could ‘lengthen’ the nozzle insertion is to slightly change the shape of the earpiece itself, which I believe is what you’re pointing to. Irrespective of how they do it, any change in the position of the nozzle tip inside your ear will more than likely change the sound of the FH5. Which is why I’m curious to hear from FiiO exactly what changes they made and what this does to the sound.

Jan 15, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #1,659 of 2,258
I might have to pick up the Black FH5, depending on how the nozzle length affects the sound. The nozzle length being on the short side is one of the few things I dislike about the original FH5.

Jan 15, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #1,660 of 2,258
This is useful, thanks. I thought that one way they could ‘lengthen’ the nozzle insertion is to slightly change the shape of the earpiece itself, which I believe is what you’re pointing to. Irrespective of how they do it, any change in the position of the nozzle tip inside your ear will more than likely change the sound of the FH5. Which is why I’m curious to hear from FiiO exactly what changes they made and what this does to the sound.
Certainly, the aggregate (nozzle + canal) length affects the canal resonant peak. I don't know what they did, but I can imagine that they might have kept the spiral bass transmission line, raised the base of the nozzle, and lengthened the nozzle commensurately to ensure tip retention. I only needed an additional 1.5 mm, which is a small relative change, especially considering the total length of the ear canal.

It might be akin to the difference in insertion depth when using large vs. medium tips, and likely equivalent to the results I got when adding the spacers. It's not black magic. I think EQ makes a much more significant impact, as long as you're already achieving a decent seal. We'll see.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #1,663 of 2,258
Yes, in my opinion you are correct. Fiio's FH5 fit me also, but not as good as some other iem's that I own do partly to the nozzle and surrounding area. FH5's as far as the audio is concerned are good but could be better do to the too forward mids. On aside note I love the build, fit, and comfort of my MEE Pinnacle P1, but think that the audio is very disappointing to me. I do not like to have to eq on the go for any iem I have 3 new earphones that fit and sound better than the FH5 (Simgot EN3, TFZ Secret Garden 3, and Magaosi K6). I am not saying the FH5 is bad, only the others fit and sound better and are in the same price bracket. I am not a Fiio basher as I own the F9, M7, X5iii and no plans to sell my FH5. Has anyone had a chance to read Brooko's review of the FA7 on another site? Very interesting read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back