FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Dec 13, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #1,457 of 2,258
Hi @JamesFiiO - can you tell me which foam tips come with the FH5 as I’d like to buy a few replacements? Do you also make slightly longer foam tips for the FH5?

Also can you tell me which Comply tips (size) will fit the FH5?

Thanks.
I asked this question of Comply back in July. The non-committal answer was the 600 core:

[me]: ...My new IEMs are models FiiO FH1 and FH5. They’re not on your list yet. The nozzles are 5.88 mm in diameter, with 6.54 mm lips for retention on the nozzles. What models of Comply would fit those and still maintain the medium outer diameter? Ts-600?...

[Comply]: ...We do not list or give out the earphone sound port measurements that our tips fit onto. More factors determine compatibility than the size of the sound port nozzle. For example, the material, size, shape and design of the sound port nozzle all play into compatibility with our tips.

For your safety, we cannot recommend using our core-specific tips with an earphone model we have not tested. The diameters that you gave me align with our 600 core. It is possible that our 600 core will fit best, but we cannot recommend using these tips until our engineer has tested your earphone for compatibility. If you would like to purchase and try these tips, it will be at your own risk...

Dec 13, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #1,458 of 2,258
Well I've used 600s which fitted well. I found 500s had too small a diameter to fit easily. I can't imaging that 400s or 300s would fit. I actually use MandarinE Symbio W (Wide Bore) which I like much more than Complys. I've just received a couple of sizes of SpinFits which I am going to try this afternoon.

Dec 13, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #1,459 of 2,258
Well I've used 600s which fitted well. I found 500s had too small a diameter to fit easily. I can't imaging that 400s or 300s would fit. I actually use MandarinE Symbio W (Wide Bore) which I like much more than Complys. I've just received a couple of sizes of SpinFits which I am going to try this afternoon.
I've been a long-time Comply user, and had tried the Ts-500 M with the FH5. They sealed and isolated well, but exerted too much pressure on my External Acoustic Meatus, and were not practical for any kind of extended use. I think long-term use of Comply tips, in general, may have also contributed to expansion of the Meatus, making fit with smaller tips more difficult; also, Comply is an expensive habit.

For instance, I tried the following, and did not get a satisfactory seal with the FH5: MandarinEs Symbio W (L), SpinFit CP155 Large, CP145 Large. I did not purchase any multi-flange tips; perhaps that would work, but it feels to me like I'm "throwing parts" at the issue. The cost of these unusable tips is adding up.

So far, the only thing that's worked for me is the FH5 Large Bass Tips, with a 2 mm spacer added at the base. Even the SpinFits did not seal with the spacers in place.
Over time, the Bass Tips (with spacers) tend to slip off the nozzles, so I've had to secure them to the spacers with a little cyanoacrylate.

I contacted support@fiio.com to see about procuring more Large Bass Tips; they responded quickly and said that they were $13 USD for 5 pairs (shipping included).

[edit]: also, $20 for 10 pairs (via ePacket).

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #1,461 of 2,258
Well, I think you should ask first if anyone can compare these with the ones that FiiO supply.
The look and size seem very similar and they are much cheaper.
They do look very similar, and the L is 14 mm (I assume that's the outer diameter) - though it appears they only deliver sets of SML. There is a bit of a seam around the periphery that doesn't exist in the FiiO-sourced versions. I don't know if that would be a factor in comfort or seal quality. The average star rating of ***** is perplexing; even negative feedback is showing *****. Still , $0.87 delivered is a very small risk. I ordered 1 set.

Dec 13, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #1,462 of 2,258
They do look very similar, and the L is 14 mm (I assume that's the outer diameter) - though it appears they only deliver sets of SML. There is a bit of a seam around the periphery that doesn't exist in the FiiO-sourced versions. I don't know if that would be a factor in comfort or seal quality. The average star rating of ***** is perplexing; even negative feedback is showing *****. Still , $0.87 delivered is a very small risk. I ordered 1 set.

You can leave a remark for the seller if you wanted different configuration like (LLL):
The default size is 1 Pairs L , 1 Pairs M , 1 Pairs S , if you need other size , please remark when place order.

Dec 13, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #1,463 of 2,258
Thanks for that. Please can you post back here your impressions with the SpinFits in terms of sound and comfort compared to Comply and Symbio. Also, anyone used Spiral Dots? I'd love to know if FiiO sell the foam tips that come with the FH5 - those are luxurious.

Dec 13, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #1,464 of 2,258
For those who found the Symbio W ear tips to be uncomfortable or hard to get a proper seal, I would say give it a little time to break in.

Disclaimer:
This is just my experience using size small tips.

These tips are not as pliable as most silicone tips probably because of both the material/shape and the inner foam. You also need to really push them into your canal to get a proper seal.

However, over time, the effort needed to do so decreases and they get more comfortable (softer).

I went through something similar with the UM ME.1 earphones, though, those required me (and allowed me) to always push the tips quite a bit into the ear canal.

Dec 13, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #1,465 of 2,258
Thanks for that. Please can you post back here your impressions with the SpinFits in terms of sound and comfort compared to Comply and Symbio. Also, anyone used Spiral Dots? I'd love to know if FiiO sell the foam tips that come with the FH5 - those are luxurious.

