FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Jul 15, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #451 of 2,258
So today I noticed the FH5 are tip dependent. Fiio provides 4 sets of tips. All of the sets of tips have different size bores depending on the type of sound you prefer. So a bit of a tuning aspect using tips. Narrow 2mm tips for vocal centric sound, about 3mm for balanced and 4mm for bass..I tried all 3 tips and the changes are subtle at best but to be honest I didn't use anything that came with them. Haven't tried the foams that came with them yet.

Settled for a double flange wide bore tip I believe they are brainwavz variety. Can't say tips will have this much influence on the sound of the FH5 for any of you guys as they do for me but. None of the included tips maximizes the sound for me like this particular double flange tip. For one they elongate the sound that is coming out of the 3 bores in the nozzle. Deeper insertion. This seems to make the sound coming out of the FH5 jive better for me.

What I am hearing now. Combination of a upgraded cable and the tip here and I have me a very enjoyable musical full bodied sound coming out of the FH5. I suppose guys have to be good with a bit of vocal forwardness but it don't sound shouty or disjointed, if anything it sounds engaging. Balancing is still there and I get it all. That low hitting full bass end. Smooth sounding vocals with clean instrument placement in the back ground. Speed metal sounds great due to the BAs being fast. Has them crunchy guitars. Bass is surprisingly agile too. The more I am getting to know these the more I am enjoying them.

They have their own sound vs something like the IT04. Differently tuned earphones from different companies and to be honest. I like me a bit of variety. It is refreshing not hearing yet another V shaped earphone in both the FH5 and the IT04.

These are not a neutral signature. You do have to like you some deep hitting bass, a mid range that does not take a step back and treble that is clean yet not overly done for the sake of faking a high end sound. They do provide the one aspect I always look for in an earphone. They are engaging to listen to and if that is worth your money. I say go for it.
Thanks for your opinion and mini-review. Can you say what in-ears u are used to?
Im very hesitating about the FH5, dont know if they are going to have that deep bass the graph shows (maybe is to faint), im not a bass head but love to have my metal/rock music with impact

Jul 16, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #452 of 2,258
I have too many earphones I am "used to." look at my profile. My current faves are my DZ12 semi customs and definitley my IT04s. Sony Z5s. HK6 are always fun to listen to as well.

No worries on the deep bass part. They do have deep bass. They didn't go overboard on the bass end however. I was told by Fiio that they do a factory burn in on the FH5 but with more use the bass quality would increase. Which I can believe. Sub bass rumble is not an issue with the FH5. It is a safe tuning meaning it does not do anything to cause any type of fatigue be it too much mid bass, too forward of mids or bright spiky treble. FH5 does a great job staying away from all of that.

With the added ergonomics and comfort of the shells. These can be listened to for hours without any type of fatigue be it fit or sound. Makes for a great every day use iem.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #454 of 2,258
I have too many earphones I am "used to." look at my profile. My current faves are my DZ12 semi customs and definitley my IT04s. Sony Z5s. HK6 are always fun to listen to as well.

No worries on the deep bass part. They do have deep bass. They didn't go overboard on the bass end however. I was told by Fiio that they do a factory burn in on the FH5 but with more use the bass quality would increase. Which I can believe. Sub bass rumble is not an issue with the FH5. It is a safe tuning meaning it does not do anything to cause any type of fatigue be it too much mid bass, too forward of mids or bright spiky treble. FH5 does a great job staying away from all of that.

With the added ergonomics and comfort of the shells. These can be listened to for hours without any type of fatigue be it fit or sound. Makes for a great every day use iem.
How you compare the bass quality/quantity of fh5 with your it04 ,,,,

Jul 17, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #455 of 2,258
I am finding the FH5 to be tip dependent for me. Which if chosen correct can open up the treble end, balance the sound better or give more bass. I was using my UE tips and the bass just comes alive for me. There is similarities in actual quanity of bass from the IT04 to the FH5 but the quality The IT04 has one of the best bass responses for any earphones that I have owned. Sub bass texture is only second to my Sony Z5. The FH5 does a great job with the bass end and is much like the rest of the sound, Bass is solid but, higher up in the sound game and you get better quality in the bass.

Jul 17, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #456 of 2,258
I am finding the FH5 to be tip dependent for me. Which if chosen correct can open up the treble end, balance the sound better or give more bass. I was using my UE tips and the bass just comes alive for me. There is similarities in actual quanity of bass from the IT04 to the FH5 but the quality The IT04 has one of the best bass responses for any earphones that I have owned. Sub bass texture is only second to my Sony Z5. The FH5 does a great job with the bass end and is much like the rest of the sound, Bass is solid but, higher up in the sound game and you get better quality in the bass.

Which one is faster?

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #457 of 2,258
Neither has slow lingering bass that I can tell. The FH5 has agile bass and is not boosted to the point where it starts to influence mids or anything like that. I would give the slight edge in speed to the IT04 as the bass is tight but I don't think either phones are going to be known for an overly boosted bass end.

Both earphones are tuned very well in the bass department. If Fiio wanted I can see the temptation of beefing up that bass end but I am glad they tuned them with a more balanced approach.

Jul 17, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #459 of 2,258
Kind of but not as drastic as something like a LZ A5. I remember on open listen the treble seemed to take a slight step back in the balancing vs the mids and bass. This is the reason why I thought HBB might have taken the screen off. I haven't felt the need to take off the screen myself as all I did was experiment with different tips.

Tips with a wider bores that sit longer on the nozzle like double flange tips or my Complys actually balances out the sound better for me vs the stock tips I tried. The stock tips are labeled. Bass, mids and balanced. And the tips do highlight these aspects on the sound tuning but again very slightly.

A greater extent with other tips. All the tips I use are large which gives a good seal for me.
My double flange I am using looks just like these. Comply Tx500 tips works well but with slightly less bass.

As long as your getting good seal in the ears, it is more subtle than what you would get with eq or tuning filters but I can tell the difference in how tips influences the sound.

double-flang-tip-blk_b.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #463 of 2,258
I see it showed up on the US Amazon site (Prime $269.99 USD).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DNYWDQH
The site says it will be in stock on July 29, 2018.

We already shipped some to amazon.com and it is in stock for couple days, but it still need time to delivery to all the warehouses in U.S, but I believe it should open for sale in very soon.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back