FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Jul 19, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #482 of 2,258
More FiiO FH5 are on the way to our worldwide sales agents!

What's more, it's now available on Amazon.us (https://amzn.to/2No8H4c) and FiiO Aliexpress store (https://bit.ly/2mnJOu5) as well. Kindly get yourself an upgraded earphone and join the activity "Buy 4-Driver FH5, the Best FiiO IEMs Ever, Win a Gift:package: Worth $32.99!":rose:

Best regards

Why is it $20 more on Aliexpress?

Jul 19, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #483 of 2,258
Can you link to the news of Oriolus' new IEM? (and will it be $199 or closer to the kid $200's like the FH5?)

Thanks in advance

I haven't heard any further updates. 200$ vs 199$ isn't that much of a stretch lol. I'll keep you in mind if I read of any news

Jul 19, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #484 of 2,258
I haven't heard any further updates. 200$ vs 199$ isn't that much of a stretch lol. I'll keep you in mind if I read of any news

Sorry, I just now realized there was an autocorrect mistake in my original post. I meant to ask if it would be in the mid-$200 bracket (i.e: $259 like the FH5) or if they were aiming for something lower.

Helps set expectations, IMO?

Jul 19, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #485 of 2,258
Sorry, I just now realized there was an autocorrect mistake in my original post. I meant to ask if it would be in the mid-$200 bracket (i.e: $259 like the FH5) or if they were aiming for something lower.

Helps set expectations, IMO?

Bah, when it comes, hopefully we'll get more impressions. So far the feedback here has been pretty helpful re: fh5. I'm just dap collecting in the meantime...

Jul 20, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #487 of 2,258
Graphs of some of the earphones you all asked for. Usual disclaimer

The graphs I use are generated using the Vibro Veritas coupler and ARTA software. Ken Ball (ALO/Campfire) graciously provided me with measurement data which I have used to recalibrate my Veritas so that it mimics an IEC 711 measurement standard (Ken uses two separate BK ear simulators, we measured the same set of IEMs, and I built my calibration curve from shared data). I do not claim that this data is 100% accurate, but it is very consistent, and is as close as I can get to the IEC 711 standard on my budget. I suspect it is slightly down at around 9-10 kHz, but seems reasonably accurate through the rest of the spectrum. Sub bass may also be down slightly on my graphs.

I do not claim that the measurements are in any way more accurate than anyone else’s, but they have been proven to be consistent and I think they should be enough to give a reasonable idea of response – especially if you’ve followed any of my other reviews. When measuring I always use crystal foam tips (so medium bore opening) – and the reason I use them is for very consistent seal and placement depth in the coupler. I use the same amp (E11K) for all my measurements – and output is under 1 ohm.

I've matched the freq response at the natural equivalent in the vocal fundamental range - and remember these are all done on the same rig. Click for larger images:

Vs Andromeda - I don't have one to directly compare (so this is from memory)
Andro has better bass and is richer tonally. More detailed, flatter. Only thing (IMO) the FH5 wins on against the Andro is comfort.

Vs RHA CL1. I'd take the FH5 any day. The CL1 was torturous - the treble was piercing (ear-shredding)

Dunu DK3001 - both have a forward mid-range (in terms of harmonics). The Dunu has better lower treble presence. Personally I'd take the DK3001 sonics over the FH5 (thats personal preference - I like a brighter signature), but for comfort the FH5 wins.

Vs F9 Pro - the F9 Pro is leaner and brighter. For me the FH5 is better - more balanced.

Vs FH1 - interesting and I find the two quite close. If anything the FH1 is slightly more cohesive ion the transition from mids to lower treble. Need more time with both.

Vs FLC8S - I prefer the FLC8S (in this configuration) sonically due to the slightly less forward vocal harmonics. For comfort, build quality, cabel quality and price though - my personal preference would be FH5. And as I said previously, taking the top of the peak out at 2kHz is pretty simple with EQ, and makes a big difference.