I’ve just tried the SpinFits. Not for very long. A couple of of songs (Pure Shores, All Saints and Harvester of Eyes, Blue Oyster Cult) on each of the pairs of SpinFits and the Symbios, going through each pair of songs a couple of times on each pair of tips in a semi random rotation (so I listened to two songs six times without ever listening to a pair of songs through the same tips twice in succession). I got two pairs of SpinFits: Orange (Medium I think, packaging was Chinese) and Blue (Large). I easily got a seal with both sizes of SpinFit and both felt comfortable (but no long wear test). Despite what seemed like a good seal, the sound with the Orange/Medium was gutless - very weak bass. The Blue/Large were better for me. Pretty good sound, decent fullness to the bass, but not much punch, good at higher frequencies (but again, maybe lacking a bit in attack), great instrument separation, very comfortable.

The sound across the frequency range, especially in the bass, was, however, much better for me with the Symbios. Punch in the bass. Clear and cutting in the middle and higher frequencies. Clarity in higher pitched echoes. Really the business. For me, the combination of Q5, FH5, and MandarinE Symbio Ws is the most entertaining enjoyable sound I’ve ever had from a setup I’ve actually owned. One thing I particularly like about this combo is that it still sounds fantastic at low volumes. This is really important to me. If you are going to listen for a long time the high volume will soon give you a headache. I want as much punch, attack, fullness, clarity, and separation with the volume at 2 as I get at 11.

Worth mentioning a few things about the Symbios. It is a bit harder to get a seal with them than other tips I’ve tried (I lick them a little before fitting; yuck, TMI, etc., but it helps for me), and initially they feel less comfortable. Once they are in right they are great though. For me they take about 5 minutes to settle, each pair also gets better the longer you use them (up to a limit). I’ve just come back from a couple of transatlantic flights and the Symbios were fine for really extended wearing (six hours was fine) during which you are, of course, listening to music that sounds so fantastic it is as if from another planet (or a recording studio).

On the other questions, I really didn’t like the Complys. Large 600s were the only ones where I could get a good fit on the nozzle and seal in the ear. The sound was good but they were very uncomfortable.

I haven’t got any spiral dots (do these people send out review sets? It would seem sensible) so I can’t comment on those.

Notice I kept saying ‘for me’. So much of this tip fit business depends on your own personal characteristics - shape and size of lugholes (ears), taste for bass, and so on. Given that, I’d say that both Symbios and SpinFitis are worth a try. I like Symbios, and, as a bonus, they seem easier and cheaper to get in the UK. You might prefer SpinFits. Try them both.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #1,466 of 2,258
Dec 13, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #1,467 of 2,258
600s fit.

If 400s have a smaller diameter than 500s, and 500s a smaller diameter than 600s, then I’d be surprised if 400s would fit. I gave up trying to fit 500s because I was worried I’d damage the earphones.

Dec 14, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #1,468 of 2,258
I’ve just tried the SpinFits. Not for very long. A couple of of songs (Pure Shores, All Saints and Harvester of Eyes, Blue Oyster Cult) on each of the pairs of SpinFits and the Symbios, going through each pair of songs a couple of times on each pair of tips in a semi random rotation (so I listened to two songs six times without ever listening to a pair of songs through the same tips twice in succession). I got two pairs of SpinFits: Orange (Medium I think, packaging was Chinese) and Blue (Large). I easily got a seal with both sizes of SpinFit and both felt comfortable (but no long wear test). Despite what seemed like a good seal, the sound with the Orange/Medium was gutless - very weak bass. The Blue/Large were better for me. Pretty good sound, decent fullness to the bass, but not much punch, good at higher frequencies (but again, maybe lacking a bit in attack), great instrument separation, very comfortable.

The sound across the frequency range, especially in the bass, was, however, much better for me with the Symbios. Punch in the bass. Clear and cutting in the middle and higher frequencies. Clarity in higher pitched echoes. Really the business. For me, the combination of Q5, FH5, and MandarinE Symbio Ws is the most entertaining enjoyable sound I’ve ever had from a setup I’ve actually owned. One thing I particularly like about this combo is that it still sounds fantastic at low volumes. This is really important to me. If you are going to listen for a long time the high volume will soon give you a headache. I want as much punch, attack, fullness, clarity, and separation with the volume at 2 as I get at 11.

Worth mentioning a few things about the Symbios. It is a bit harder to get a seal with them than other tips I’ve tried (I lick them a little before fitting; yuck, TMI, etc., but it helps for me), and initially they feel less comfortable. Once they are in right they are great though. For me they take about 5 minutes to settle, each pair also gets better the longer you use them (up to a limit). I’ve just come back from a couple of transatlantic flights and the Symbios were fine for really extended wearing (six hours was fine) during which you are, of course, listening to music that sounds so fantastic it is as if from another planet (or a recording studio).

On the other questions, I really didn’t like the Complys. Large 600s were the only ones where I could get a good fit on the nozzle and seal in the ear. The sound was good but they were very uncomfortable.

I haven’t got any spiral dots (do these people send out review sets? It would seem sensible) so I can’t comment on those.

Notice I kept saying ‘for me’. So much of this tip fit business depends on your own personal characteristics - shape and size of lugholes (ears), taste for bass, and so on. Given that, I’d say that both Symbios and SpinFitis are worth a try. I like Symbios, and, as a bonus, they seem easier and cheaper to get in the UK. You might prefer SpinFits. Try them both.
Thank you for the long and detailed reply. I'll be trying several different tips over the next few weeks and report back here.

Dec 14, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #1,470 of 2,258
Dear friend,

The maximum diameter of FH5 is 6.5mm. It's recommended to choose 5.0mm eartip if you're planning to buy foam eartip and choose 4-6mm eartip if you're planning to buy silicone eartip. Theoretically, the smaller the aperture of the eartip is, the more bass you could get, and the larger the aperture is, the better pitch you could get. PS: For reference only.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back