FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Jul 12, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #361 of 2,258
I will be looking forward to your impressions and also a mini comparison with the DZ 7 :wink: :metal:

I have to find my DZ7, bro. lol .. N5005 and ME.1 (and LZ A5) have taken up much of my IEM time. We'll see though.

Jul 12, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #362 of 2,258
Maybe we can go back to the topic and waiting more review about FH5, I believe a lots of people will get their FH5 in hand in the coming soon! and now all the FH5 has been sold out in China .

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 12, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #363 of 2,258
I have to find my DZ7, bro. lol .. N5005 and ME.1 (and LZ A5) have taken up much of my IEM time. We'll see though.
Dang that N5005 :D

Jul 12, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #365 of 2,258
Well, I don't fancy comprising these with other TOTL iems, unless they're extremely close in signature. I just want some impressions between them and other iems in the same price range cause what usually lets us down are our assumptions and expectations, and I don't want this to be the case here.

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #366 of 2,258
Maybe we can go back to the topic and waiting more review about FH5, I believe a lots of people will get their FH5 in hand in the coming soon! and now all the FH5 has been sold out in China .

But you didn't answer my question about cable contest. Anyway, mine are waiting for me in the mailroom here at my job, but it will be about three or four hours before I can go grab them.

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #367 of 2,258
I too would like some Legend X, Atlas, Andromeda, N5005, Katana, Layla and other TOTL comparisons :wink:

In all seriousness though, some good comparisons would be Massdrop Plus, IT03/IT04, ER4XR/SR, FLC8, AKG N40, New Primacy, Periodic Audio Be, Campfire Orion etc. around its price range.

Let's not forget there's a lot of GOOD IEMs around $250-300.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #368 of 2,258
Feels kind of funny watching each video from HBB and - I may be wrong in remembering this but it's the feeling I got from each video - seeing impressions go from general praise for the FH5 with the screen off and saying it was a direct linear step up from the FH1s to saying the FH1s are still the best FiiO IEM. :triportsad:

I wonder if the consensus will show the same thing once most reviews are in. Comparisons to IEMs within the price range would definitely help though I'm sure.

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #369 of 2,258
Being somewhat of a newbie on here I keep falling into the mental pitfall on here by forgetting that most products show up on here wayyyyy before international distribution (ie: Amazon). So patience is something I have to re-install in my brain everyday until that glorious moment I see this on Amazon. I can say this, the moment I always start getting interested in a new Fiio product (closer to a TOTL line) those Ibasso guys keep coming out of the woodwork to knock on the door (ex: IT04). Now I gotta wait for both on Amazon to do a shoot-out (my wallet takes the bullets of course). lol. This will be interesting.

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #370 of 2,258
Feels kind of funny watching each video from HBB and - I may be wrong in remembering this but it's the feeling I got from each video - seeing impressions go from general praise for the FH5 with the screen off and saying it was a direct linear step up from the FH1s to saying the FH1s are still the best FiiO IEM. :triportsad:

I wonder if the consensus will show the same thing once most reviews are in. Comparisons to IEMs within the price range would definitely help though I'm sure.

This is all personal opinion and the more the better. So wait for em.
I think the screen off makes it a step-up but a graph doesn't reflect that so far and most won't do that anyway.
I did a vid with F9, F9 pro, FH1 b4 other sites did and concluded that the affordable FH1 was the most appealing to me.
The FH5 is a beauty and has technical qualities that the quality drivers inside would indicate. the vocal hump is a personal pref issue with me.

I gotta iron out my chart reading skills but my ears tell me that mesh is an issue or the mid driver could use a mod to tame it or EQ

I do not think it is bassy
I do not think it is wide and airy
I do not think it is "V" shaped either as that implies elevate treble which this has but not in the area or amount most folks think of when hearing that term.

I do think the build quality is on par with most any universal IEM on the market at any price
I do think a future multi bore stem might be better off with no screen like a lot of companies do

I hope they make a FH1 v2 someday with a sweet build quality like this FH5 because none...zero of the folks on my YT channel have ever had a complaint about the FH1 besides build. Sonic wise it has pleased all who left feedback.
I think FH5 is going to be a love it all or not at all kind of set. Some are like that

Jul 12, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #371 of 2,258
I'm one of those people that bought the FH1 based on HBB's video and some reviews here on Head-Fi and I can say zero complaints. Yeah, build quality could be a bit better but it's $80 and has the exact sound I like so whatever. Sounds like the FH5 isn't for me but I'm definitely going to follow up on more Fiio IEMs in the future because like he said, if they make a improved version higher up in the food chain, I'm there.

Jul 12, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #372 of 2,258
I think the screen off makes it a step-up but a graph doesn't reflect that so far and most won't do that anyway.
I did a vid with F9, F9 pro, FH1 b4 other sites did and concluded that the affordable FH1 was the most appealing to me.
The FH5 is a beauty and has technical qualities that the quality drivers inside would indicate. the vocal hump is a personal pref issue with me.

I gotta iron out my chart reading skills but my ears tell me that mesh is an issue or the mid driver could use a mod to tame it or EQ

I do not think it is "V" shaped either as that implies elevate treble which this has but not in the area or amount most folks think of when hearing that term.

I do think the build quality is on par with most any universal IEM on the market at any price
I do think a future multi bore stem might be better off with no screen like a lot of companies do

I hope they make a FH1 v2 someday with a sweet build quality like this FH5 because none...zero of the folks on my YT channel have ever had a complaint about the FH1 besides build. Sonic wise it has pleased all who left feedback.
I think FH5 is going to be a love it all or not at all kind of set. Some are like that
So a person who like forward and full bodied vocals and a gentle/polite bass a 3D like presentation can love FH5 , right ,???

Jul 12, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #375 of 2,258

Thanks for the detailed response - I know hearing can be subjective but your videos do a good job of depicting them as objectively as possible (i.e: Using the chart and such to describe what you hear) - even if I don't like the resulting impressions.

I feel like I would have preferred it be a direct linear improvement on the FH1s sound signature - as described in the polish review and one of your earlier videos - than its own, totally different thing, but I'll wait to see what the general consensus is before putting a final nail on these. :triportsad:

In case this doesn't end up being 'the one' I'm looking for, is there anything you've heard - or heard of - in this price range that would suit my needs?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back