Vs Sirius. Don't rely on the graph. The Sirius has more bass - it just has an internal vent, and when partially blocked, the bass goes up. Both sound very similar - FH5 is a bit bassier (even with the port naturally partially closed on the Sirius). Sirius has a slightly sweeter vocal presentation - but still quite forward. On comfort - definitely the FH5. For me personally - and especially considering the price difference - I'd take the FH5. Again - EQ is your friend as long as you are comfortable with it.
hello friend brooko,
So the FH5 would be a direct upgrade from FH1, correct?
Thank you

Jul 20, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #488 of 2,258
In stock now at our store downtown Montreal, for all curious Canadian ears!

These sound amazing for the price, hard to beat really

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 20, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #489 of 2,258
So... Tempted... But must.. Wait... For reviews...

Screenshot_20180720-102110__01.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180720-102110.jpg
    Screenshot_20180720-102110.jpg
    469 KB · Views: 0
Jul 20, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #491 of 2,258
In stock now at our store downtown Montreal, for all curious Canadian ears!

These sound amazing for the price, hard to beat really

Je viendrai les checker la semaine prochaine! good news :)

Jul 20, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #493 of 2,258
I like them much better than the Massdrop Plus. Fit is excellent and Isolation really good for a hybrid.
Thanks for your quick impressions between the FH5 vs the Massdrop Plus. I would like to know more of your thoughts between these as, I am torn between these 2 models. Looking to add to my small collection of IEMs -Shure SE215, VE Monks, and Fiio FH1- with something more substantial. I really like my FH1s. Nice bass impact on those and an all around fun IEM. The FH1s and the SE215s were a nice entry point for me into the world of IEMs.

The Massdrop+ have gotten a lot of rave reviews in this community and seem to be a great IEM for their $300 price tag. People praise their neutrality, micro-details, balanced sound, and comfortable fit. As a point of reference, the fit on my FH1s are great. Much easier to fit than my SE215s were. They really fit like a dream.

The FH5's come in for a little less so both are very close in price. There are currently much fewer reviews on the FH5s as they are so new, so i can't wait for more people to give their perspectives on them.

I am looking to use these IEMs for both portable solution and desktop setups. Desktop rig is a Jotunheim with standard dual AK4490 DAC and I also plug in my ifi Micro iDSD black label as another DAC source through my laptop. I have no issues with being able to handle the sensitivity of the MD+ due to having the Joti and iFi Micro BL. I also just received the Hiby R3 DAP and this would be used as my standalone portable solution, but also sometimes stacked with my ifi Micro BL when not on the move. I believe the R3 also has less than 1 ohm of output impedance so no issues with very sensitive IEMs like the MD+. The FH5s appear less sensitive than the MD+s so they will probably play easier on a wider variety of sources. (iPhone, iPad, laptop etc)

I listen to a variety of music genres but primarily Jazz, Rock, Pop, and Classical.

My full size headphones consist of Sennheisers HD6XX, HD58x Jubliee, Focal Spirit Classic, ZMF Classic (Fostex T50RP Mod), and Audeze LCD-2 Classic (non-Fazor). I enjoy all of these headphones for different reasons and have a nice balance of dynamics and planars, (Closed, Open, and Semi-open)

Any suggestions on which IEM would be a good compliment to my current lineup or should I just stick to full size cans:beyersmile:? i would like to spend no more than $300, and hence the reason why the FH5s and MD+s are on my shortlist as options. Haven't heard many IEMs beyond what I own, so I'm not sure what sound signature I prefer.

Thanks for all of the great posts on the new FH5s.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #494 of 2,258
Added to wish list.

Please see my signature and all my posts and send me personalized reviews and recommendations then order directly to my house.

....Me doing my impression of the Angies list commercials.

But no...seriously. Would these be an upgrade to my Shure 535s or a lateral move??

Jul 20, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #495 of 2,258
I should be getting these next Tuesday, if all goes according to plan with Amazon.. I've heard mostly good things about these, especially about the build quality, so I'm quite excited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back