FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Nov 14, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #1,292 of 2,258
I posted a comparison of the FH5 to both the Shure SE535LTD and the Grado GR10e, here.
Below is the three-way comparison table on each of 10 acoustic features, as explained more in the post just referenced. Higher numbers are better.

Thanks for this. All the detail is great (I'm not sure about scoring - as I think you also said, the weight put on different factors will vary from person to person and between different types of listening (music)). When I was buying earphones recently to replace ones that were stolen I was torn between the FH5s and Grado GR8Es. I'd ruled out Shure SE425s because I didn't really like the 420s I'd had before. I wondered if you had a similar comparison to the one you posted, but with GR8Es and SE425s rather than 10Es and 535s? Thanks in advance!

Nov 14, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #1,294 of 2,258
Now there are more and more different kinds of balanced connector, so if we put both 2.5/4.4 balanced cable inside the box, the cost will be too high, and if your devices only supports one of the 2.5/4.4, you will waste money for a useless cable. and now the cable is far more expensive than the cable comes with FH1/F9/F9PRO.

Should have included a 3.5mm and 2.5mm cable since fiio dap uses 3.5mm and 2.5mm and maybe retail it for 280 instead

Nov 14, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #1,295 of 2,258
I think I had already make it clear why we have not put a 2.5mm balanced cable in the box of FH5, in Asia, 4.4 becomes more popular right now , and in China, there will be another standard called 3.5PRO, so or we put all the balanced cable inside or we put none of them.

Right now we think the best way is not waste your money and the new mmcx balanced cable will be available soon , it is called

LC-2.5B ( 2.5mm )/LC-3.5B (3.5mm) /LC-4.4B (4.4mm )

10134979_thumb.jpg

LC-2.5C ( 2.5mm ), LC-3.5C (3.5mm ),LC-4.4C (4.4mm)

10134978_thumb.jpg
Wow another balanced connection smh ain't 2.5mm and 4.4mm is enough for the portable players, guess China wants to join the balance war LOL Doesn't matter if 4.4mm is popular in asia, Sony is the only ones that use 4.4mm the rest is all 2.5mm devices :wink:

Nov 14, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #1,296 of 2,258
Thanks for this. All the detail is great (I'm not sure about scoring - as I think you also said, the weight put on different factors will vary from person to person and between different types of listening (music)). When I was buying earphones recently to replace ones that were stolen I was torn between the FH5s and Grado GR8Es. I'd ruled out Shure SE425s because I didn't really like the 420s I'd had before. I wondered if you had a similar comparison to the one you posted, but with GR8Es and SE425s rather than 10Es and 535s? Thanks in advance!
So sorry, no I dont have comparisons with the GR8e or the SE425. I don’t own those IEM, though I love the blue and gold colors of the GR8e!

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #1,297 of 2,258
So sorry, no Indont have comparisons with the GR8e or the SE425. I don’t own those IEM, though I love the blue and gold colors of the GR8e!

Thanks anyway. I also thought the GR8Es looked gorgeous and their size was also attractive. In the end, though, I went with the FH5s as I reckoned FiiO would probably deliver great value for money (as I guess they do, given that they gave the 535s and the GR10Es a run for their money in your comparison, despite their money being about twice the cost of the FH5s). Thanks again! - Bob

Nov 15, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #1,298 of 2,258
Just to add another datapoint (not totally sure how useful these are, but never mind). I got a variety set of MandarinE Symbio tips (widebore, in S, M, and L sizes) yesterday. I prefer L to M for Comply tips, but, much to my surprise, very definitely prefer the M Symbios. For me (YMMV) the Symbios are more comfortable, give a great seal, give a better sound (particularly treble), and look snazzier (!!) than the Complys (I couldn't get a decent seal with any of the tips included with FH5s).

Nov 15, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #1,299 of 2,258
Picked up a pair of these yesterday. They're my first decent quality IEMs in years (I'm a fullsize headphone kind of person), and so far they sound great! I was never too impressed with IEMs (even the high end ones I tried), but I'm happy to say these are pretty kick ass, and will likely make me more willing to take a look at IEMs in the future! Using the bass tips currently, though I will likely be doing some more tip rolling in the future. They sound pretty killer out of my iDSD Micro, though the fact one flip of the wrong switch and they're outputting 4 watts at the tap is pretty damn scary, so I may need to figure out how to deal with that.

One thing I've noticed is they also came with a pair of double flange tips inside the soft case. Is that a new addition? I haven't seen them mentioned in any of the reviews I've read.

I'm wondering how they compare to the Campfire Comets, as I was between these and those. I may grab those to see which I prefer, but does anyone happen to have experience with both?

Lastly, does anyone have any recommendations for a bluetooth MMCX cable with AAC support? It may be nice to have a bluetooth option for casual on the go or workout listening, but none of them seem to have very good reviews from what I've seen.

Nov 15, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #1,300 of 2,258
Picked up a pair of these yesterday. They're my first decent quality IEMs in years (I'm a fullsize headphone kind of person), and so far they sound great! I was never too impressed with IEMs (even the high end ones I tried), but I'm happy to say these are pretty kick ass, and will likely make me more willing to take a look at IEMs in the future! Using the bass tips currently, though I will likely be doing some more tip rolling in the future. They sound pretty killer out of my iDSD Micro, though the fact one flip of the wrong switch and they're outputting 4 watts at the tap is pretty damn scary, so I may need to figure out how to deal with that.

One thing I've noticed is they also came with a pair of double flange tips inside the soft case. Is that a new addition? I haven't seen them mentioned in any of the reviews I've read.

I'm wondering how they compare to the Campfire Comets, as I was between these and those. I may grab those to see which I prefer, but does anyone happen to have experience with both?

Lastly, does anyone have any recommendations for a bluetooth MMCX cable with AAC support? It may be nice to have a bluetooth option for casual on the go or workout listening, but none of them seem to have very good reviews from what I've seen.

Oh yeah ... i have them too ... didn't even look in the zip case cos i didn't think i'd ever use it :)
Gonna try these out now cos i've never used double-flange ones... i'm running spinfit cp145's and enjoying them

Nov 15, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #1,303 of 2,258
But the white double flange one in picture is not spinfit, it is?
No - that's the 'new mystery' tips included in the FH5's pouch .... will post a pic of the spinfit's too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back