FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Nov 9, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #1,231 of 2,258
The ones I saw on Ebay were $99. AliExpress has them for $60-70. I just ordered a LC-3.5C.

Anyone receive an LC-2.5/3.5/4.4C cable yet? How noticeable was the improvement with the FH5 over the stock LC-3.5B cable?
I have FH5 for couple of days before change stock cable to LC-3.5. I think the most improvement is in treble, extend and smooth. Bass is quite too much for my taste but not be any problem because I mostly listen to piano jazz, Chinese Instrumental and female vocal.

Nov 9, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #1,232 of 2,258
This was the first pair of IEMs for me where not a single pair of provided tips fit..normally M/L works best for me, but on this one, no chance. Had to take the L ones from my Final E3000 E. So far they are one of the most comfortable IEMs i ever had, great cable (both build and soundwise) and overall great value. If you planned to spend ~500-600 on some new IEMs, just take these, you won´t find anything noticeable better in this price range over the FH5 (imo).

Nov 9, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #1,233 of 2,258
There seem to be lots of balanced cables available from FiiO for these, varying in price (from amazon.co.uk) from £20 to £65. Does anyone know what the difference is between them? (I'm using a FiiO Q5 with the AM3A amp module).

Nov 9, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #1,234 of 2,258
There seem to be lots of balanced cables available from FiiO for these, varying in price (from amazon.co.uk) from £20 to £65. Does anyone know what the difference is between them? (I'm using a FiiO Q5 with the AM3A amp module).
There's a chart at the bottom of this link that gives you a good summary: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fii...lacement-cable-for-Shure-JVC/32896656764.html

Basically, the LC-3.5b is what the FH5 comes with.

I also bought this from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D4DNFBF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a 16-core balanced 2.5mm cable. I think it's very good for the price. It comfortably wraps around my ears without the ear guides. It's softer than the FiiO LC-3.5b, but I think the materials on the FiiO are a tad better. However, I like how this one is 16-cores (thicker than FiiO's 4- and 8-core cables), but really light and supple. For cables, I'm always looking for the least obtrusive when wearing.

As far as sound, I actually don't really care nor notice much of a difference. For me, it's about looks and feel.

Nov 9, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #1,236 of 2,258
Joining the club ... ordered a set of these last night (FH5's) :)
This habbit's getting expensive already :D I never seem to choose cheap ones

Nov 9, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #1,237 of 2,258
Well I am currently listening from a FiiO Q5 (FiiO AM3A amp) driving FiiO FH5s. The only non-FiiO bits are Comply tips and an iPhone as source. I am super pleased at the quality of this combination at this price. Gentle high hats off to the right at the end of Lillywhite Lilith by Genesis. Just so many things that I’ve never heard before in albums I’ve owned for years (that’s what all this stuff is for isn’t it?). Just amazed given such a low price!!!

Nov 9, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #1,238 of 2,258
Well I am currently listening from a FiiO Q5 (FiiO AM3A amp) driving FiiO FH5s. The only non-FiiO bits are Comply tips and an iPhone as source. I am super pleased at the quality of this combination at this price. Gentle high hats off to the right at the end of Lillywhite Lilith by Genesis. Just so many things that I’ve never heard before in albums I’ve owned for years (that’s what all this stuff is for isn’t it?). Just amazed given such a low price!!!

Yes, Very good combo for iphone. and there are also lots people also use BTR3+FH5 with current smartphone without headphones out socket.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 10, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #1,239 of 2,258
...and the FH5 with balanced FiiO cable out of the FiiO X5iii is Wonderful (though I must admit, I hear no difference between balanced and the single ended output!)

Nov 10, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #1,240 of 2,258
ruthieandjohn: I only have 1 balanced cable which is the one that came with the Fiio F9. I ran it into my Fiio X5iii and did not hear any difference. Some people swear by using balanced and others have noted no difference at all. I read that if your source is a little noisy a balanced cable helps, but if it's not noisy then it doesn't. There are better people with the expertise to explain it better than me.

Nov 10, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #1,241 of 2,258
I've now got the RC-MMCXB cable. It is a bit more flimsy than the single ended cable that comes with the FH5s. Swapping cables was trivially easy (I'd never done it before with MMX connectors). I am using a FiiO Q5 with the AM3A amp module. I think I hear a difference in the treble with the balanced cable/output - still intense but a bit more controlled, sharp highs are still sharp but don't actually hurt! Fantastic punch (e.g. in Fleetwood Mac's "Chain") that is more solid than with the single ended. I read one review that suggested that the balanced output from the AM3A amp module produced noticeable hiss. I don't hear this at all. Silence is silent. I felt that this was £30 well spent. Can anyone notice a difference between this cable and the £70 LC4.4C ???

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #1,242 of 2,258
...and the FH5 with balanced FiiO cable out of the FiiO X5iii is Wonderful (though I must admit, I hear no difference between balanced and the single ended output!)
Was interested to know whether there's much value in upgrading the cable .... heard at this price level it's not going to make that much difference :)

Nov 10, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #1,243 of 2,258
Watched quite a few reviews online ... seems that many suggest burn-in on these is valid .... i know there's a lot of mixed opinion about validity of burning in

Nov 10, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #1,244 of 2,258
Was interested to know whether there's much value in upgrading the cable .... heard at this price level it's not going to make that much difference :)
I’ve never heard a noticeable difference in cables except for volume when using a balanced output. My ears aren’t good enough, I guess. I buy cables for the look and feel. How much value you get from a cable totally falls into the “YMMV” category.

Nov 10, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #1,245 of 2,258
I’ve never heard a noticeable difference in cables except for volume when using a balanced output. My ears aren’t good enough, I guess. I buy cables for the look and feel. How much value you get from a cable totally falls into the “YMMV” category.
The stock cable does look a little heavy/thick for everyday use

Users who are viewing this thread

Back