FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Nov 4, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #1,202 of 2,258
I think you are right. If the fit is really bad then not only is there no sense of space, but also the bass response is awful. With the supplied tips I could get a reasonable seal with their medium foam tips. All the others were pretty awful. With the Complys the balance of sound across frequencies seems better than I got with the supplied medium foams, and the sense of spatial separation is fantastic. I don't really have the experience of instruments being outside my head to the side which I do sometimes get with Audeze EL8s (open back version).
These 3 sound outlet port nozzle type iems have a shallow insertion, and has a bit of dependency on ear tips and fit, more so than those narrow nozzles from Shure, etc.. They just seem more sensitive to tip type and fit.

I swear the Symbo tips reacts like a bass reflex. Bass just seems more compressed (in a decay sense, not dynamically) and impactful.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #1,204 of 2,258
I don't find sound stage limited at all, it's more spacious than the typical. This sound stage depends on the right tips and fit in my experience (which is quite important to get most out of the iem). I think if the fit isn't right, you can get this narrow stage, or if the bore size is narrow, I have experienced a tunneling like sound response.

What I have experience is, if the bore is too large, the stage sound unambianced (sounding all over the place). If the bore size seems precise or about right, the stage seems at the right size radially all around. Or perhaps a sweet spot of sorts.
Unfortunately not from my experience. I guess I have more practical experience with a variety of IEMs than many (one of the good .... or bad .... points of a lot of reviewing :wink: ).

I get a perfect seal every time Symbios, but also can with Comply, and have other silicones (Sony) which all give a great seal. Staging does not change a lot - and it’s projection (for me) is very much freq response related. I can change the perception via EQ. The reason it’s intimate (or small) for me is the mid range / vocal bump. It brings the singer forward.

Nov 4, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #1,207 of 2,258
somebody knows iem's with same frequency responses? Like it very much

It may also vary depending on what you listen to (a lot of my music can be guitar based, or female vocalists) which can tend to accentuate 800Hz -3 kHz which makes the freq bump more present. Others may find instrumental based music has wider perceived stage. When I test I use a binaural track (Tundra) and it shows quite clearly perceived stage width and depth - which is why I use it.

Nov 5, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #1,208 of 2,258
It may also vary depending on what you listen to (a lot of my music can be guitar based, or female vocalists) which can tend to accentuate 800Hz -3 kHz which makes the freq bump more present. Others may find instrumental based music has wider perceived stage. When I test I use a binaural track (Tundra) and it shows quite clearly perceived stage width and depth - which is why I use it.
Yes, I like jazz, with female vocals . Want to buy "same same but different" another IEM :)

Nov 5, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #1,209 of 2,258
These 3 sound outlet port nozzle type iems have a shallow insertion, and has a bit of dependency on ear tips and fit, more so than those narrow nozzles from Shure, etc.. They just seem more sensitive to tip type and fit.

I swear the Symbo tips reacts like a bass reflex. Bass just seems more compressed (in a decay sense, not dynamically) and impactful.
I did notice that the nozzles are shorter than a lot of IEMs I've had. That said, the out-of-box fit with these have been perfect for me! I haven't tried the other supplied tips yet.

I have Symbios on order and I agree with your assessment. I had them with my UM ME.1. Those have pretty long nozzles and with the Symbios, I really had to push them into my ear canals to get the proper seal and sound. I wonder if I'll have issues with the FH5. We'll see.

Nov 5, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #1,210 of 2,258
I just have to reiterate that these are the most comfortable IEMs I've ever tried. I've been wearing them all day and there is zero discomfort in and around my ears, and the stock cable is very unobtrusive. I normally hate ear guides, but these ones are great. I ordered the LC-2.5C so I can plug it into the balanced port of the Q1 Mark II.

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #1,211 of 2,258
I asked before about the isine 10's and I think the person that responded didn't really like the isines in the first place. So my question is are these FH5 better ? my friend has the shure 846 and I much preferred my isines, and I agree the shures are very overpriced for what you get. All comments appreciated

Nov 6, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #1,214 of 2,258
What do you mean? I know Shure is love or hate but never heard that model while listened to FH5 on V30. I liked it but not sure about size and nozzle problem in future - not superb comfort.
Frequencies, imaging, details, space comparision in short?

Nov 6, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #1,215 of 2,258

Users who are viewing this thread

Back